What's new

Favorite tallow-based soap

I'm not sure that it is. It is similar in that it is also a relatively soft soap (and I have the duro rather than the morbido). The smell is very different. It seems a little less forgiving if you try to go over an area that's been shaved before and has dried--it gets a little sticky.

As I said, I'm early into it so far and need to experiment a bit. If it proves to be a nice one, I'd be tempted to go for the 1 kg block eventually...

- Chris

In February last year I settled with P.160 Duro obtaining 1kg brick of the soap. Also have Arko and Palmira in my rotation. In my experience it is hard to discern performances between Tabac and P.160. Maybe nonexistent, at least nonexistent to me.
Regarding a price, a brick of P.160 costs just a hair above Williams' MUG per gram when buying 1kg, postage included; however it was last year price. P.160 has a subtle scent of almond which is to me more attractive than a scent of Tabac, so the italian soap won the race.

I am sorry I can't find a soap by Kent, only because it contains lanoline. I am not going to order the soap online since high international postage costs make a total price for the soap so high, it is maybe not worth it since I already enjoy great tallow soaps, and this is not that big disappointment since I can easily get lanoline in Musgo cream, just cross the street to the store.

It seems a little less forgiving if you try to go over an area that's been shaved before and has dried--it gets a little sticky.

- Chris

I am well into my 1 KG brick of P.160 (duro) and my experiences are quit the opposite; it is not just that I can go over the same area again but in between passes, when I rinse my face, there is still a kind of slick film on my skin.

You do have to like sweet almond though and I know of some guys who are sensitive to it; for me it is one of the better protecting soaps out there and easily beating Tabac in that respect. But, YMMV!

R

rum

How different is the P.160 to Cella (the one in the red tin that I see some members have)? I see even the reviews list them together.

How different is the P.160 to Cella (the one in the red tin that I see some members have)? I see even the reviews list them together.

They are both almond scented but the P.160 has a very sweet scent and the Cella is more a traditional soap smell with almond notes. Both are very good; downside on the Cella is, because of the limited/no use of preservatives, that 1 KG might be too much for one man before it (might) turn rancid.

Not soaps, but still a tallow based shaving product: I just wanted to put in a good word for the only tallow-based cream I know of -- The Gentlemen's Quarter (TGQ) and their quite effective and wonderfully formulated tallow shaving creams.

Not nearly as long-lasting as those triple-milled high end tallow shaving soaps, but for a nice change and some great aromas/scents -- you might like to try the Lavender or other TGQ shaving creams.

So check them out.

I forgot to put MWF on the list! Blasphemy! :angry:

MWF is a pain to lather, sure, it doesn't lather as easy as Tabac, but with tallow AND lanolin you got enough fat to lube your face. Not easy, but one great lather.
I couldn't wait for a proper shave when I got the MFW, I really wanted to lather it up. As I usually face lather I started a face lather with cold water/brush/soap/face. It lathered up fine, as easy to lather up as any soap I've used. I couldn't help but do one pass with my ball end tech loaded with a feather blade :blush:
Shaved fine, even with a cold face etc. I wouldn't try that with many other razors or blades though. I'm going to do the real thing tonight with a GEM 1912 (which I'd never use on a cold face) and MWF.:a50:

Last edited:
Not soaps, but still a tallow based shaving product: I just wanted to put in a good word for the only tallow-based cream I know of -- The Gentlemen's Quarter (TGQ) and their quite effective and wonderfully formulated tallow shaving creams.

Not nearly as long-lasting as those triple-milled high end tallow shaving soaps, but for a nice change and some great aromas/scents -- you might like to try the Lavender or other TGQ shaving creams.

So check them out.

If you like her tallow-based shaving creams, checkout the ones from My Time Bath and Body. They are great too.

A

antonis

i am new in de wet shaving and ubfortunetly i try only one tallow soap .Its Palmira and its great!Ifound diffrence between many creams and this soap and nothing compare to this!!
Like someone said before its similar to Arko stick ..i just can say very very good soap..my face love it!!

MWF is one of my two all time favorite soaps.

The fact that it has tallow doesn't mean much to me, it's the moisturizing lanolin I like, along with the slick lather & glide.

My other favorite soap, Floris, no longer has tallow, but the oils in it provide me with as good a glide + post shave care as tallow based MWF.

I have a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat. Currently working my way through Ogallala shave soap - not impressed.

Ogallala is tough, but I still like it... the smell (Bay Rum & Sandalwood for me) is fantastic, and it doesn't dry my face. It doesn't lather well though.

Mitchell's Wool Fat and Cella (two very different tallow-based soaps) are my favorite shaving soaps.

I am also very fond of Valobra shave stick and Arko. :thumbup:

I feel the same way about Tabac. It is good, certainly better than the average glycerin based soap. But is is not the Valhalla of tallow based soaps.

Crucify me ...

...now! :lol:

I am in a pretty small minority, but I don't even think Tabac is that good. I get consistently lousy shaves with it, however I treat it. I'm still pretty new, but out of 5 soaps I've used (2 Mama Bear, Cella, Conk, Tabac) Tabac comes in a distant 5th.

I agree with your assessment of Tabac. It works -- but just... There are so many others that work great, so although its nice to find a shaving soap that is "traditional" and tallow based, it's really nothing remarkable in my opinion.

As for tallow based soaps -- probably falls in the bottom 10%! But of course -- as the custom is in these parts -- YMMV.

Tabac ALWAYS gives me the MOST CONSISTENT SHAVES, VERY Easy to lather and I enjoy the Scent. I also have a NEW Favorite, though he classifies it as a cream, QCS; Cedarwood- Lemongrass and Provance.

Top Bottom