What's new

First attempt at a SR shave today

Tried out my 5/8 Marcella razor "rescue" today. No blood, but not much of a shave, either, for a couple reasons. Cheeks and part of my chin, where it became fairly obvious I needed more hone work. Shaved better there than on my cheeks though.

First, I don't think I have the bevel set properly on the razor, a project this week to flatten stones and re-hone. Pulled a lot, so I assume it's not really sharp yet.

Second, WTG shaving is a total waste for me, my beard hair seems to grow almost parallel to the skin, so WTG just sharpens the hairs to a chisel point. Needless to say, ATG with a straight will wait for a bit, especially with my left hand.

All in all I'm quite pleased, with some work getting the razor properly honed and learning to handle it without slashing myself, I think I may get addicted.

I finished the shave with my usual DE setup, and got a very nice shave.

I’m at the point where I can get through my first WTG pass very nicely and finish with DE. My cheeks are amazingly smooth.

My big issue is getting my jaw line which grows horizontally from chin to ears. An XTG with a straight is kind of scary until I figure it out. It is necessary to get my jaws, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Over the years, I've taken considerable heat for my counterintuitive suggestion that a beginner should attempt to finish with a straight after starting his shave with a DE, not vice versa. There are so many variables to using a straight that one may cast the blame for a less than satisfactory shave in the wrong direction, eg: I didn't get a good shave- that guy said the razor he sold me was shave ready, but it was a dud.

Honing is very important, and not learned overnight. So is stropping. But the correct shaving technique is harder still. For both honing and stropping, the blade is held flat on the hone or strop. For shaving, you have to control the angle rather than rely on the angle that is largely preset into a cartridge, DE, or injector at the factory. I find that easier to do on subsequent passes, as it's easier to feel the angle after the bulk of the hair has been whisked away. Running your blade over skin that has basically been shaved already can allow you to fully concentrate on the feel of the edge as it relates to the angle of attack. Any way you look at it, it's a rare person who can get it right in the first several attempts.

Congratulations!

My first 50ish SR/shavette shaves were also 2 pass open blade, finishing pass with DE. You’ll make that transition to full openblade soon enough, but why rush if you feel OK about what you’re doing, right?

I'm quite happy with minimal irritation and no blood. Plenty of time to get it worked out.

Exactly correct sir. Well done. You will find approaches and angles that work for you. Instead of directly WTG, or 90 gegrees XTG have you given any thought to splitting the difference and going soft wtg/xtg? That might be a good starting point to help you cut whiskers closer to the skin, but not irritate your face unduly.

So welcome to the club! Pulling might be more due to angle than edge. Both too steep and too shallow can cause pulling even with a real sharp edge. That’s part of the learning curve, the same symptoms of lackluster shaved-ness could indicate multiple distinct causes.

Razor was definitely dull, had to take it back to my 300 grit King Deluxe stone to get the bevel set. Only made it up through my 6k stone tonight though, as I was honing six of them and standing. My ankle won't take too much of that, so I'll finish tomorrow, and find a way to sit while I'm honing.

So far I have not been able to compromise on angle, have to go directly against the the grain to get a close shave. Maybe a really well honed straight will help, but I doubt it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A well honed razor is the key to straight shaving and a properly set bevel is key to a well honed razor. You did the right thing to make sure your bevel was set. If it isn’t, all future honing will be a waste of time.

Tried out my 5/8 Marcella razor "rescue" today. No blood, but not much of a shave, either, for a couple reasons. Cheeks and part of my chin, where it became fairly obvious I needed more hone work. Shaved better there than on my cheeks though.

First, I don't think I have the bevel set properly on the razor, a project this week to flatten stones and re-hone. Pulled a lot, so I assume it's not really sharp yet.

Second, WTG shaving is a total waste for me, my beard hair seems to grow almost parallel to the skin, so WTG just sharpens the hairs to a chisel point. Needless to say, ATG with a straight will wait for a bit, especially with my left hand.

All in all I'm quite pleased, with some work getting the razor properly honed and learning to handle it without slashing myself, I think I may get addicted.

I finished the shave with my usual DE setup, and got a very nice shave.

Welcome to the club! Congrats on your first shave and managing to make it through unscathed. As I'm sure you are aware, closeness will come in time and as you said, there's no rush. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I’m at the point where I can get through my first WTG pass very nicely and finish with DE. My cheeks are amazingly smooth.

My big issue is getting my jaw line which grows horizontally from chin to ears. An XTG with a straight is kind of scary until I figure it out. It is necessary to get my jaws, I believe.

Although you have much more straight razor shaving experience than I do, I think with how much YMMV things are, everyone's opinions can be equally valuable. So here's mine.

