What's new

ERN and TIMOR

I came across your website while trying to find info on these straight or cut throat razors that have come into my posession after the clearance of my Aunts home.
I am really looking to find out anything, and an approx value. Are these things just rubbish, worth keeping or selling.
I know they only bought quality throughout their lives, and so I am in no doubt these will be quality items, but just what that means in terms of razors I do not know.
Let me give you a brief list and discription and you might be able to dismiss them or interest me. If you need photos then I could send them on request.

So, we have 2 ERN Wald-Solingen 786, with what appears to be tortoise shell handle. In original boxs.

2 ERN Wald-Solingen 786, with black handle. These ones have 'THE CROWN & SWORDRAZOR' In gold on the blade. In original box.

Then the last is TIMOR, Blue Steel, 150 5/8. Giesen &Forsthoff. Solingen-Germany. Black handle, this one is also in original box.

These are all in great condition as far as I can see.

Obviously this is a very specialized area and I hope you are able to lend me a little of your knowledge.

Hello and welcome. Congrats on your scores. If you will post pics here, you will get a better response.

Valuations are not allowed as per the rules of the site. If you can post pictures, we can give you a good idea as to the condition of the razors and then you can try and match that to ebay.

Not sure about tablets. I post using a laptop. However, load pics onto your hard drive. When you post in this thread, look above the text box. Click on 4th icon from the right and you will get a dialog box so you can upload your pics.

No add image icons, is there an obvious method I am unable to use from my tablet?

ERN Wald-Solingen. 786.
$20150629_185724.jpg
$20150629_185742.jpg

Both sides of one.

I'll follow up with the others.

TIMOR. BLUE STEEL 150 5/8. GIESEN & FORSTHOFF. Solingen-Germany.
$20150629_192023.jpg
$20150629_192038.jpg
This one has rust as you can see, but the others are spotless.

That's the lot. So, if people can enlighten me any I would very much appreciate it.

OK, anywhere else I might try, I'd rather not join every razor site around trying to find out about these, if I can help it. Recomendation?

Can't tell you the value of these (not only because of rules, but mostly because I'm not that good at valueing razors) but I can tell that they all, except the one with rust, look like they're in excellent shape and they all seem to be of good quality, being solingen razors and all. If that is real tortoise then you have yourself a very nice find. All of these would probably be terrific shavers, and a collector would love those tortoise scales. Look around on the bay and find some similar razors (though it might be a little hard to find razors with tortoise), it'll give a good hint as to the market value of these razors. How old they maight be I don't know very well. I'd say anywhere from the 1910s-20s untill the present day, really. Only the tortoise ones are definitaly done before the mid 70s because of animal protection laws for tortoise shells. I wouldn't guess any of them is over a hundred years old. But maybe someone who knows more about solingen blades can help more!

As to some other site that might help you I can't help, know that there's a site called Straight razor place, but they may also have the same rules about discussing value of a razor. I'd skim through their rules, if they're public, and see if creating an account was worthwhile.

Last edited:
Thanks. Well this is proving rather difficult as I don't know enough specifics to compare on Ebay. I have to presume they are the best quality as they were wealthy/posh. Made a point of shopping regularly at Harrods and elsewhere most only go to look at the prices rather than the goods. The antique furniture that came out of the house went to auction and made more than most of the rest of the families houses, probably combined, lol.<br>So, between a rock and a hard place. The prices on EBAY are all over the place, but I see few in as good a condition as these.&nbsp;<br>So, this seems a bit odd, how do people find info out. I never heard passed any kind of a shop, this is such a specialized area. Infact I was surprised to find so many sites dedicated to razors, you wouldn't think there was enough about them to demand websites wifh forums.<br><br>I wrote to a couple of people who sell reconditioned razors, but no replies.<br><br>Hmph!

On the bright side, I checked out how to identify genuine tortoise shell and these do match up. Colouring runs right through, can see this in the right light. Dull against an unlit background but the blonde stays the same. I could'nt be sure, but..........

There is one the same as the one with the gold enscribing on EBAY, not quite as good condition as this, and without the box for £127.
But then there are some, same make, much much worse condition, no box, bits of rust for £30.

Last edited:
I don't think you should stress yourself out any further...send those to me and I'll dispose of them properly for you. :lol:

Seriously though, if they belonged to a family member I would just keep them. They're in good shape and someone in your family might enjoy using them. As far as the value, you would probably get a decent amount for them if you sold them but they are definitely not "retirement fund" type items. You can put them on e-bay and I'm sure you would get the most amount of money from there than anywhere else.

I suggest you keep them as a nice family heirloom.

Good luck! :thumbup1:

These are in relatively good condition and can be easily made to shave again. They are not particularly high end razors, Timor blades are still produced by G&F for less than $100 retail and ERNs are found in abundance in the used market but both are excellent quality for restoration. Good score!

I haven't seen inlays in tortoise before, and the pins typically are collar-less. Can't really tell from the pics though.

Nice score, in any case.

Top Bottom