What's new

Everyday Shaving Stinger

I got an email this morning from them. It was in the junk folder, so I didn't click any links, but rather went to their website directly in a browser. I probably won't get one because I'm not really interested in razors with two different geometries, but I am glad to hear that the magnets are strong. That was my first concern for those with a more open mind who give this a try.

If anyone was wondering who makes this razor the following email received should tell the story

" Our company is owned by Brian Twilley. Mr. Twilley is a product engineer and master machinist that has developed many products with over 25 years of industry experience. He currently owns and operates a precision machine tool and fabrication company (that we are part of). One of his previous consumer products companies was called Charcoal Goods and was known for producing high quality, but expensive shaving products. Our Stinger Safety Razor is the only consumer product that we manufacture. It's made on the same equipment and by the same machinists as components for our aerospace and medical customers "

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
This razor uses "Neodymium magnets", but the iron content of Neodymium magnets is quite high, about 64% to 68%. Therefore, even with electroplating protection, it is still very easy to rust and is not suitable for long-term use in humid environments.

It is a pity that among the razors with magnets currently on the market, most of them choose Neodymium magnets due to cost considerations. Only a few use the more corrosion-resistant SmCo Magnets, which contain almost no iron.

So the magnet razor, while smart at first glance, is worth a little more struggle before pressing the buy button.

Wow, brain from charcoal goods is making this razor..

Looks like the price already has gone up, from 70 to 95 dollars

This whole Brian situation just reeks of BS to me. I hope people aren’t buying up this razor just because of that theory only to find out soon that it’s not at all true. I haven’t seen any type of confirmation from Brian himself that that’s the case, and given his previous endeavors and how he kept people in the loop about past moves and pauses and reopenings that seems veeeery sketchy to me.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I read the statement that @uptown copied and it sounds really good, and it is quite a claim to make, so it cannot be a flat out promo lie.

But somehow this still does NOT compute for me!

Brian closed down Charcoal Goods, rather unexpectedly after moving and opening up a new shop/location, retirement was often cited, and then... a new business? "Owned" could mean he is leaning back and doing some design and others the work, a switch to a lower price, but more sales market, a bit in Razorock range.

The names Everyday and Stinger also sound like a very obvious hint.

Maybe someone who did business with Brian in the past or was in contact with him can simply ask him about this?

I read the statement that @uptown copied and it sounds really good, and it is quite a claim to make, so it cannot be a flat out promo lie.

Brian closed down Charcoal Goods, rather unexpectedly after moving and opening up a new shop/location, retirement was often cited, and then... a new business? "Owned" could mean he is leaning back and doing some design and others the work, a switch to a lower price, but more sales market, a bit in Razorock range.

Maybe someone who did business with Brian in the past or was in contact with him can simply ask him about this?
Let's not forget according to the response Brian is supposedly a business partner and machinist, so he's not the sole owner!!

@Stikeyoda any chance that you'd be willing to share a screenshot of the tracking info from your shipment?
Sounds like a weird request, I know, I'm just interested to see where these are actually shipping from. The USPS tracking link shows the origin of the shipment (it's under "see all tracking history" on an item that's already been delivered).

@Stikeyoda any chance that you'd be willing to share a screenshot of the tracking info from your shipment?
Sounds like a weird request, I know, I'm just interested to see where these are actually shipping from. The USPS tracking link shows the origin of the shipment (it's under "see all tracking history" on an item that's already been delivered).
No problem. Bend Oregon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_084938_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_084938_Chrome.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 12

I think the honeycomb (hexagons) and bee engravings are a giveaway as well. @uptown email added in either means it's true or whoever they are have lots of money for trademark infringement lawyers.

I don't blame anyone for being skeptible whether this is Brian or not. But I do believe the company is legit. The reason I won't buy this razor is the design. I prefer three piece razors and like each side to be the same. I prefer choice of base plates like Brian offered before. I also don't like the magnet attachment idea. We just have to wait and see what happens.

I don't blame anyone for being skeptible whether this is Brian or not. But I do believe the company is legit. The reason I won't buy this razor is the design. I prefer three piece razors and like each side to be the same. I prefer choice of base plates like Brian offered before. I also don't like the magnet attachment idea. We just have to wait and see what happens.
At this point, all I can say is it is different and I like it. I suspect it may become the travel razor - the one advantage to sides with different geometry. Still hunting the right blade but one or two passes wild, then the last pass and touch-up mild seems to work well. Easier to weld than an adjustable for that capability. Also works well with cold water, low lather shave so might stay by the sink for quick action. It and the Bison has me wondering about my preference for heft in my razors.

New tool arrived this afternoon. Will suspend the Chinese blade research for a couple of days to check it out. First reaction, as Commander Spock would say, Interesting. Very light, 1.4 Oz or 40g. I prefer more heft but it is comfortable in the hand with plenty of affordances across the handle that I don't think grip is going to be an issue. I was a little puzzled by th 2 different sides of the handle then realized you could tell which side of the razor you're using without looking. One side has 0 blade exposure and .66 blade gap. The other side has 0.1524 exposure and 0.762 gap. It is a two piece with the top held on by 🧲. The blade is solid with 4 posts at the corners and the magnets holding solidly in place. I'll post more after the maiden voyage tonight.

How does it compare to a Charcoal razor? The shop it's made in is CG's shop, I messaged the company, the said Brian is their machinist.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I can't help, so okay, it is Brian. But what is this. Take a look at the photos.

That's a basic, low effort machine finish with a rectangular aluminum block as handle.
Compare that to the old shiny Charcoal Goods brass razors and their fancy handles and lovely design! :eek2:
They might have inherited the geometry, but nothing else.

It is as if Michelangelo or Leonardo decided to retire to draw stick figures! :crying:

Sure, some will pay for it because of the name. Add cat pics on the website, mention the low environmental impact, CNC machined in the USA and lifetime warranty. The whole checkbox list of generic modern nothingness.

I can't help, so okay, it is Brian. But what is this. Take a look at the photos.

That's a basic, low effort machine finish with a rectangular aluminum block as handle.
Compare that to the old shiny Charcoal Goods brass razors and their fancy handles and lovely design! :eek2:

It is as if Michelangelo or Leonardo decided to retire to draw stick figures! :crying:

Sure, some will pay for it because of the name. Add cat pics on the website, mention the low environmental impact, CNC machined in the USA and lifetime warranty. The whole checkbox list of generic modern nothingness.
I love wet shaving razors due to their synthesis of utility (they do something), their engineering ( I am a nerd at heart), and their aesthetic (appeal to the soul). Throw in the whole zen experience of shaving and the affordances (razor, blade, brush, bowl, soap...) that enable and enhance it - nirvana in sight. That said, there is the economics - how much of that can be achieved with a $10 razor (AliExpress), a $50 razor (Goodfellas smile), a $100 razor (ES Stinger), a $500 razor (recent Charcoal Goods listings), or a $1000+ razor (Some Wolfmans, Tedalus). Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

I never said this so with that said, I and quite a few others said the exact same thing about Paradigm Razors when they came out with the SE that had the hideous square handle on it for I think was less than $250 yet today they are flipped easily for $600-1500US and rather quickly I might add!! This is no different and I'm sure just by the response overnight we will see a lot more of these in the wild....

Top Bottom