What's new

First Brisket, any tips?

So much great advice. I am taking it all in and doing some light reading on those links. I will keep you all posted on what I am gonna do. And of course pictures will follow of the cook.

And the games begin. $uploadfromtaptalk1428003876372.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You might look up some home made versions and tweak one to your taste. As far as store bought rubs, around here I get either one from Stubbs or Atkins, not sure if either are available in your area. I do all my smoking between 250 and 275. I cover brisket and ribs in regular yellow mustard, then apply the dry rub. Now here is where you will get different answers, but this is what I do. I smoke brisket fat side up for 2 to 3 hours, then flip for another 2 to 3 hours. After this time I cover in foil and finish cooking, after I take it off the smoker, I wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler until time to slice and serve. I figure approx. 45 minutes per pound on cooking time..... lots of different methods, have fun and good luck.

Stubbs makes my favorite sauce- I will be on the look out for his rub.

Trimmed up, injected and dusted, and wrapped for the night.

Used a mixture of turbinado, pepper, kosher salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and cumin. Injection was straight beef broth.

$uploadfromtaptalk1428011410638.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1428011426420.jpg

And after 3.5 hours, the small piece is resting in the oven for a couple hours. Will get a tasty test at lunch.

Bigger piece is foiled and in the stall. Braising in some beef broth for moisture.

And the big one is off. Still tightly wrapped in foil and in the oven at 170 resting for dinner.

Small one is tasty!

$uploadfromtaptalk1428084319477.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like your first try was a success!!!

You going to make burnt ends out of any of it?

The wife and I ate the whole of what was there. That was just the small piece. The large piece is about to go back on the traeger on high to crisp the bark for dinner.

Probably no burnt ends

Its obviously too late for this as you already cooked it, but I was talking to a buddy the other day who's dad had made "the best brisket ever. He has a two level smoker so on the higher level he put a pound of bacon, straight on the rack. Directly below that on the lower rack he placed the brisket. He took this and wrapped the bottom and sides with foil so the top was still open - similar to if you put the brisket in a big tin can. As the bacon cooked it dripped the fat down on the brisket and kept it nice and moist while adding a whole mess of flavor.

Plus, then you have smoked bacon to snack on :a23:

Top Bottom