What's new

Favorite Spirits - TOP SHELF ONLY

Bourbon: Pappy Van Winkle
Scotch: JW Blue or Gold, personal preference here, I've just never developed a taste for single malts
Irish: Redbreast 15
Vodka: Ketel One is my favorite "Top Shelf" vodka, but I prefer Russian Standard Platinum and Tito's over it
Rye: Woodford Reserve Master Collection Rye 2 Pack, 1 oz of each whiskey and an ounce of vermouth make the greatest manhattan I've ever had

Pappy is good, but why not invest in a cognac if that's where you're headed :wink:

regardless of labels or price, judging on flavor alone:
Ardbeg is one of the most delish spirits i've ever tasted.
bourbon? Vintage 17, Rare Breed

Just One?

Bourbon!

Booker
Fred Noe
Basil Hayden
Old Charter (not top shelf - but hard to find tasty (and live in KY)

Um! Now I'm feeling a bit parched.

Of course, I have yet to open The Macallan 25 Year Old Single Malt we picked up so i'm guessing there will be at least 3 standouts from my research. Still need to decide whether to taste it or sell it. Happy hunting in your quest for the best.

Open the Macallan. I have a half of a bottle here and it is wonderful. The 18yo would probably be my choice in the future (much, much less expensive and still a fantastic whisky) but to be able to drink and enjoy the 25yo is something special indeed.

I'm a Bombay Sapphire gin fan. I like it in a martini. I've tried other high end gins but always come back to the blue bottle. I bought a bottle of Chambord vodka for my wife as a Valentines Day gift and she loves it.

About 10-12 years ago decided that if i was going to drink (or serve) spirits that only the best would do. SO, like a total idiot, I set out researching and reading every rating article I could find to buy a complete home stock of the "finest" beverages. I do remember F. P. Pacult's Spirit Journal and also Beverage Institute as particularly useful (translation - I tended to agree with their ratings, lol).
Anyway, to make a long story longer, of all the "top-shelf" or at least "top-rated" recommendations only two stick in my aging mind as particularly exceptional, and those are:
A. H. Hirsh 16 year-old Bourbon, and
Belle de Brillet Premier Cru Pear Cognac/Liqueur.

Of course, I have yet to open The Macallan 25 Year Old Single Malt we picked up so i'm guessing there will be at least 3 standouts from my research. Still need to decide whether to taste it or sell it. Happy hunting in your quest for the best.

re: Macallan 25...

life's too short, open and enjoy!

My three cents:

As Ian and others have said, I agree that spending money on something that is supposed to be tasteless is a waste of money. As I posted some time ago, a local liquor store ran a blind vodka tasting. The only requirement was that you had to put in writing what your favorite vodka was. Only one or two folks could pick out their favorite! Actually, Tito came in first place as the smoothest.

Now for my choices:

Bourbon: Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit.
Scotch: Abelour A'bunadh, Glenmorangie 18 YO, Highland Park
Gin: Bombay Sapphire

In the service of genuine Martinis, which contrary to popular belief are not realized through Vodka: Hendricks for occasions, otherwise Citadelle (French), Tanqueray No. 10, or Beefeater. If you would like to try something interesting, employ Tanqueray Rangpur Gin and three to five droplets of Cinzano Bianco for a Gin and Tonic Martini without the tonic. It's a wonderful change of pace, especially during warm weather.

Vodka would seem to serve one glorious purpose at least: the Bloody Mary. Popov works nicely and is not expensive. The quality of anything more costly is likely to go unnoticed in the mix.

In the service of Manhattans: Makers Mark with Cinzano Rosso and Blood Orange Bitters.

Jameson and Bushmills both offer excellent aged whiskeys. As for Vodka, Grey Goose is good but I like Stolichnaya Black Label better.

Single malt scotch: Glenmorangie 18
Blended: JW gold label (love me some black label tho)
Cognac: Martell XO, Martell cordon bleu
Tequila: I dont have a "top shelf" preference for tequila but I find 1800 reposado a very good tequila
Vodka: not my thing, a bottle of svedka sits on the bar for guests though
Rum: My country's (Dominican Replubic) Brugal siglo de oro, amazing stuff.

