What's new

Filler Paper

Staples sells its "Eco-Friendly" brand of paper, made from bagasse -- the plant fiber waste from processing sugar cane and although thin, it works really well. And cheap.

No bleeding, showthrough, or feathering. Get some and try it, you will be amazed.

The Staples notebooks/pads are definitely a great starting point. I was lucky enough to learn about them when they were on sale for a little over a dollar apiece!

Okay, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Rachel! Although I've had (and used) my fountain pens on-and-off for 15 years, this is the first time I'm really getting into them. I just thought bleed-through and feathering were normal, so the fountain pens have been used mainly for writing in thank-you-notes and cards. Now I'm using Noodler's ink and that has made a difference (much more compelling to me). I'm sure the better paper will also be a significant improvement.

...I downloaded a free graph paper program that lets you customize what type of graphs, lines, or dots you want on your paper....

This is a very cool idea!

For anyone who wanted just dots, similar to Rhodia's dot paper, any word processing program (ie Word) can create this by typing periods set on whatever tab stop distance you choose. And anyone who has access to Illustrator is set with anything they can imagine. This also allows any color, line thickness, or toned down opacity of line (ie, a light grey instead of dark blue or black).

Also, Excel can easily give lines, graphs or dots - with a wide variety of choices.

Sometimes it's the imagination that's the key.

Roger

Last edited:

I have, with a fountain pen too. Granted the fp I used had a fine nib but I didn't have any problem with them.

This is a very cool idea!

For anyone who wanted just dots, similar to Rhodia's dot paper, any word processing program (ie Word) can create this by typing periods set on whatever tab stop distance you choose. And anyone who has access to Illustrator is set with anything they can imagine. This also allows any color, line thickness, or toned down opacity of line (ie, a light grey instead of dark blue or black).

Also, Excel can easily give lines, graphs or dots - with a wide variety of choices.

Sometimes it's the imagination that's the key.

Roger

The program I linked can do all sorts of fun things, dots, lines etc. It can also do just about any graph I think I am ever going to need like polar graphs and a bunch of others.

The Rhodia seems like the better buy between the two. It's 80g paper, though, which converts to about 20lb? Staples and OfficeMax have 20lb paper, 3-hole, reinforced, less than $10/100-pack, though I'm not sure of the quality of the paper. Is there any compelling characteristic of the Rhodia paper over other papers available locally? Is it higher quality, better texture, lend itself better to fountain pen inks? I'm genuinely curious as I've never really considered paper quality before.

There is more to the paper than just the weight. I don't know much about how they make it, but Rhodia has a much smoother finish, almost slick to the touch. The result is that it is not subject to feathering or bleed through, except in extreme cases. The downside is, many inks are slower to dry on it than they would be on rougher paper.

Top Bottom