What's new

Favorite gin?

I had to try Hendricks just to see what all the rave was about. Good stuff. Makes a GREAT dry Martini. Tanqueray is real good too. Something about Beefeater though. I love that burn when sipping a Beefeater Martini.

I don't drink much gin, but usually grab Bombay Sapphire. No rhyme or reason for it, I just drank it on rocks once, and liked it. Never looked back. I also shaved with Conks for half a decade and never looked for anything else until I came here. Subscribed, I want to keep seeing suggestions.

the problem i had with hendricks gin was it only tasted good in gin and tonics

i like mixing gin with lemonade and orange juice also and i dont know it just didnt taste right

Lots of good suggestions, I think. I do love that Hendrick's......I think what I'm most interested in searching out are some funky, weird, super-botanical, atypical gins. That Monkey 47 I think is supposed to be of that mould. Anyways, I'll keep taking suggestions if you've got 'em, but thanks to those that've participated.

Does anyone have any experience with Broker's Gin?

Broker's is a very good but fairly typical London Dry Gin containing the usual botanicals. Don't expect anything different or unusual here. I like it personally and usually have a bottle on hand.

proxy.php

Just tried some Monkey 47 over the weekend. It is very good. Lots of good botanicals, but not "flowery" or over-sweet. It's quite tasty neat. Would be good in a Martini. It would be wasted in a G&T or any other mixer cocktail. I wish it wasn't such a tiny bottle though.

Also picked up some Plymouth Gin -- it had been a while, I forgot how good it is. Very, very smooth. It also makes an excellent Martini.

If you haven't looked for a while, they changed their bottle to a rounded shape:
proxy.php

I enjoy a bottle of Hendrick's but here in Beaverton we have a few local distilleries. I used up a bottle of Cricket Club Gin and liked it.

I use Ten for a martini, Rangpur for Gin and Tonic. I have a mini bottle of the Malacca but haven't cracked the seal. The Bloomsbury is one that I haven't heard about, has anyone tried it?

Attachments

• $Tanqueray-Rangpur.jpg
    $Tanqueray-Rangpur.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 104
  • $001_grande.jpg
    $001_grande.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 106
  • $Tanqueray_Bloomsbury_Modified_Online_Gincubator_4.jpg
    $Tanqueray_Bloomsbury_Modified_Online_Gincubator_4.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 104
I use Ten for a martini, Rangpur for Gin and Tonic. I have a mini bottle of the Malacca but haven't cracked the seal. The Bloomsbury is one that I haven't heard about, has anyone tried it?
I had no idea that Tanqueray had so many styles. I've seen the regular flavor and the Rangpur but not the Malacca and Bloomsbury. Good to know!

When I drink gin I usually go for Tanqueray, Gordon's or Beefeater - until I tried a Spanish brand called Gin Xoriguer
Info below:
Gin Mahon (also known as Gin Gin Xoriguer Menorca or) is a variety of gin that is made ​​in Menorca ( Balearic Islands ). It has the seal of Geographical Indication and has a strong taste of juniper
The origin of the drink dates back to the eighteenth century . At that time, the island of Menorca was occupied by Britain under the Treaty of Utrecht , so many soldiers and sailors were stationed there. This made ​​the area had a strong British influence, and rising demand for British products such as gin .
Minorcan gin, made ​​by craftsmen from Mahon , was produced from brandy obtained by fermentation of grain, followed by further distillation and perfuming with berries of juniper and other elements. Later, it was obtained from alcohols of agricultural origin, different cereals. Although in 1802 the British abandoned Menorca, gin continued to languish.
In the twentieth century marks as Xoriguer (Gin Xoriguer), which began to bottle and market the product arose, and increased distribution in the Balearic Islands . In 1997 , he received the geographical name "Gin de Menorca" which gave the Insular Council of Menorca , so this drink has the Geographical Indication . In November 2010, the Order for which the geographical indication "Mahon Gin" is recognized is published.
European legislation currently accepted that spirit "juniper" drinks can be obtained by aromatization with juniper berries, ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin, a brandy or grain distillate. The Mediterranean spirit of the island of Menorca made them opted for wine alcohol instead of from cereals.

The traditional Mahon Gin is produced by distillation of ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin and juniper berries in copper stills, using direct fuel wood fire. Its ingredients are berries of juniper , ethyl alcohol of agricultural oriden and water. Possessing designation of origin, is expressly prohibited add additives, extracts and artificial flavors.
An alcoholic distillates of between 30% and 43% grade. They avoid liquid-based concentrates become the final product by adding a water-alcohol mixture. Thus losses and changes in the aromas and flavors of concentration processes are avoided. The gin is kept in white oak barrels, American type, to absorb some wood flavor until the time of bottling.

• San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Gold Medal - 2015

Only once in a blue moon I get the craving for a G&T, but when I do, it's an itch I've just got to scratch!!

Top Bottom