What's new

Epic shave den DE showdown!

It would be interesting to see where the Lupo 72 falls on the Karve Plate lottery. Not just equivalent efficiency, but some of these other characteristics that have come up, which provides the best balance for you. Blade feel wise, I bet it matches up with the Karve E, but as far as actual efficiency and aggressiveness, that's an open question. Also, the Karve C vs the Lupo 58 seems like a fair match.

Well, the first shave of the second round is in the books. The Chiseled Face Legacy in titanium, here mated to a Wolfman handle to make it approximately the same length, versus the formidable Pils. Sunday lather is always Ethos Bergamotto, until I run out of it, and I may buy more before that happens.

Anyway, left side with the Legacy, right with the Pils. The razors feel completely different in the hand. The Legacy head mated with a stainless handle is well balanced; if anything, slightly handle heavy; the Pils is famously very head heavy. The head designs are almost completely different.

First pass with the Legacy was very smooth feeling on the face. The Pils has a bit more blade presence, but it also feels very smooth. Reduction was equivalent.

Second pass was interesting. With the Legacy, at times it felt like it was lather-planing and not removing hair ar all; the Pils, on the other hand, was loudly cleaning up, and the angle to maintain was immediately obvious.

Still, after two passes, a careful assessment showed the two sides to be the same. No irritation, no burn.

So, the shave result was the same, but I enjoyed shaving with the Legacy a tiny bit more, mostly due to better balance and a smoother feel on the face during the shave. So I am calling the first shave for the Legacy, but not by much.

Attachments

• 20230819_232552.jpg
    20230819_232552.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
Switched blades, switched sides of the face, lathered up some wickham's with a dollop of Japanese Schick gel (see pic, below), and did the second shave of the Pils versus legacy throwdown tonight on 36-hours' growth.

Starred with the Pils on the left side. Right away it was smooth and felt efficient. To the point that I was thinking 'a DE can't possibly shave better than this!' But then I started the right side with the Legacy and it was just a smidgen smoother, even. After the first pass, reduction was slightly better on the Legacy side.

On XTG, the Pils was easier to keep at the perfect angle, but both razors performed well. I ended up doing a lot of clean up, and also an ATG pass on my cheeks, which I don't normally do.

The final result was essentially equivalent. No irritation anywhere. Amazing shave. These are both fantastic razor. For the life of me I don't know how a razor as excellent as the Pils manages to fly under the radar around here... it is at least the equal and, in many cases, the better of a lot of ballyhooed modern razors. I guess because it has been around so long it is no longer the flavor of the month. IME it is, just as an example, a much better razor than the H&S N076. I actually prefer it to the Wolfman WR-1 0.74.

Having said all that, it lost to the Legacy tonight. As a shaver it is equally capable, but the feel of the Legacy is a bit smoother, which is a feature I really like.

Attachments

• 20230821_184249.jpg
    20230821_184249.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
First shave of the other semi-final is completed. This one, incredibly, pitted the Karve E versus the Karve C. I would not have predicted either of these razors would have won the first round, so this shave-off was a real surprise to me.

Unlike the other shave-offs, this one used only one blade, because I only have one top cap. So literally the only difference was the baseplate. Because of that, I altered the order of the shave a little, to minimize the number of times I had to unscrew the razor during the shave.

I lathered up some Truefitt and Hill West Indian limes. I started with the E plate on the left side of the face. I did the cheecks, then the neck, then the chin and mustache area. After that I switched the baseplate and did the same thing on the right side. On both sides the razors felt smooth and comfy. The E plate went through denser areas more easily, but the C was enough to get the job done.

After the first pass, reduction was slightly better on the E side.

Because the C plate was in place, I left it and di the right side first for the second pass, the switched the baseplate and did the left side. The main place where the plates felt significantly different was going XTG in the moustache area, where the increased blade exposure of the E plate was noticeable.

Rinsing revealed a very similar shave on both sides. Only a little touch up was required. I just did all of it with the E plate at that point.

Bottom line: about a tie. Maybe a slight edge to the E plate for more reduction with equally smooth feel. If there were an adjustable CB, I would use E for the first pass and maybe dial it to C for the second.

I still find it fascinating that I like both the C and the E plates, and about the same, but I don't like the D. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 20230823_210735.jpg
    20230823_210735.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Final shave of the modern safety bar razors is in the books now, shave 2 of the Karve C vs Karve E battle.

Switched to a different blade. Did the order the sam as the last one to minimize the number of times I had to unscrew the razor. This time the C was on the left side and the E on the right. Lather was Stone Cottage Soap Works Bay Lime.

