What's new

Feels like BBS - Looks like five o'clock shadow

After a shave, my face feels smooth, but it looks like I have five o'clock shadow. I do have light skin and a dark beard, maybe that's why?:confused:

I have a similar issue. I can shave and get my face quite smooth, but I can still easily see where my beard would be if it were growing in.

It's not always light skin and a dark beard. I have a friend of mine that is super tanned because of his work. After a shave he looks like i do at five i nt he afternoon. If you watch carefully for it while watching tv. you will notice quite a few actors with the same thing.

myself, I'm swarthy in color, with a heavy black beard, so unless I shave with my straight razor, I have a "continous" 5 o'clock shadow, even if my face is smooth, which it usually is.

Jeff

Do you remember the episode when Homer is teaching Bart how to shave. He cuts himself like crazy and his shadow pops right back in. Can't stop laughing just thinking about it.

jduffy said:
Do you remember the episode when Homer is teaching Bart how to shave. He cuts himself like crazy and his shadow pops right back in. Can't stop laughing just thinking about it.

Yup.

The one I was thinking about was the one where Bart doesn't want to realize he's growing up.

Homer says, 'Look, you're starting to get your own muzzle."
Bart: Ohhh... I thought that was chocolate milk.
Homer: Yeah... that's how it starts.

The other two Simpsons episodes that pop to mind are when Homer shaves with a straight (great scene! :lol: ) and Homer thinking his shave is too smooth and spraying some muzzle back on with an aerosol.

I have the same problem; in fact, while in SAR school a few years ago, I distinctly remember shaving (my edge gel days, but even THEN I did multiple passes) and having the instructors ask if I had shaved, and when I replied to the affirmative, I was asked if I had used a "rock"....
The only time when I could not tell at all where the hairs used to be was after a trip to a master barber here in San Diego, who used a combination of techniques and tricks, a straight and some magic.... THAT was weird; it was like being 12 again, just for a moment. I couldn't even see where the hairs used to be....the next day I looked like I USUALLY looked right after my shave.
I have tried to match his results with varying levels of success, ever since. Got a decent shave at Truefitt&Hill in Las Vegas, but even they were no match for this guy. Compared to the skill level of a guy who has shaved heads of state, my feeble skills are like those of a child with fingerpaints.....:001_unsur
John P.

JohnP said:
The only time when I could not tell at all where the hairs used to be was after a trip to a master barber here in San Diego, who used a combination of techniques and tricks, a straight and some magic.... THAT was weird; it was like being 12 again, just for a moment. I couldn't even see where the hairs used to be....the next day I looked like I USUALLY looked right after my shave.
John P.

WOW! That sounds like some shave! We need to know this guys "techniques and tricks".

crackstar said:
myself, I'm swarthy in color, with a heavy black beard, so unless I shave with my straight razor, I have a "continous" 5 o'clock shadow, even if my face is smooth, which it usually is.

Jeff

wot he said.

.. except I thought I had a light beard, and it's mostly my chin/moustache area. I use a DE/Gem, but perhaps some Pinaud Clubman talc is called for ;-)

JohnP said:
I have the same problem; in fact, while in SAR school a few years ago, I distinctly remember shaving (my edge gel days, but even THEN I did multiple passes) and having the instructors ask if I had shaved, and when I replied to the affirmative, I was asked if I had used a "rock"....
I have tried to match his results with varying levels of success, ever since. Got a decent shave at Truefitt&Hill in Las Vegas, but even they were no match for this guy. Compared to the skill level of a guy who has shaved heads of state, my feeble skills are like those of a child with fingerpaints.....:001_unsur
John P.
Do you remember the location of the barber shop, I like to give him a visit..
thanks

A great deal of this depends upon how transparent or translucent your skin is. I don't know if most (or any) of you can remember the Great Debates between Dick Nixon and John Kennedy. Poor ol' Dick looked like an unshaved bum while JFK looked dapper. Had Dick's handlers thought about their real job they would have put him in a blue shirt and lightly talc'ed his visage. Who knows? Maybe he would have felt better about himself in later years and we would not have had a Watergate break in? See what looking unshaven can do to your life?:sad: :sad:

guenron said:
A great deal of this depends upon how transparent or translucent your skin is. I don't know if most (or any) of you can remember the Great Debates between Dick Nixon and John Kennedy. Poor ol' Dick looked like an unshaved bum while JFK looked dapper. Had Dick's handlers thought about their real job they would have put him in a blue shirt and lightly talc'ed his visage. Who knows? Maybe he would have felt better about himself in later years and we would not have had a Watergate break in? See what looking unshaven can do to your life?:sad: :sad:

And JFK would still be alive! He's not really dead you know...

I too am afflicted with the muzzle. According to my mother I got it from her dad. I actually have more beard than my own father except for where I would form a goatee. I am completely smooth after shaving and still can see it. Oh well, doesn't bother me any. Might try a little talc to lighten it some.:biggrin1:

sinekkaydi said:
Do you remember the location of the barber shop, I like to give him a visit..
thanks
From the business card:
Gentleman's Classic Haircut & Shaving Parlor
Mr. William, Master Barber
7841 Balboa Avenue, Suite 101
San Diego, CA 92111
"by appointment only"
858-279-7145
Give the guy a call. By far the closest shave I've ever had. I've come close, but this guy is an expert. He blew the poor T&H Vegas barber out of the water as far as closeness and comfort.
John P.

Oh yeah,
he did have one of those face massagers, and was a little pricier than the barber in Coronado I tried, but no rubber ball required........
:lol:
John P.

Top Bottom