Marty, please open and enjoy that bottle asap so we can enjoy it through you. :biggrin1:

Rum: My country's (Dominican Replubic) Brugal siglo de oro, amazing stuff.

Marty, please open and enjoy that bottle asap so we can enjoy it through you. :biggrin1:

You're killin' me man. Now I have to find out where to check out this Brugal Siglo de Oro. Hmmm maybe a vacation trip to the source.
Funny story about that Macallan - when we recently were packing to move from FL, I was clearing out a lotta beverages rather than pack them. Had a friend in who was buying a ton of my wines, so i offered him (free) most of our liquor stock. He refused to take the macallan and told me I better look it up online before just giving it away. I almost dropped dead when I saw today's prices $$$, yikes!!

Maybe we'll have to do a metro dc B&B meetup and I can open the little bugger in good company :001_cool:

Spirit: Top bottle on my shelf (what I normally drink)

Bourbon: Pappy's 12yo lot B (Black Maple Hill, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Willett Single Barrel Estate Reserve)
Rye: Templeton (Rittenhouse BIB)
Scotch: Dalwhinnie, Aberlour 16yo, Talisker (Highland Park 12yo)
Rum: Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva [lol. Only bottle I have, very nice sipping rum]
Gin: Hendrick's (Martin Miller, Beefeater, Bombay Sapphire)
Irish: Redbreast 12yo Cask Strength (Redbreast 12yo, Tullamore Dew)
Misc: Suntory Yamazaki 12yo

Last edited:
Redbreast 12-Year Irish Whiskey

I'll try the 15-Year, after I sell my left kidney on ebay.

Try the 12yo Cask Strength; I add a little more water to it than the 12 yo because of the higher proof; it ends up being not much more expensive per drink, and I find it more interesting than the 12yo. Like'em both, though! Can't compare it to the 15yo, as I've never tasted it.

Redbreast 15 is amazing. It's really not that expensive here in Dallas, generally runs around 65ish a bottle or so. It's definitely worth it if you can find it.

You're killin' me man. Now I have to find out where to check out this Brugal Siglo de Oro. Hmmm maybe a vacation trip to the source.

Yes! I recommend an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, you'd love it. The one I went to had like 7 different restaurants (on site) with different cuisines, Italian, seafood, local (or criollo,) American, French etc. all free; all the liquor you can consume is free as well. They had a bar in each of the swimming pools. Spa and massages, zumba activites poolside, tennis courts, nightclubs and just about everything is "free." Afaik you'd only have to pay to play golf and that goes towards the caddy and the clubs rental, you still get your free drinks! So I know firsthand that the "all inclusive" tag is pretty much true unlike some other places I heard of in the caribbean. Theres also sightseeing tours off site but I'm not sure if you'd have to pay extra out of pocket, or not. You can also leave the resort site on your own if you wished. You could buy the bottle of siglo de oro at the duty free for probably half the price. Btw, if you sold that bottle of Macallan it should just about pay for you and the lady's stay there for 4 days, no kidding.

Had a friend in who was buying a ton of my wines, so i offered him (free) most of our liquor stock. He refused to take the macallan and told me I better look it up online before just giving it away.

That's a good friend, lol.
Any single malt scotch aged for 25 years is pretty much going to cost around $300ish a bottle, I really don't understand why the macallan 25 is so expensive (2-3 times as much as the other distilleries flagship offerings) considering their lineup of 12, 16, 18 etc. goes hand in hand with, let's say Glenlivet.

Last edited:
Vodka: Smirnoff (Yes, it wins hands down in my blind tastings. I just never tell guests what my "Secret" vodka is.)
Bourbon: Pappy's or Kirkland
Rye: Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve (If I can ever find it! :cursing:)
Scotch: Lagavulin or Doublewood
Rum: Sailor Jerry's (I'm not much of a Rum drinker)
Gin: Magellan
Irish: Knoppague Castle

Top Bottom