What's new

Review - 1980s Severodonetsk-1 Adjustable From Ukraine

I saw this on eBay for $20 + $12 shipping, and made a lowball offer of $15+ $12 shipping, which was promptly accepted
After only 10 days shipping from Ukraine to Spain it arrived yesterday.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/311675610455?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I was expecting it to be an all metal Gillette Slim clone, I had intended to keep as a replacement for my Ideal Adjustable, which I was planning to sell.
When I unwrapped it I gulped - it looks like a clone of a Gillette Fatboy - I'm keeping the Ideal alongside the Severodonetsk-1.
There are some minor signs of wear and tear, especially on the silo doors, but overall it's in very good condition for a razor that was made in CCCP around 30 years ago.
The seller did quite a good job cleaning it, but as he'd missed a bit of gunk on the black plastic tip of the handle, I gave it an extra scrub under the hot tap and it came up nicely.

The TTO opens and closes fairly smoothly, and although it doesn't lock, when the silo doors are shut, they stay shut.
The Adjustment Ring adjusts perfectly into place with a crisp, satisfying click. There is no paint on the 1-9 numbers which makes them a bit difficult to read, but it's no big deal to just count the clicks.
It's very well made, the silo doors are perfectly aligned and it's so solidly constructed it feels like it's bulletproof - if (perish the thought) it ever gets accidentally dropped, I think it will bounce

I had read on here that the Fatboy is a bit on the mild side, and after a few quick blade gap comparisons against my trusty Wizamet W-11 I was 100% sure that this is a fairly mild razor too.

I overslept this morning, so the razor got it's baptism by fire because time was not on my side.
I loaded it with one of the Sputnik blades that came with the razor, lathered up a La Toja Shaving Stick with my Vie Long 4101 in my Turkish Hammered Copper Shaving Mug and had a quick 3 pass shave + buffing.

WTG - Setting #7
I started on #6, but dialled up to #7 after a couple of strokes.
It's got a nice weight, similar to a Long Handled Weishi 9306, and good balance, it's very smooth and comfortable to shave with, and seems to be fairly forgiving.
It reduced down 38 hour's worth of stubble without too much effort - I knew I was going to enjoy today's shave.
XTG - Setting #6
Gliding smoothly and easily, no dragging, and considering the speed that I was shaving, it seems fairly foolproof.
ATG - Setting #5
Cheeks, top lip and chin nice and smooth, handled well under my nostrils, which are one of my trouble spots, always a sign of a good razor. I had a couple of small weepers between my lower lip and chin, but no big deal, it's another trouble spot at the best of times, and besides time was an issue.
Below the jawline and neck area passable, but as they're my worst trouble spots they always need more work with any of my razors and blades.

Buffing S to N - Setting #3
This razor comes into it's own for buffing - very quick and easy, it just slides around like greased lightning

Buffing N to S - Setting #3
It already looks close enough for a screen test, so just buffing for the sake of a bit of extra smoothness.

A cold facecloth and my alum block, followed by another cold facecloth a couple of minutes later I knew I'd had a good shave.
I treated myself to a splash of Troynoy, which I'd doctored with a menthol crystal - the lemon scent combined with the face freeze of the menthol made my face feel like a million dollars.
It's not BBS, but it's very smooth and close and only feels a bit sandpapery if I run the back of my hand ATG around my neck and just under my chin, which was more down to speed than anything else - It usually takes me twice as long to get results this good

I've got no doubts that when I have my shave tomorrow at a more leisurely pace and starting with #8, then #7, then #6 and #4 for buffing S-N and finally #3 for buffing N-S, even if it isn't BBS, it won't be far from it.
This one's a keeper

$20160825_121308.jpgView attachment 683965 View attachment 683967 $20160825_121337.jpg

And finally - I'll leave you with an earworm...................
This song has been playing pinball inside my head since yesterday :lol:

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=...RdI_4J6X5JmxanjAGnxM0w&bvm=bv.130731782,d.ZGg

... I'm going to refer to it as Fat Chance, as in fat chance I'll ever remember how to spell its name.
Go to the blackboard and write this 1000 times, Carrot:

Cеверодонецк
Cеверодонецк
Cеверодонецк
Cеверодонецк
Cеверодонецк
Cеверодонецк
Cеверодонецк
Cеверодонецк...

Very nice razor! Thank you for the review. I enjoy using , collecting Eastern European adjustable razors.
Some of my favorites are Consul (slim clone on steroids), Wizamet W-10, 11 and the Rubin. They are all built like tanks and shave wonderfully.

Do you have a close up picture of just your razor and case if it came with one? Please post pics of others to, they don't get enough attention.

Cheers
John

Very nice razor! Thank you for the review. I enjoy using , collecting Eastern European adjustable razors.
Some of my favorites are Consul (slim clone on steroids), Wizamet W-10, 11 and the Rubin. They are all built like tanks and shave wonderfully.

Do you have a close up picture of just your razor and case if it came with one? Please post pics of others to, they don't get enough attention.

Cheers
John

There are some nice pics in the eBay ad.....

http://www.ebay.es/itm/311675610455?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm not much good with cameras, but......
Comparison of Severodonetsk-1 with my Ideal Adjustable
View attachment 684216View attachment 684217

Underside of case
View attachment 684219View attachment 684220

Motif on tip of handle
View attachment 684221

Top Bottom