I've been having issue with my jaw line as well and (you've probably tried it, but) what works well for me is when I'm shaving my cheeks, I stretch my skin upwards as much as I can so the skin that is normally below my jaw rolls up to the bottom of me cheek. This gives me a much flatter surface to shave on. I do exactly the opposite when shaving my neck... I pull my neck skin as far down as possible (slightly angled toward my throat) which drags the skin farther down and makes it a little more accessible.

Welcome to the club! Congrats on your first shave and managing to make it through unscathed. As I'm sure you are aware, closeness will come in time and as you said, there's no rush. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Although you have much more straight razor shaving experience than I do, I think with how much YMMV things are, everyone's opinions can be equally valuable. So here's mine.

I've been having issue with my jaw line as well and (you've probably tried it, but) what works well for me is when I'm shaving my cheeks, I stretch my skin upwards as much as I can so the skin that is normally below my jaw rolls up to the bottom of me cheek. This gives me a much flatter surface to shave on. I do exactly the opposite when shaving my neck... I pull my neck skin as far down as possible (slightly angled toward my throat) which drags the skin farther down and makes it a little more accessible.

I’m no so sure I’m that much more if any more experienced. Besides, newcomers frequently bring new ideas.

Yes, I have tried that. But until I go ATG, nothing is smooth. On my jaws, XTG, ie horizontal, is ATG, because my whiskers grow horizontally from chin to ears there.

Now I have contemplated pulling my jaws up on my face for a horizontal stroke, and maybe that’s what you are meaning. I’m contemplating 45° strokes to get more blade on the skin as well.

Now I have contemplated pulling my jaws up on my face for a horizontal stroke, and maybe that’s what you are meaning. I’m contemplating 45° strokes to get more blade on the skin as well.
That exactly what I was meaning. It's working well for me thus far, but at the moment I'm only going WTG, so I don't expect it to be smooth in all directions. WTG it feels very smooth.

That exactly what I was meaning. It's working well for me thus far, but at the moment I'm only going WTG, so I don't expect it to be smooth in all directions. WTG it feels very smooth.

It feels very smooth for me too, even with a DE, until run my hand on my jaw, stern to stem. I don’t think there is a way to get the jaw until you shave it stern to stem.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It feels very smooth for me too, even with a DE, until run my hand on my jaw, stern to stem. I don’t think there is a way to get the jaw until you shave it stern to stem.

You are exactly right about new guys bringing new ideas. After you learn to shave you tend to forget how you learned in the first place. I’m glad we newbies have our chats as we aren’t set in our ways yet.

You are exactly right about new guys bringing new ideas. After you learn to shave you tend to forget how you learned in the first place. I’m glad we newbies have our chats as we aren’t set in our ways yet.
++ here as well. It seems I started at exactly the right time.

Razor was definitely dull, had to take it back to my 300 grit King Deluxe stone to get the bevel set. Only made it up through my 6k stone tonight though, as I was honing six of them and standing. My ankle won't take too much of that, so I'll finish tomorrow, and find a way to sit while I'm honing.

So far I have not been able to compromise on angle, have to go directly against the the grain to get a close shave. Maybe a really well honed straight will help, but I doubt it.

A well honed razor will help immensely!

Over the years, I've taken considerable heat for my counterintuitive suggestion that a beginner should attempt to finish with a straight after starting his shave with a DE, not vice versa. There are so many variables to using a straight that one may cast the blame for a less than satisfactory shave in the wrong direction, eg: I didn't get a good shave- that guy said the razor he sold me was shave ready, but it was a dud.

Honing is very important, and not learned overnight. So is stropping. But the correct shaving technique is harder still. For both honing and stropping, the blade is held flat on the hone or strop. For shaving, you have to control the angle rather than rely on the angle that is largely preset into a cartridge, DE, or injector at the factory. I find that easier to do on subsequent passes, as it's easier to feel the angle after the bulk of the hair has been whisked away. Running your blade over skin that has basically been shaved already can allow you to fully concentrate on the feel of the edge as it relates to the angle of attack. Any way you look at it, it's a rare person who can get it right in the first several attempts.
Actually that suggestion is a very good one especially when learning XTG and ATG. If you have even, closely cut stubble from the DE shave you will get the hang of those passes more easily whilst you are learning.

No heat from me - only warmth for a good recommendation.

Actually that suggestion is a very good one especially when learning XTG and ATG. If you have even, closely cut stubble from the DE shave you will get the hang of those passes more easily whilst you are learning.

No heat from me - only warmth for a good recommendation.
Is this because the blade is less likely to hang up or skip when the shave is already faurlf close?

Top Bottom