What's new

First impressions of my Gillette Sensor Excel razor (compared to the Fusion).

Good afternoon all.

As mentioned in another post I was lucky to find a brand new Gillette Sensor Excel razor still in it's packaging in my local charity shop.

Here is my first impression of it (compared to the Gillette Fusion)

IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg

Compared to the Fusion the Sensor looks much more like a proper razor and less of a spacecraft. The Sensor looks much more mature with it's understated brushed metal finish and grey rubber indents. The Fusion looks like a toy in comparison, plus the mechanism to hold the blade on the Fusion seems plastiky and flimsy in comparison to the Sensor. The Sensor does indeed feel much nicer in the hand.

I really cannot understand WHY Gillette have to over-design their newer razors. I better treat my Sensor like gold dust because if heaven forbid the handle gets lost or damaged it will be really hard to get a replacement!

The Fusion does have a saving grace though. It still has the storage caddy that holds the razor and a pack of replacement blades which I know is no longer made.

Jason.

This answers the questions I just posted in your other thread. Can you still get the carts for this one? If so, that's awesome. Treasure it!

Edit: Looking at your photos it is triggering serious deja vu. I wonder if maybe I had one of these back in the day, before the Mach 3 came along and made my shaving life miserable.

I had one of these back in the day. I picked it up because my dads Bic disposable razors cut me up something bad. I used it a bunch before moving to the Mach3 Power. Heck I'd probably still be using the Mach3 Power if the last of my stash hadn't died. I liked it a lot better than the Fusion Power.

You can buy 3rd party handles for many razors now, even the Sensor Excel.

This answers the questions I just posted in your other thread. Can you still get the carts for this one? If so, that's awesome. Treasure it!

Edit: Looking at your photos it is triggering serious deja vu. I wonder if maybe I had one of these back in the day, before the Mach 3 came along and made my shaving life miserable.
The carts are still available. Even ‘compatible’ carts are available on eBay.

Jason.

Good afternoon all.

As mentioned in another post I was lucky to find a brand new Gillette Sensor Excel razor still in it's packaging in my local charity shop.

Here is my first impression of it (compared to the Gillette Fusion)

View attachment 1702598.View attachment 1702599View attachment 1702600

Compared to the Fusion the Sensor looks much more like a proper razor and less of a spacecraft. The Sensor looks much more mature with it's understated brushed metal finish and grey rubber indents. The Fusion looks like a toy in comparison, plus the mechanism to hold the blade on the Fusion seems plastiky and flimsy in comparison to the Sensor. The Sensor does indeed feel much nicer in the hand.

I really cannot understand WHY Gillette have to over-design their newer razors. I better treat my Sensor like gold dust because if heaven forbid the handle gets lost or damaged it will be really hard to get a replacement!

The Fusion does have a saving grace though. It still has the storage caddy that holds the razor and a pack of replacement blades which I know is no longer made.

Jason.
Gillette Sensor is my favorite cartridge razor, I have 2, one lives in my travel bag, the other in my bathroom.
I have been using them since my Atra's got enough soap scum in the mechanism that they would no longer hold a cartridge reliably. Looking back I probably should have just cleaned them. I did just clean my Sensors so they don't suffer the same fate.

I am venturing into DE shaving now, with a Razorock GC that should arrive today. Only time will tell if it will displace my Sensor from home use. I find it doubtful as I get such an easy quick and close shave from the Sensor, its only downside is clogging if I have more than about 3 days growth

The last cartridge razor I ever used regularly. Saw me through deployment in Iraq....though by the time I got to Afghan I had moved on to DE. It was a great razor.

Top Bottom