What's new

Feather

I bought 10 Feather blades for the plastic box they come in for storing new and used blades when travelling.

I used a Feather blade for 3 shaves, all were terrible, weepers and irritation that I don't get with any other blades.

My technique is fine and preparation was as usual.

Worst blades by a long way

This is like playing a poor quality recording on the audio system and complaining the sound system is crap. Under other circumstances, the system sounds great.

Feathers are ultra sharp and I, too, ended up with a nick or two and weepers with every shave cream out there from TOBS and TRUEFITT AND HILL, both being the great ol' british stuff. What is truly needed is a shaving soap offering protection. WSP FORMULA T BARBERSHOP is the answer. I am 70 years old with the complexion of a 15 years old. The FORMULA T is a blend of tallow and shea butter that provides extra beard softening and a layer of protection against nicks and cuts, much better that that British stuff. Using the FORMULA T gives me a BBS++ shave. I really mean this about the T. It's the bomb truly. And I no longer get nicks, cuts nor weepers. WSP FORMULA T. WSP FORMULA T. WSP FORMULA T.
I bought 10 Feather blades for the plastic box they come in for storing new and used blades when travelling.

I used a Feather blade for 3 shaves, all were terrible, weepers and irritation that I don't get with any other blades.

I have eczema and a super thick, yet soft beard. I would say Feather blades are not very forgiving, but I've had countless excellent shaves with them. Close, yet blood and irritation free. However, I have had very little blood in my roughly one year of exclusively DE shaving.

I get 6 excellent shaves per blade, and I feel like they could go further. I've read extremely varied reports on Feather longevity, from extreme longevity to the exact opposite. They're bad blades for the OP, but they're not bad blades. I believe there are very few actual bad blades, they are the most YMMV thing in DE shaving.

I think feather is overrated and they are more bougie and made popular in online forums and YouTube reviews. I used them when I was in Japan. I didn’t think much of them back in 1995. I would not pay that exorbitant price for razor blades when there’s others that can do better.

B

Barney14

i have used feathers in the past,they were terrible IMO, irritation and cuts , not smooth nor durable, i suggest trying out nacets, theyre the better feathers in my opinion
Totally agree, awful blades, I have used Nacets before and look forward to trying them in the 7OC

B

Barney14

Blades are pretty much always YMMV. There's general patterns but they're very fuzzy.
I should have made it clear, it's just my findings of a Feather blade in a 7OC, I'm sure if I tried them in other razors the results would be better.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have found that the Feather blades that I have used have always been sharper than other blades and in a milder razor such as a Gillette Tech or Merkur 34C/G can give me some really great shaves. I have had some nicks and weepers in the past and I was scared to try them for a long time due to their reputation as blood inducing instruments. As always in this game YMMV.

B

Barney14

This is like playing a poor quality recording on the audio system and complaining the sound system is crap. Under other circumstances, the system sounds great.
Not sure if you mean the 7OC is crap and Feather good or vice versa.

But for me a Feather blade in a 7OC doesn't work.

Not sure if you mean the 7OC is crap and Feather good or vice versa.

But for me a Feather blade in a 7OC doesn't work.

It does seem Feathers are a better match with some razors than others. However, what I meant was if other people can get good (or great) shaves with Feather blades, then the blades can't really be crap. There must be some other explanation why you aren't getting good results with them.

I have to respectfully disagree. They're one the best blades around in fact. The extreme sharpness combined with proper technique, should give you the opposite from what you describe.

Edit: the only reason I don't use Feathers all the time, is because BIC blades exist. They're just as good but lower priced and not packed in lots of environmentally unfriendly plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get 3 good shaves out of one blade.....varies depending on razor how good they are. Not the smoothest either. BUT, if I try a 4th shave.....I get weepers, a lot, and that is something strange in my shaving experience.....

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have tried Feather blades a few times and unless I pay very careful attention to technique, and use very light pressure, then I will get a few weepers. Is a blade that requires such attention to technique a better blade than one that does not? If you do not pay the required attention then does that mean that you have poor technique? Not for me, but I don't really care, I will stick with my Voskhods. I do like Feather Professional AC blades in my Artist Club DX; if I want a shave that requires good technique then I use that.

I stated I bought them for the box but didn't have any preconceived opinion about them, just another blade to try, didn't like them even with good prep and technique.

Couldn't give a toss if you follow or not
By your own admission and posts, you do have a preconceived opinion on them. You have used them in the past with success and failure. You have also sworn them off in the past and then buy/use them again.

This isn't a new blade for you. If they work sometimes and not others, they can't be the worst blade ever.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Feathers are notorious for being ridiculously punitive with technique they don't like. Irritation is one thing, but blood strongly suggests you needed a different technique than the one you used.

Some blades just don't work with some faces. Some blades don't work with some razors. I get great shaves with them and I've never had a weeper with a Feather, but I absolutely dread the day I will no longer be able to make that claim and I have always treated them with excess respect - tinged with a touch of fear. The good news is you hate a blade that's both expensive and has poor longevity. Good one! I count on them to give 2 good shaves, sometimes 3 - but not as good as the first two. I only recommend them for people who have beard hair like wire and nothing else is sharp enough - and many of those shavers only get one shave per blade.

I find it a great blade for the RazoRock Game Changer .068P, but it's two great shaves and then a steep drop-off in quality and an increase in weepers after that.

I like Feathers.

I still remember the first time I used them. It was early in my DE career and it was a bloodbath. 6 months later I tried them again and found their sharpness had become an advantage rather than a hazard. One of the few blades that can get the job done with almost no tugging on even the tough stuff. They do need to be treated with respect though.

Top Bottom