What's new

Finally Tried TABAC

The scent may or may not grow on you but I would experiment with my lathering technique a bit. Tabac is a slick soap and miles better than Ivory bath soap which I have shaved with just for S&Gs.

I do have an advantage because I like strong scents so Tabac is a favourite and so is Arko. Arko is also a very slick soap for me.

Bob

I was going to give TABAC one more shot, but from your responses perhaps there's a learning curve that must be addressed to appreciate its seemingly discreet attributes.

I stand behind my statement.

I think you're treating my comments as a slight against Tabac. Perhaps your even own shares in Maurer & Wirtz. It's not meant as a negative to Tabac but simply that it's not the slickest soap I've ever used. Tabac, in my journal, I rated as a 5/5. A title of slick would go to Williams - but I don't consider Williams anywhere near a top soap.

I have to agree that Williams is about as slick as it gets IF you know how to lather it right. I would put Tabac up there in slickness as well but I would say I've never got Tabac nearly as slick as Williams.

I was going to give TABAC one more shot, but from your responses perhaps there's a learning curve that must be addressed to appreciate its seemingly discreet attributes.

I found Tabac to be one that had no learning curve but I would recommend starting with a heavy brushing and face lather it to get the best results. Like Cella most find it lathers with easy but a few have some issues at first, especially with hard water, but it's really one of the easiest soaps to work with.

Tabac - what a polarizing soap. At first I wasn't sure I could get used to the scent. The performance has been so good I think my brain has now associated the scent with great performance and now I salivate at the scent. It is always my go to following a not so good shave from the prior day or when I travel because it works so well under so many conditions. At home I have softened water and it works great. I've been in an area in the middle east known for some of the highest mineral content and hardest water in the world. There I couldn't get any soap to make more than a slippery slime but even there Tabac worked. I'm sure in Germany Tabac is a nostalgic scent like Clubman in the US or Floid in Spain and the scent surely will not be for everyone - but the performance has always been at the top of the myriad of soaps I have used.

Tabac is awesome and my primary go to -
Not sure I have had it perform like Ivory soap before... you sure you didn't lather a brick of Ivory instead? :lol:

I love everything about this soap, and it is one of my go-to's. It definitely has a strong scent and I can see why a few people wouldn't like it, but IMHO, the scent is great!

Still my favorite go-to as well. Scent is personal - I love it. For me only Arko lathers easier. Water hardness does play major role though. I can tell when our water softener is due to cycle by how poor my soap lathers.

Tabac, to me, is a love/ hate relationship.
Love the lather.
Love the slickness and feel.
Hate the smell.
Hate the price.
Has it earned a permanent spot in my soap rotation and will I buy it again??
No.
I personally think that you should like everything about a soap if you are going spend the money to put it in the rotation and use it regularly.

Pete <:-}

Tabac, to me, is a love/ hate relationship.
Love the lather.
Love the slickness and feel.
Hate the smell.
Hate the price.
Has it earned a permanent spot in my soap rotation and will I buy it again??
No.
I personally think that you should like everything about a soap if you are going spend the money to put it in the rotation and use it regularly.

Pete <:-}
Cannot argue with your logic.

Tabac is one of the easiest-to-lather and slickest shaving soaps available. I understand people not liking or even hating the scent. I understand people thinking it's priced a little too high (though it lasts for ages, so is it really?) but...having trouble with the lather? I can't understand that. Just about the only thing that lathers easier than Tabac is Arko.

I quite like Tabac. I like powdery scents so that was never going to be an issue. I use a stick of it so I have to manage the amount of product on the face with the right amount of water. I find Tabac is pretty thirsty and handles a fair amount of water for a given amount of product.

It's starts pasty in a face application and damp brush but as stated previously, as you add water to the lather bit by bit, you reach 'critical mass' and the lather explodes in volume and hits a nice creamy slick consistency.

Water is the secret...needs to be managed or you can get too dry.

On the last shave ofmy Tabac stick. Nothing short of top notch. If you don't like the scent initially, put it away for 6 months and come back to it. It mellows significantly. I'd also argue the lather smells a bit different than the actual soap.

Tabac is one of the easiest-to-lather and slickest shaving soaps available. I understand people not liking or even hating the scent. I understand people thinking it's priced a little too high (though it lasts for ages, so is it really?) but...having trouble with the lather? I can't understand that. Just about the only thing that lathers easier than Tabac is Arko.

The only soaps that I've found easier than Tabac to build a lather are: Arko, Catie's Bubbles, Magard's, PdP and MdC. I'm sure there are a few others I haven't tried but certainly it's not a long list. Tabac lasts about as long as any soap possibly could so the cost per shave is a lot lower than many cheaper soaps, particularly croaps since you tend to use a lot of croap per shave.

Tabac and Arko didn&#8217;t work out for me either. Tabac performed well enough for me that I gave it a second chance despite hating the scent.

I'm trying to think up an outdoor use for Arko.

Outdoor use for Arko? I've got a better idea, if you've got neighbors you dislike, slip it into a crawl space in their house, they're sure to move out soon after:lol:

I've seen a number of posts related to price. Recently I picked up Tabac in the ceramic jar on Amazon for $17 and a refill puck for $10.50. Now that's cheap for what you get and how long it lasts.

Top Bottom