What's new

Esquire Magazines picks of Grooming Products

I used to subscribe to Esquire in the 1960s, maybe into the early 1970s. It was a great guide for a young man, it covered beer, liquor, manners, dressing for business, women, smoking, college, grooming, how to order wine, how to tip, restaurants, what makes a good shoe, how to get fitted for a suit; and all from a strong masculine voice

I never even pick it up anymore, and will not for sure now; the editorial staff must all be female, their list completely misses the mark for me. Its all too delicate, feminine, metrosexual

Esquire held together until the end of the 80s, and it's been on the way down since then. I think that their extreme focus on beauty products, etc. is because magazines like that are really nothing more than vehicles for pushing the stuff their advertisers make. I don't think that any of their articles or reviews are objective--just commercials disguised as essays.

I haven't looked at Esquire in years. I agree with the above post, when I went off to college in 1967 Esquire was THE guide for all the things listed by kim099. They even used to publish a yearly "back to college" issue covering all those topics in depth. I recall an entire article on how a suit, shirt, shoes should fit, how to shave, etc. It sounds like it became a tool of the metrosexual movement. Fortunately, sites like this provide solid info for young men about these things.

Ever look at the prices with the clothes they suggest? You would have to be an investment banker or a crime family boss to afford them. It's pure Madison Avenue at it's best!

Prior to the mid '70s Esquire was an outstanding magazine. They published works by Tom Wolfe, John Updike, James Baldwin, Saul Bellow, Truman Capote, Hemingway, Fitzgerald. Great writers who wrote great articles for them. When Arnold Gingrich died, it died also. Now it's just Maxium with less photos.

Actually Kerastase make some fantastic hair products and Anthony Logistics make the best facewash I've ever used. "Glycolic Face Wash". Not to sure about the rest of their products though.

Top Bottom