What's new

Favorite Gin?

No reason not to revive this thread, I missed it last time around. For years I thought I was the only gin drinker around, so I'm glad to see some enthusiasm for it. Where gin is concerned, I favour the Hawkeye Pierce school of mixology.

"Mr. Quoc, a very dry martini. A very dry, arid, barren, desiccated, veritable dustbowl of a martini. I want a martini that could be declared a disaster area. Mix me just such a martini."

And when mixing such a martini, I reach for Quintessential Gin. Probably the smoothest gin I've ever had. Although Blackwoods from Scotland (if I remember correctly) was a beautifully smooth drink as well. Otherwise, since I don't come across either of those very frequently, I opt for either a standard Tanqueray or a Hendricks.

I will have to check out bluecoat if I can find it. I keep Beefeater and Hayman's Old Tom gin stocked at my house. I need to give Hendricks another try. My first bottle didn't do enough for me to justify the price a the time.

I am really liking Bluecoat these days. Hendricks is good. Lots of the new artisan-type gins are at least interesting, and many are excellent.

Otherwise, Tanqueray (just the regular expression, I am not a fan of 10 or Rangpeur (or whatever the latter is)) for G&T and Beefeater for martinis.

Tanq and Bombay Sapphire are both good staples to have on hand for me, with a slight preference to Tanq. If I were picking only one gin for eternity though, it'd be Hendrick's. Tried it as a recommendation from a guy next to me in a bar one night and have been meaning to buy a bottle of my own since!

Pinckney Bend Gin is my current favorite, and its even distilled locally. Support your locals, especially when they are outstanding.

I never thought I'd like anything more than Hendricks, but Pinckney is all I have been getting for a while now. Hendricks is a close second, and for this gin fan still light years better than the nearest competition.

I drink both Beefeater's and Bombay Sapphire. Beefeater's I sip or put in a G&T or Martini, for Sapphire I also sip and put in a Martini. I think Beefeater's is the best value of all alcoholic drinks, quality stuff, high proof and at a good price, just can't go wrong.

Bombay Sapphire for me, but the Plymouth Navy Strength I saw when I was in England was pretty neat (I'm AD Navy) and will grow hair on your wife's chest. Apparently, the whole concept for it was ships of the line would store it next to the gunpowder and, invariably, some would break and get on the powder. The Plymouth Navy Strength Gin was made so that it was the lowest alcohol content that would still ignite if spilled onto the powder.

Josh

Last edited:
I prefer Broker's (94 proof and with the bowler hat) over Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire. I'll drink the other two if I'm in an area where I can't get Broker's at bars/pubs or liquor stores. I just like it when my gin and I both have the same hat. :p I am intrigued by this Plymouth Navy Strength though.

I don't drink a lot of gin these days but I do enjoy a good Martini and a nice gin and tonic in hot weather. My favorites are Tanqueray and Hendricks but I think that I do have some Beefeaters in stock and enjoy it as well.

Regards,

Doug

Maybe it's just me but I only really drink gin in gin and tonics. After the lime and tonic water, it seems like the gin plays second fiddle. I've had Brokers, Beefeater, Tanqueray Rangpur, and several others over the years and don't really notice much of a difference. I'm just not sure it matters a whole lot in a blended drink.

It's kind of the same if say you drank ginger ale and scotch, would you really notice the taste difference between some bottom shelf thing and a nice blend? Probably not.

Tanq No10 is ok. Sapphire in a GT.

Martinis I only mix with vodka these days - gin martinis used to make me morose.

Huge fan of Bluecoat...!

Also like Beefeaters as a great mixer and can't beat the value...wife don't like it tho..

I tend to stick with higher proof gins, the 80's don't hold up well..90+ here works best in my house.

Enjoy also Junipero, especially in a martini, but haven't had it in some time,

Trying Farmers Organic now while on vacation, made a nice smooth G+T last nite

Maybe it's just me but I only really drink gin in gin and tonics. After the lime and tonic water, it seems like the gin plays second fiddle.

Like they say in the shaving threads, the solution is "use more product". G&T with a lemon slice is my drink of choice and Beefeater my gin. I find Beefeater one of the few gins that can hold its own in a G&T.

Top Bottom