What's new

Finally Tried TABAC

Guess I better let it sit a couple of weeks unwrapped, then try it again. However, smell and lubricity (under a straight razor) was reminiscent of Ivory soap.

Don't much like powdery scents and read in another TABAC thread that after the initial airing out, that's primarily what's left.

So far, I've tried Taconic (soap and cream), Captain's Choice, Simpsons, Ogallala, Sir Hare, Gentleman's Hanger and now TABAC.

Didn't care for the scent of the Sir Hare - Drunken Sailor - Bay Rum.
Had what appeared to be an allergic to the Simpsons.
I like mixing the Taconic bay rum and Ogallala bay rum w/sweet orange.

BUT, as far as a smoooooth shave, Gentleman's Hanger is nothing short of a miracle. No, I have no financial interest in Gentleman's Hanger, nor friends with any connections to them. Just astonished that a somewhat low viscosity cream could provide such great lubricity and moisture retention.

If the TABAC doesn't start to grow on me during the next shave with it, like the Sir Hare - Drunken Sailor, it will get palmed off on the teenage sons.

So if I read you right you `re sitting on the fence with Tabac because of scent and it performs like Ivory?

So if I read you right you `re sitting on the fence with Tabac because of scent and it performs like Ivory?

Smelled a bit like Ivory. Didn't seem to have much more lubricity than a standard Ivory type bar soap.

I think that I may be seeing poorer performance in most of the soaps I've tried due to very hard water here.

Smelled a bit like Ivory. Didn't seem to have much more lubricity than a standard Ivory type bar soap.

I think that I may be seeing poorer performance in most of the soaps I've tried due to very hard water here.

I would load it a lot longer. I've never used Tabac, but generally, when I get bar soap type performance out of a shaving soap, it's because I'm not using enough product.

I would load it a lot longer. I've never used Tabac, but generally, when I get bar soap type performance out of a shaving soap, it's because I'm not using enough product.

I've only just started my first puck of Tabac. I too was on the fence over the scent for quite a while. I could have easily have seen myself falling to either side of that fence.

After the first week: I started to warm up to the scent and I really like it now. I'm now considering the aftershave products and ordering a couple more pucks of it. Even my wife, who complained when she first caught a whiff of it that it was vile, now really likes it.

I found, once I started using it, that I was loading too much product with too little water and it didn't feel right - it felt heavy and/or dry. It's not the slickest soap but it is a very dense and cushiony soap. I needed more water and less product. I now soak my Omega Pro boar brush and do not shake it out at all, swirl on the puck for <20 seconds (to be honest: 20 swirls would be more than sufficient) and then face lather it.

I just got a bowl of Tabac off the GDF a couple weeks ago, boy, I really like it. I have softened water in my house, but I really like the slickness and thickness of the lather. I face lather it with a WD high mountain badger and get a dense bath of suds. I am by no means an expert on soaps though. It works better for me than several soaps and creams I have used.

As as far as the scent goes, I already owned and liked the aftershave and EDT. I was happy the soap smelled similarly.

It definitely has a clean scent to me.

I've only just started my first puck of Tabac. I too was on the fence over the scent for quite a while. I could have easily have seen myself falling to either side of that fence.

After the first week: I started to warm up to the scent and I really like it now. I'm now considering the aftershave products and ordering a couple more pucks of it. Even my wife, who complained when she first caught a whiff of it that it was vile, now really likes it.

I found, once I started using it, that I was loading too much product with too little water and it didn't feel right - it felt heavy and/or dry. It's not the slickest soap but it is a very dense and cushiony soap. I needed more water and less product. I now soak my Omega Pro boar brush and do not shake it out at all, swirl on the puck for <20 seconds (to be honest: 20 swirls would be more than sufficient) and then face lather it.
What works for me for Tabac (and all my hard soaps) is just that: I load the brush (best badger) heavily, and the lather feels sort of pasty/sticky when I start my face-lathering. I work this into my beard, and then add water 1-2 drops at a time and continue to face-lather, adding water drops until I feel the lather "break" (I can't think of a better term) and it becomes "yogurty" and slick. To me, the consistency (yogurtiness) is secondary to the slickness.

Try this, and I believe you will change your mind about Tabac's slickness.

Tabac is my "go to" soap when I want to be assured of a good performer and a great shave. Right now, it has been de-throned by MWF as my ED soap, but Tabac (and its fragrance) is always right there at the ready.

Ivory? I'm quite sure your mistaken. It's " crusty old lady in the nursing home". Noooooo doubt about it. I've smelled a few. I'm sniffing it once a day hoping I get immune to it so I can get up the nerve to use it. I'm not going to let the smell beat me! I will win!

used Tabac for the first time yesterday (stick face lathering) love the scent and performance! But, I also like Arko's scent and performance.

Try this, and I believe you will change your mind about Tabac's slickness.

I stand behind my statement.

I think you're treating my comments as a slight against Tabac. Perhaps your even own shares in Maurer & Wirtz. It's not meant as a negative to Tabac but simply that it's not the slickest soap I've ever used. Tabac, in my journal, I rated as a 5/5. A title of slick would go to Williams - but I don't consider Williams anywhere near a top soap.

Good point. Don't give up on it yet. Idk about everyone else, but loading for ~15 seconds with a wet boar brush is usually more than enough product for me. A softer brush will probably take longer to load. Then I face lather it and add a lot of water. I just put the faucet on low and put the brush under there for a few seconds, reapply, and repeat twice or until I get the desired consistency. It's a thirsty soap. This is how I use williams and MWF too. Loves water.

Just used tabac for this evenings shave because of this thread. If tabac was the only soap I could use for the rest of my days, I wouldn't shed a tear, first bbs I've had in weeks, this is an exceptional soap!

Tabac and Arko didn&#8217;t work out for me either. Tabac performed well enough for me that I gave it a second chance despite hating the scent.

I'm trying to think up an outdoor use for Arko.

Top Bottom