What's new

Feather

Feathers are notorious for being ridiculously punitive with technique they don't like. Irritation is one thing, but blood strongly suggests you needed a different technique than the one you used.

Some blades just don't work with some faces. Some blades don't work with some razors. I get great shaves with them and I've never had a weeper with a Feather, but I absolutely dread the day I will no longer be able to make that claim and I have always treated them with excess respect - tinged with a touch of fear. The good news is you hate a blade that's both expensive and has poor longevity. Good one! I count on them to give 2 good shaves, sometimes 3 - but not as good as the first two. I only recommend them for people who have beard hair like wire and nothing else is sharp enough - and many of those shavers only get one shave per blade.
I think their edge chips w use and that causes weepers (in come skins). might look in the scope?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think their edge chips w use and that causes weepers (in come skins). might look in the scope?
All edges chip with use. I think the study was done at MIT, but I'm not certain. The hair causes microchips in the edges. Of course it's possible that the Feather blades chip easier than most, but I don't have any science on that one.

All edges chip with use. I think the study was done at MIT, but I'm not certain. The hair causes microchips in the edges. Of course it's possible that the Feather blades chip easier than most, but I don't have any science on that one.

You can see from micro photos that the Feather blades have a longer, thinner bevel than most. They are sharper but more fragile because of this.

Not my experience with Feathers. They are very sharp and if I am not careful I can cut myself by simply lowering a heavier razor on my cheek too fast and "hacking" a cut. But that's just sloppiness. Otherwise, I used them in all of my milder / moderate razors with great results. I even shaved with R41 and Feathers for a while. Not a good combination for a daily shaver, as it leaves the skin feeling raw after a few days. But no cuts either.

This may be just one of these "YMMV" things. I can use Feathers just fine but give me a Bolzano and I will bleed in a minute.

I bought 10 Feather blades for the plastic box they come in for storing new and used blades when travelling.

I used a Feather blade for 3 shaves, all were terrible, weepers and irritation that I don't get with any other blades.

My technique is fine and preparation was as usual.

Worst blades by a long way
The Formula T shaving soap greatly relieves the Feather blade of its perceived aggressiveness without removing its sharpness.

The idea that I'm trying to convey is that maybe the blade performs better with a different shaving soap as the title and my first post indicates.

The idea that I'm trying to convey is that maybe the blade performs better with a different shaving soap as the title and my first post indicates.
Does it perform better because it's a different soap or because whoever is lathering it, knows how to lather that soap better/properly?

By this I mean, if you have mastered how to lather a quality soap/cream, it shouldn't matter what brand soap/cream it is. A Feather blade in the same razor, should yield similar shave results with any of the following: PdP, Cella, Arko, MWF, Tabac, Haslinger, etc.

Does it perform better because it's a different soap or because whoever is lathering it, knows how to lather that soap better/properly?

By this I mean, if you have mastered how to lather a quality soap/cream, it shouldn't matter what brand soap/cream it is. A Feather blade in the same razor, should yield similar shave results with any of the following: PdP, Cella, Arko, MWF, Tabac, Haslinger, etc
I haven't changed my lathering routine. It performs better because it's a different soap. I haven't ever been cut using Formula T as opposed to the good British stuff. I've gotten only a very slight weeper or two. There is something in the Formula T the offers extra protection without any (EDIT) degradation on the blades sharpness.

I appreciate members tearing apart my initial statement concerning the Formula T. There's lots to learn.

Last edited:
I haven't changed my lathering routine. It performs better because it's a different soap. I haven't ever been cut using Formula T as opposed to the good British stuff. I've gotten only a very slight weeper or two. There is something in the Formula T the offers extra protection without any degrade on the blades sharpness.

I appreciate members tearing apart my initial statement concerning the Formula T.

I'm glad you found a soap that works for you with Feather blades.

Enjoy the combo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom