What's new

Finishing stone!

I have been honing a on Norton 4k/8k stones I can get a good edge with the stones. I want to get a finishing stone so I can get smoother shaving edge. I'm not looking for a super expensive stone

I'd say keep your eyes on eBay for a small thuri or coticule. In the past few months I've snagged maybe six small coticules under $50 and three thuris under $60.

You can also watch the superior shave's coticule page. They get some size six and seven bouts that are a nice size/shape for the money from time to time.

There are some good deals around on the Naniwa 10K which is significantly cheaper than its 12K version.
A cheaper, natural option is the Imperia La Roccia. I have been using it for my past few razors and it has been working well. It is a slow cutter, so I am actually using it after a Naniwa 10K. The intermediate step can be eliminated be spending longer and using slurry though.

Seeing as you have 4 k 8 k norton I don't see why you don't go with the 12 k naniwa. My mate used the nortons for at least a year he finished on crox balsa. He honed tons of razors on the nortons, truly mastering the nortons. He did say the 12 k naniwa made a promising difference.

if you fancy a natural stone for ease and easier results I,d go for a j nat.

Top Bottom