What's new

Filler Paper

What kind of filler paper do you guys use? I'm hoping to use my fountain pens for my studies (Hebrew and Greek). I need filler paper because the work is going into a three-ring binder, and the quality must be good as I'm documenting my progress with these Biblical languages.

The best I can find locally is Mead (Five Star) with reinforced holes. It describes itself as "heavyweight" but I'm not exactly sure what that means. For filler paper that could mean 16lb which may not hold up to fountain pen ink.

The pens/inks:

Noodler's Bad Blue Heron in a Sheaffer Triumph Imperial (c.1995). This combo lays down a wet line that bleeds through most "cheap" paper, but it writes oh-so-sweet! The line is thick and saturated enough to show off this gorgeous blue ink.

Parker Permanent Black Quink in a Parker Frontier (c.1998). This combo does very well on just about any paper, but it seems scratchy and doesn't always flow well. It's utilitarian. Looking at possibly getting a different ink, maybe Noodler's X-Feather or Bad Black Moccasin. Suggestions for a permanent black?

If the Parker Frontier doesn't improve with a new ink, I may get another pen. I would love a Lamy 2000, but may go for something a little cheaper, like the Lamy Studio. Both seem to have good reputations.

proxy.php

Here is a generic pic of my Sheaffer Triumph Imperial in hunter green.

proxy.php

And here is a pic of Parker's Frontier line. Mine is identical to the pen at the very bottom.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I like the Rhodia Pads, they come in several sizes, I love to write with a FP on them. Not sure if they have holes, but a hole punch is not that much either.

I like the Rhodia Pads, they come in several sizes, I love to write with a FP on them. Not sure if they have holes, but a hole punch is not that much either.

Rhodia #18 pads do indeed come in a 3 hole punched version. I use them in my classes. It's some of the best paper I've ever used.

My solution for school was to buy a ream of 24 lb/90 gsm inkjet paper, it's bright 98 or 110 European. I downloaded a free graph paper program that lets you customize what type of graphs, lines, or dots you want on your paper. You can hole punch the paper before you write on it that way you aren't going to have any gaps in your writing. I don't have any bleed through issues with my pens and I use both sides of the paper for note taking.

As far as buying paper with reinforced holes that is also usable for fountain pens, I don't have any suggestions for you. You might try making your own paper like I do and reinforcing the holes with scotch tape.

Good luck in your search.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Staples sells its "Eco-Friendly" brand of paper, made from bagasse -- the plant fiber waste from processing sugar cane and although thin, it works really well. And cheap.

No bleeding, showthrough, or feathering. Get some and try it, you will be amazed.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Staples sells its "Eco-Friendly" brand of paper, made from bagasse -- the plant fiber waste from processing sugar cane and although thin, it works really well. And cheap.

No bleeding, showthrough, or feathering. Get some and try it, you will be amazed.

I saw this last weekend but passed because I was afraid it would feather. Thanks for the tip.

The staples paper is good.

As far as Ink, Noodler's bulletproof black will write on anything reasonably well. X feather is supposed to be good too, but my understanding is has some hang ups on good paper (slow to dry maybe?)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My solution for school was to buy a ream of 24 lb/90 gsm inkjet paper, it's bright 98 or 110 European. I downloaded a free graph paper program that lets you customize what type of graphs, lines, or dots you want on your paper. You can hole punch the paper before you write on it that way you aren't going to have any gaps in your writing. I don't have any bleed through issues with my pens and I use both sides of the paper for note taking.

As far as buying paper with reinforced holes that is also usable for fountain pens, I don't have any suggestions for you. You might try making your own paper like I do and reinforcing the holes with scotch tape.

Good luck in your search.

I was going to suggest something a bit similar.

Back in the day, when I went to university, the local campus bookstore sold "dissertation paper" for PhD Theses (also used for Masters' and undergraduate dissertations). It was 20 lb stock, with about 25% rag content (ie cotton). That could work very nicely, with a 3-hole punch and (if you feel the need) computer-printer generated lines. Maybe this paper will be a bit slow-drying, but as long as you are not taking notes at a fiendish rate, it should be fine.

Of course, back in the day, the Hebrews and Greeks didn't have lines on their paper ... you might want to try using unlined paper so your ability to write level, well-spaced lines of text unaided can improve.

... oh, as for reinforcing the holes, no need for scotch tape as you can buy reinforcers pre-cut for the purpose. Heck, maybe you can even still buy the old cloth lick-n-stick ones. :blink:

Last edited:
Does it have to be 3-holed binder paper?

Can you just get a few Rhodia pads and use one for each class/topic/etc.?

That Moleskin may be just the ticket, thanks PozzSka! I appreciate all the feedback. Someone mentioned punching holes...I forgot that my father-in-law works in a print shop and can 3-hole-punch a whole ream, so that eliminates that problem. And it's true, I guess I really don't need lines, so even Rhodia would work. Before I do anything, though, I might give that Staples bagasse paper a try, or even the HP laser paper everyone seems to love.

This will not be for note-taking, but rather for translation work. As I progress (hopefully) in the languages I'll be translating phrases, then sentences, then passages. My goal is to keep all of this in one place so I can hand it to my Bishop and examiners to show the work I've done.

As for ink, I've heard X-Feather is slow-drying on good paper but excellent on lower quality paper. I hadn't considered Bulletproof Black, but that's a good option.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Lately Moleskine paper has turned out to be hit or miss, usually miss when it comes to FP use.

Okay, thanks Nemo. I'll give the Staples paper first go, then try the 32lb HP paper. Last resort will be Rhodia due to cost -- that's some expensive stuff!

I don't think Rhodia has 8.5x11, but something similar (whatever the European equivalent is...A4 I think).
Correct... the full notebook is 8.25" x 11.75", but when you tear out the page, it shortens it to maybe 11" tall, so it becomes pretty close to American letter size. http://www.gouletpens.com/Orange_Rhodia_No_18_Lined_with_Margin_3_holes_p/r18601.htm

Clairefontaine makes a 8.5" x 11" (American letter size) wirebound notebook with 3-hole punched microperforated paper. It is a bit more expensive but has a few more sheets in it than the Rhodia: http://www.gouletpens.com/Large_3_Hole_Punched_Clairefontaine_Notebook_p/c8267.htm

The Rhodia seems like the better buy between the two. It's 80g paper, though, which converts to about 20lb? Staples and OfficeMax have 20lb paper, 3-hole, reinforced, less than $10/100-pack, though I'm not sure of the quality of the paper. Is there any compelling characteristic of the Rhodia paper over other papers available locally? Is it higher quality, better texture, lend itself better to fountain pen inks? I'm genuinely curious as I've never really considered paper quality before.

I think 80g is around 21-22lb. I can't speak for the Staples or OfficeMax paper firsthand, but I do know that Rhodia is designed to be fountain pen friendly - you will rarely ever get bleedthrough or feathering. Very consistent. Pleasant texture, smooth but not too slick.

Good paper for fountain pens is one of those things that most people overlook, but once you try good paper, you'll never look back! :) I firmly believe in the trifecta of pen + ink + paper. It can make all the difference.

Top Bottom