What's new

Fan vs. Bulb: Why choose one over the other?

Could someone comment on the benefits of using one over the other?

It seems to me that a fan would work better at shorter lofts because a bulb would get too pointy. Also, it seems the fan contacts the soap and face with more surface area. What advantage does the bulb offer?

Thanks!

I'm not a huge expert in this space but I believe you've nailed some of the attributes of the fan shape (affords more contact surface area).

I believe the bulb shape makes for a stiffer, springier brush. That also is an advantage for loading up the brush off a puck of hard soap.

Aesthetics, both look and feel against your face, are definitely different as well.

One advantage of a bulb shape is that you can have a brush with a larger loft with out it being overly floppy. This can be very positive if you like to bowl lather with creams.

Here is the Rudy pictorial....excellent visual of the differences at different lofts.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143551

I like them both. Recent experiments for me have shown that I prefer the same sort of knot to have the fan set lower than the bulb. So I think that a bulb seems to have a bit extra stiffness from the shorter supporting outer hairs.

I love the way the fan contacts the face evenly, not just the "point" of a bulb. I also love how it wears down a soap evenly, I don't like the wearing down the middle of the puck.

Then again, I have a finest bulb which also performs great.

The replies are interesting, most people have their favorites and their reasons. I have both types in my rotation, I use whatever strikes my fancy at the time, and I get excellent results from either. :thumbup1:

I guess its all a matter of what you like, but I'll go along with the "get both" crowd. Then there won't be any problems. :thumbup1:

I believe the bulb shape makes for a stiffer, springier brush. That also is an advantage for loading up the brush off a puck of hard soap.

Aesthetics, both look and feel against your face, are definitely different as well.

I agree with the statement on Bulbs... I've always found them to have a bit more backbone. Which I like.

I generally go for bulb shaped knots, or at least roughly spherical... Fan shaped knots always make a mess on my face, and lather my ears/nose... The bulb is easier to use for cream and soap, and more precise... Just my experience, though.

If knot size, density, and loft height are identical...
A fan shaped brush will feel larger on the face, and have a bit less backbone.
A bulb shaped brush will feel smaller on the face, and have a bit more backbone.

However, when comparing different brushmakers with different types of hair, it is largely irrelevant.
Hair resiliency, density, and loft height will have a much larger impact on how the brush performs.

Thanks, guys. I'm getting a better understanding of the differences. I was partial to the fan, but I'm starting to think the bulb may work better for me. This is good, since TGN's extra stuffed Finest is only available in the bulb.

I was initially turned off by the smaller contact surface area of the bulb, but the added backbone will probably work better for me since I face lather. I'm thinking of going for a 45mm loft.

I wasn't aware that the shorter hairs around the edges added so much to the backbone of the brush. Good information!

I wasn't aware that the shorter hairs around the edges added so much to the backbone of the brush. Good information!

They don't add a ton of backbone, just a bit.

Personally, I would choose a short loft fan shaped brush over a bulb shaped one, simply for performance and feel.

I started off preferring fan but really love the bulb shape of my SR3122. Feels great on the face and lathers like crazy. :w00t:

I had a bulb shape two-band Simpsons, and I don't believe stiff knots suit the bulb shape. I found it uncomfortable and pointy and not pleasant to use. I can see that type of hair working better with fan shaped knots.

I think bulbs work best with resilient (but not too stiff) three-band Silvertips.

John

I have a Custom Shavemac Finest with a 19mm diameter and 45mm loft, bulb-shaped knot. If any brush should exhibit the "point" effect, it's this brush. It doesn't, though, because when the knot was shaped, the maker apparently used a form that is almost flat across the very top of the bulb/dome.

I have gotten rid of a Simpson CH1 and Commodore, both bulb-shaped, that felt like I was lathering with a small clump of hair about the size of a pea. I didn't like it. Neither of my Custom Shavemacs, both short-loft bulbs, have that problem. In my experience, it comes down to the shape of the brush across the top of the bulb/dome that will determine if you get the "point" effect on a short-loft, bulb-shaped brush.

I only have one fan-shaped brush (Rooney 1/1 Super Silvertip with 44mm loft), but I like both fans and bulbs.

-Andy

That is a really good point Andy. I totally agree. I would state that the TGN knots do suffer a bit from the "pointy bulb" syndrome but the TGN fan (I have the super badger which is softer than the finest and slightly less backbone) is total luxury! It's contact with the face [and soap puck] is very even and the tips are like a cloud massaging lather onto the face.

Top Bottom