What's new

First impressions of the OneBlade

Oh boy! My OneBlade tracking has been updated and it is on the FedEx vehicle for delivery today!! So I will be able to do my first OneBlade shave tomorrow morning! Will post the results after shaving tomorrow morning!! Stay tuned!!:001_smile

My perspective on the OneBlade, which I finally had a chance to try out after a foray into SE shaving with a '70s Schick Injector, as well as the Mongoose. And I've been DE shaving for about 3 1/2 years.

First, some visuals.
View attachment 643080View attachment 643081View attachment 643082

And some context. I am one of those "coarse beard, soft skin" guys who has actually adopted a cold water shave to reduce redness. I've had great success with a number of DE razors across efficiency spectra, ranging from the EJ89 to the iKon ShaveCraft Tech. That being said, I do experience some challenges getting my jawline super-smooth, and occasionally my upper lip is a challenge to get clean and weeper-free.

I loaded a Feather SE in the new OneBlade and went to work with the Krampert's FrostBite. I'm not used to an pivoting head from a DE/SE, but I immediately found an easy angle with the OneBlade and the first pass was easy.

Two subsequent passes, plus some cleanup, helped achieve BBS. I believe the pivoting head might help incrementally on the jawline passes, and they certainly helped me avoid weepers on the upper lip area. I did a couple of small weepers across the corner of my mouth, which I attribute to some initial learning with the razor.

This is only a first shave, so hard to come to any conclusions beyond it did a very nice job. Comfortable and reasonably efficient, not aggressive, not Tech or R41 aggressive or close. That being said, I loved that the aftershave application response was barely a sting, even after the touch-up work I did.

At the price point, this is probably a tough call for experienced shavers - however, I can definitely envision a new wet shaver appreciating the shave quality, efficiency and comfort. Ask that being said, it's one of the best "first shaves" I can remember, and I'm thrilled to have this in my collection. A big thumbs up with the price caveat, as well as the limited blade choices.

Todd R.

Great review and pictures, Todd!! Thanks!!:thumbup:

Thanks for the initial report, [MENTION=59203]Toddster64[/MENTION]! I know I have fairly coarse whiskers, and now I'm wondering if indeed my skin is softer (more prone to weepers and irritation) than average too, which might explain why I've found something like the Mongoose trickier than others do. SE razors (and a few notable DEs) do well with my thick whiskers due to blade rigidity (no chatter!) and excellent sharpness. I'm wondering now if I should be considering mildness (as in, not prone to nick or irritate) as the other quality I should prize. I like the IDEA of an aggressive razor that just gets it done quick, but if the price is skin damage, it may not be worth it.

I must say, as I have before, from an objective perspective of closeness and no damage, that the OneBlade has shaved me better than any other razor I have. I suppose I've gotten there before with my Wolfman or an injector, but just as often my technique slips just a bit and some irritation or a weeper is the result. The OneBlade makes it close to fool-proof.

I still don't see myself getting rid of all other razors, because I like the variety and sometimes I do want the challenge. But I'd be curious to stick with the OneBlade for, say, 14 days, and see how my skin and face look at the end of it. I'm guessing the persistent red spots in one corner of my neck, and small bumps around my jaw and lip may resolve.

A clarification: were you able to achieve BBS, just not as close as with an R41?

Initial BBS - although the jawline and the usual "challenge spots" came back with some growth in a few hours, thus the caveat about the "extended duration BBS" (is that a term?) that I get with the more aggressive shavers, where regrowth seems stifled for a longer period.

Thanks for the initial report, @Toddster64! I know I have fairly coarse whiskers, and now I'm wondering if indeed my skin is softer (more prone to weepers and irritation) than average too, which might explain why I've found something like the Mongoose trickier than others do. SE razors (and a few notable DEs) do well with my thick whiskers due to blade rigidity (no chatter!) and excellent sharpness. I'm wondering now if I should be considering mildness (as in, not prone to nick or irritate) as the other quality I should prize. I like the IDEA of an aggressive razor that just gets it done quick, but if the price is skin damage, it may not be worth it.

