What's new

Fire hose strop caution.

So, are strops made from fire hose material that were once used to deliver fire retardants? If not, are you still saying a risk exists?

No idea. Thinking that a cloth used in fighting fires has been treated before being used isn't a stretch either. I don't know for sure. All I'm saying is to think about it. But I'm not on a crusade. Everyone should make their own mind up.

As far as I am aware, linen fire hose was only used for water. The water and pressure soaked the fabric, made it swell, and that's what makes it water tight. So, with that my understanding would be there would be no need for a fire retardant on the exterior of the hose because the hose remains wet while it is in use.

Guys! I'm not a scientist or a doctor. And i don't have the answers. You may or may not have any risk. I don't know. I saw this article and thought bringing it up was a good idea. You use it to strop the thing that goes on your face. And whatever is in the strop is probably airborne .What does it all mean? I don't know. For me it's an unnecessary risk. For you? No idea.

An interesting premise. I too would think the old fire-hose components would not have been used as fire hose previously, and if they had, would have been used with water without the flame retardants in question. But I'm no expert on the subject. Synthetic and rubber-lined fire hose seems to have been introduced more recently. In reading the article as linked, I was under the impression the problem with the flame retardants arose when they began to heat and smoke, not through daily handling. But again, I don't think this would have included the fire hose linen of old.

Guys! I'm not a scientist or a doctor. And i don't have the answers. You may or may not have any risk. I don't know. I saw this article and thought bringing it up was a good idea. You use it to strop the thing that goes on your face. And whatever is in the strop is probably airborne .What does it all mean? I don't know. For me it's an unnecessary risk. For you? No idea.

While I appreciate your drawing attention to the possibility of contaminants, with a new hose material, I see nothing that makes me concerned.

Look around .I've seen them posts. "I got 60 feet of firehose for free" and then how dirty the water is after they washed it. Lol. Always made me think about it. How easy would it be to get this material and use it? No idea again. But I'm sure it's out there.

Look around .I've seen them posts. "I got 60 feet of firehose for free" and then how dirty the water is after they washed it. Lol. Always made me think about it. How easy would it be to get this material and use it? No idea again. But I'm sure it's out there.

Yes, but those are often the ones that are lined with rubber and are too thick for practical use as a strop anyway.

I just searched on firehose manufacturing. Some have an internal rubber sleeve. There is no indication fire retardant is part of the process. Of course, impossible to speculate on what’s been put through used hose.

I just searched on firehose manufacturing. Some have an internal rubber sleeve. There is no indication fire retardant is part of the process. Of course, impossible to speculate on what’s been put through used hose.
Yes. And if it was used to spray fire retardant it's logical that it may have been saturated with the same.

Draw your own conclusions. No expert here .I've stated my opinion. Use it don't use it. Doesn't matter to me.

Knew a guy once who told me....
“You can’t be a Prophet in your own back yard.”
Best cloth strop I own is the Tony Miller fine weave cotton.
It even sounds good.....
I have no need for firehose. It was designed for fighting fires and I don’t have an issue with razor burn........

I just did a search for used fire hose. It's out there and seems cheap. Buck a foot and up. Sounds like a cheap way to get materials. I guarantee its out there. Used and maybe loaded with chemicals. Your call again.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Did the article even mention flame retardant fire hose? Children's clothing, especially pajamas used to (still do) contain flame retardant chemicals as well as many of our household products and building materials. The article seems to be addressing them and what happens when they actually burn and the resulting fumes. I saw no mention of the hoses containing or being used to distribute them though unless I missed something.

It's out there for sale cheap. So it only makes sense that some of this hose used in strops could be contaminated. Which ones? No idea. My take was always to stay away from it. There are flax makers out there where there is no chance of this happening. I would never use firehose. But that's me.

Top Bottom