What's new

Finally Tried TABAC

Another Tabac fan here -- an earlier post described it as their GO TO soap for the next shave, following a disappointing shave. That's how I feel too. Tabac is dependable.

I took a puck of Tabac, and another of Mitchell's Wool Fat, and used a cheese grater to produce about 2 tablespoons of soap flakes from each. I then mixed them together and pressed the resulting blend into a 4 ounce plastic snap top food container. A drop or three of water, along with some careful packing with my fingers, and I've got a wonderful blend of the two best commercial shaving soaps out there. Hasslinger makes some very fine, affordable shaving pucks too -- great candidates for grating and blending! I've heard some folks say that this process results in a soap that is easier to lather too.
I've never found hard soaps difficult to lather, but it seems to be a common problem. After all, there are only two basic ingredients: soap and water. If your lather is too thin, use more product. Lather too thick? -add water. Too difficult? -buy aerosol foam.

You can also pack the soap flakes into one of those plastic twist-up containers -- just don't pack 'em too tight, or the twist-up wants to get stuck.

Another Tabac fan here -- an earlier post described it as their GO TO soap for the next shave, following a disappointing shave. That's how I feel too. Tabac is dependable.

I took a puck of Tabac, and another of Mitchell's Wool Fat, and used a cheese grater to produce about 2 tablespoons of soap flakes from each. I then mixed them together and pressed the resulting blend into a 4 ounce plastic snap top food container. A drop or three of water, along with some careful packing with my fingers, and I've got a wonderful blend of the two best commercial shaving soaps out there. Hasslinger makes some very fine, affordable shaving pucks too -- great candidates for grating and blending! I've heard some folks say that this process results in a soap that is easier to lather too.
I've never found hard soaps difficult to lather, but it seems to be a common problem. After all, there are only two basic ingredients: soap and water. If your lather is too thin, use more product. Lather too thick? -add water. Too difficult? -buy aerosol foam.

I use Tabac 1 or 2 days a week. I straight razor shave and it's pretty much my benchmark soap at the moment. I also tried MWF and was having loading issues. On a whim, I grated it up to put into a bowl, and now it loads much easier. If you held my nose, I'm not sure I could tell them apart performance wise, but for that matter, I think Arko comes pretty darn close. Close enough that I just bought a 12 pack. Unless I find the odor truly repulsive, I going to favor performance (glide and cushion).

Top Bottom