I must say, as I have before, from an objective perspective of closeness and no damage, that the OneBlade has shaved me better than any other razor I have. I suppose I've gotten there before with my Wolfman or an injector, but just as often my technique slips just a bit and some irritation or a weeper is the result. The OneBlade makes it close to fool-proof.

I still don't see myself getting rid of all other razors, because I like the variety and sometimes I do want the challenge. But I'd be curious to stick with the OneBlade for, say, 14 days, and see how my skin and face look at the end of it. I'm guessing the persistent red spots in one corner of my neck, and small bumps around my jaw and lip may resolve.

David - I have been following your feedback and experimentation, so I appreciate the lead you and others have set in helping get me to a point where I made the plunge.

Like you, I'm also hesitant to break from my DE investment but I think I will try an extended effort with the OneBlade and test a few parameters, such as length of effectiveness with the Feather as well as the de-spined GEM performance.

I am impressed with the comfort the OneBlade has to offer as well as the "error margin" you describe so eloquently. That being said, I feel (and this is only after one shave) that the OneBlade will perform even more efficiently with at least decent technique, and while the margin for error may be greater vs. some DEs, even an experienced user can probably appreciate what this has to offer.

At the price point and with the limited number of blades, I understand how this could be a polarizing product. That being said, it delivers what they claim and I can't wait to get more shaves under my belt.

Tomorrows the day.

Yes, Mischief, it is!! I got the OneBlade today! I loaded up the blade into the razor to get it all ready for tomorrow morning. In loading the blade, I noted, and it was mentioned before in another post/review either on this forum or something that I previously read, that on the blade there is a small residue of glue that came from the wrapping paper of the blade. I highly recommend that you remove that glue before inserting the blade into the razor. It is easy to do, you can just rub it off with a little soap (just hold the blade by it's dull end so you don't cut yourself). So I am ready for my morning shave tomorrow. It looks like a very fine, quality razor!:001_smile

Yes, Mischief, it is!! I got the OneBlade today! I loaded up the blade into the razor to get it all ready for tomorrow morning. In loading the blade, I noted, and it was mentioned before in another post/review either on this forum or something that I previously read, that on the blade there is a small residue of glue that came from the wrapping paper of the blade. I highly recommend that you remove that glue before inserting the blade into the razor. It is easy to do, you can just rub it off with a little soap (just hold the blade by it's dull end so you don't cut yourself). So I am ready for my morning shave tomorrow. It looks like a very fine, quality razor!:001_smile

Very much looking forward to your first impressions after the shave, Ed. Congrats on the new razor!

Either IronmanEd has been stunned into submission by the quality of the shave.......

OR

Is too embarrassed to talk about how he should gave saved his money.

Either IronmanEd has been stunned into submission by the quality of the shave.......

OR

Is too embarrassed to talk about how he should gave saved his money.

Neither, Mischief! I am retired, so I don't get up as early as you! However, I did shower, shave (with my OneBlade), got dressed, made a pot of green tea with my Breville, One Touch Tea Maker (another quality product that I recommend) and pour me a cup of tea and am now sitting at my computer to give my "first impressions of the OneBlade". So here it goes: After showering, I proceeded to do my first shave with the OneBlade. I used my best Thater silver tip brush, and a fresh pluck of Tabac Shaving Soap. First I applied some Castle Forbes pre shave lotion on my 2 day growth beard. Whipped a nice later with my Thater brush and applied to my bread for the first pass. Did the first pass all wtg and got a "reasonable" smooth shave. Shaving was easy and a "piece of cake" with the OneBlade, no weepers or irritation on the first pass. Whipped up some lather, and applied to my beard for the second pass. Did the second pass partly xtg and partly atg. Rinsed off, felt my face, and decided that it was mostly BBS and DFS. There was a little stubble still under my jawbone in the neck area (the hardest part for me to get a BBS). So I decided to do a third, aggressive pass on that area. I am proud to say that I did accomplish a BBS shave in that area, however, in doing so, being more aggressive, I did get some small weepers and mild irritation in that area. Rinsed off, and applied a cold wet towel to my face. I then rubbed some Osma Bloc d'Alum all over my face (did not need any septic pencil or nick relief as weepers were very minor). After waiting approx. 5 minutes I used the cold wet towel to rinse off the Alum Bloc. Patted dry with another clean towel (I keep several clean shaving towels nearby when shaving), and applied some Thayer Medicated Superhazel with Aloe Vera all over my shaved area. After that dried, I applied my favorite aftershave milk, Antica Barbieria Colla, Red Sandalwood Aftershave Milk. BBS all over!!:thumbup:

Okay, now my opinion of the OneBlade: It is a quality razor, over-priced, but good quality. I would guess that the direct cost of the razor (it is manufactured in China), is under $100. So at $300 a pop, they have an approx. 300% mark-up. It shaves well, but IMO, the shaves that I get from my ATT's, Mongoose, Mergress and Futur are just as good. I particularly like my ATT S1 slant and my Mongoose. Will I keep my OneBlade? Definitely! It is a great razor and will be a collector item someday (and besides I have over a years supply of the Feather Blades for the razor). Also, IMO (wearing my CPA hat), unless the OneBlade Company changes it marketing strategies, they will not be in business for too long. After they have saturated their market, their revenue stream will evaporate, because not too many people will be willing to pay $.95 a blade to them when they can get the same blade for $.60 - .65 elsewhere, nor will they be willing to pay $400 for a Thater brush when they can get the same brush for $215 elsewhere. And regarding their $1000/$2500 "collector razors" . . . . . . come on now, we aren't all that gullible!:w00t: Those of you that getting their OneBlade today, good luck and I look forward to seeing your "First Impressions"!!:thumbup:

Thanks for your first thoughts, Ed. Sounds like a nice shave overall (and gotta love the Tabac). I've noticed that if I really push the OneBlade I can end up with (very minor) irritation, and even a weeper, but again, I have to really push it. The razor lets me get away with more (pressure, buffing, quick ATG passes) than any of my other razors. I'd guess that as you get used to it, the same areas that became a bit irritated today will be treated very well.

I do wonder at the long-term sustainability of the company, but I don't know enough about their business (or business in general) to have an informed guess. I didn't want to like the razor, honestly, because I don't like the sort of "finance bro" vibe of the company itself. And yet for me there's no denying the beauty, high quality, and intelligence of the OneBlade itself. I'm happy to have one just as an artifact of great design and materials; it helps that it also shaves me so beautifully.

As I've said before, though, I'm also happy to have other excellent razors, as each has its own personality and virtues. It's a luxury not to have to choose just one. That said, I don't like having a big collection, so I'll keep paring things down to the few that are truly exceptional for me. I'm pretty sure the OneBlade will remain on this short list.

Thanks for your first thoughts, Ed. Sounds like a nice shave overall (and gotta love the Tabac). I've noticed that if I really push the OneBlade I can end up with (very minor) irritation, and even a weeper, but again, I have to really push it. The razor lets me get away with more (pressure, buffing, quick ATG passes) than any of my other razors. I'd guess that as you get used to it, the same areas that became a bit irritated today will be treated very well.

I do wonder at the long-term sustainability of the company, but I don't know enough about their business (or business in general) to have an informed guess. I didn't want to like the razor, honestly, because I don't like the sort of "finance bro" vibe of the company itself. And yet for me there's no denying the beauty, high quality, and intelligence of the OneBlade itself. I'm happy to have one just as an artifact of great design and materials; it helps that it also shaves me so beautifully.

As I've said before, though, I'm also happy to have other excellent razors, as each has its own personality and virtues. It's a luxury not to have to choose just one. That said, I don't like having a big collection, so I'll keep paring things down to the few that are truly exceptional for me. I'm pretty sure the OneBlade will remain on this short list.

Well said, David! I agree!

Top Bottom