What's new

Even after showering and scrubbing my pits have a sweaty aftersmell

Seriously, how do guys control for something like this? The best I've done is to shave my pits for hair, buts still I get a weird lingering sweaty smell.

I recently switched to one of the crystal deodorants, which has worked very well for me. Zero odor, even after two days.

Arrid XX Dry Regular Solid. Even after 48 hours I'm still dry and odor free and I'm a real heavy sweater normally, especially living in subtropical Louisiana.

You can also try Mitchum. It works very well. If that isnt enough, see your Dr/ Dermatologist. They can write a scrip for Drysol. It works wonders.

You know, as a side thought, residual odor might indicate bacterial or fungal colonization. You could try some diluted bleach sitz baths (we recommend them to people with boils all the time, so they're safe) or maybe some daily hydrogen peroxide applications. Theres also some soap called Defense which is supposed to help promote normal flora while discouraging the growth of other bacteria. Just a thought.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My first impulse was to move this post to Skin, Body and Hair Care - but the answers have been so darn good I'm leaving it here. You members are amazing. You might also want to post in that forum for additional suggestions.

It may also have to do with a South Asian diet...which is high in things like onions ginger garlic.... It is occasional but I do get tired of it and have to apply deodorant/shower daily. Sometimes I forget to

Alum does the job for me. Took a week to get use to, but I've been B.O. free for the little over 2 years I've used it.

It may also have to do with a South Asian diet...which is high in things like onions ginger garlic.... It is occasional but I do get tired of it and have to apply deodorant/shower daily. Sometimes I forget to
You know I thought about this just now and came back to comment on its possible relation to diet, curry or garlic are both big time offenders, only to see that you'd drawn the same idea. You are what you eat you know.

I have very sensitive skin and any deodorant, antiperspirant, or alum; makes break out badly. So I use talcum powder and spritz the pits of my shirt. I've been doing this for about 10 to 15 years.

Years ago after reading a similar thread, I experimented with using my alum block and got the best odor control I've ever experienced. I then started using barber clippers to remove underarm hair, and got even better results.

Underarm odor is a function of bacterial growth. The mixture of moisture, heat and body hair are the perfect formula for not smelling good. Removing underarm hair and bacteria with the use of Alum reduces the environment for b.o.

I have since switched to the easier to grip, Crystal alum stick.

With the hot Dallas summers I keep my armpits trimmed and that alone is a big help. When it's very hot out I'll spray on the alum based natural aftershave then once it dries I apply Gillette Clinical deodorant.

When I lived in Phoenix where it's VERY hot and I also wore a suit in those days, I would cover my torso in a light dusting of Clubman talc with a bit extra in my pits before getting dressed and also wear a light undershirt to absorb sweat. (It's tricky though to avoid talc on the suit!)

Another thing to consider is that many deodorants use a base of fatty alcohols like stearyl alcohol or saponified fatty acids like sodium stearate to help the deodorant "cling" to your armpit a deliver the active ingredients that help prevent "body odor" but when those active ingredients wear off and you begin to sweat then those "inactive" ingredients like the fatty alcohols and saponified fatty acids are still there clinging to the hair and your armpits and the sweat then clings to them delivering a not-so-wonderful-smell of sweat! If you wash with soap then you may get some of the "inactive ingredients" to come off but it would be better to use a face cloth on your armpits and wash until they are "squeaky clean" and all of those ingredients and the scent has been removed! This would be my suggestion!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Another thing to consider is that many deodorants use a base of fatty alcohols like stearyl alcohol or saponified fatty acids like sodium stearate to help the deodorant "cling" to your armpit a deliver the active ingredients that help prevent "body odor" but when those active ingredients wear off and you begin to sweat then those "inactive" ingredients like the fatty alcohols and saponified fatty acids are still there clinging to the hair and your armpits and the sweat then clings to them delivering a not-so-wonderful-smell of sweat! If you wash with soap then you may get some of the "inactive ingredients" to come off but it would be better to use a face cloth on your armpits and wash until they are "squeaky clean" and all of those ingredients and the scent has been removed! This would be my suggestion!
Excellent points.

as mentioned above, try an alum block!

creed santal art of shaving joris alum taylor old bond st sandalwood november 19 2015.jpg

Top Bottom