Both passes went smoothly but today the C was a bit better, smoother and more comfortable. Reduction on pass one favored the E, but after two passes there was no difference.

So the E was very slightly pre erred on two days' growth but the C was better on 36 hours' growth. And I think the C won by slightly more today than the E won the last shave, so I am giving the overall win to the C.

I had decided not to shave off the final two to find an ultimate winner because I had no desire to get down to a single modern safety bar razor. So I could just say the winners are the Chiseled Face Legacy and the Karve C, and let it go, which is what I had planned on doing. But now I'm kind of curious about how they would fare side by side, just for fun, but still keeping both.

If you are interested in seeing the head-to-head between the Legacy in titanium and the aluminum Karve C, let me know. Otherwise, I might just move on to the vintage safety bar battle. Let me know what you think.

I would be interested to know the overall top modern razor. And already thinking ahead while I know you already ripped it out, but the number one modem versus vintage would interest me as well!

@kingfisher - have you found that your preferred blades translate equally across your razors - that you don't prefer blade A with razor #1 and blade B with razor #2?

I may have missed that, but it seems as if not accounting for this could dramatically change your results. I'd hate to see you posting a year from now about a razor you regret selling :eek2:

Still, I'm having fun following your adventure. Shave on!

... Thom

@kingfisher - have you found that your preferred blades translate equally across your razors - that you don't prefer blade A with razor #1 and blade B with razor #2?

I may have missed that, but it seems as if not accounting for this could dramatically change your results. I'd hate to see you posting a year from now about a razor you regret selling :eek2:

Still, I'm having fun following your adventure. Shave on!

... Thom
I've just been using whatever blades I have on hand. The only requirement has been that both razors are loaded with the same blade.

I've never really noticed that much difference in terms of blade-razor combos. For about the past decade I have been using Polsilvers almost exclusively. For these shave-offs I have been using Astra stainless and Gillette blacks.

Well, since at least one of you asked, I shaved off the Legacy against the Karve C this morning, with my Sunday lather: Ethos Bergamotto.

I wish I could tell you which one won. I really do. They feel a bit different on the face but they blth feel very smooth. Reduction was similar. No cuts or irritation. Just a quality shave on both sides of the face.

When I was shaving with the Legacy, I thought it was better, but then when I shaved with the Karve I wasn't sure.

I'm going to have to call it a dead heat. If somebody forced me at gunpoint to give one of these to him and keep the other, I'm giving him the Karve, but I think it's mostly for the cool factor rather than that it actually shaves better.

Sorry I couldn't be more definitive.

Attachments

• 20230826_225306.jpg
    20230826_225306.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
Here's a preview of the next battles, vintage safety bar razors. There are only four.

The first battle will be between my rhodium-plated Toggle and the lowly Stahly. The Fatboy will shave off against a post-war Tech. After that i'll decide if I want to pit the winners against each other to see which vintage SB razor reigns supreme.

As before, I have seeded the razors. The Toggle is 1, the Fatboy is 2, the Tech is 3, and the Stahly is 4.

Who knows, maybe there will be some upsets like there were in the modern SB battles.

The vintage showdown has begun! Yesterday evening I loaded up fresh Astra stainless blades, one into my toggle, and one into the lowly Stahly.

I used Blue Devil Shave soap. It is old and the scent is gone; mostly smells like a littlemtallowlfunk, so I beefed up the scent with your drops of a lemon, lavender, and peppermint essential oil blend. The lather of Blue Devil soap is astounding. Honestly. Probably the best shave soap I have ever used. Too bad they closed up shop. 😢

Anyway, on to the shave. I put the Toggle at 8 for the first pass and started on the right with it. It felt a bit blade forward, like a Blackbird, but smooth at the same time. The Stahly, on the other hand, is mild and smooth with very little blade feel.

Oddly, both razors are a bit non-symmetric; one sidemof each of the razors is slightly more aggressive than the other. With the Stahly, on the first pass, the milder side sometimes latherplanes. So I had to rinse mlre frequently and stick with the more aggressive side, especially in the senser areas.

Surprisingly, after the first pass, reduction was actually pretty similar. I fully expected a closer first pass with the Toggle, but I couldn't demonstrate that it had happened.

For the second lass I dialed the Toggle way down, all the way to 3. On this setting, the two razors felt similar, although the Stahly was still somehow smoother.

After two passes reduction was similar. I did some clean-up and was DFS all over. I did get a very small weeper just under the chin from the very start of a stroke with the Toggle.

Ultimately, this shave showed me what I feared this whole experiment would show; namely, that even razors that seem vastly different might, if wielded properly, be practically indistinguishable.

Hard to pick a winner. Style points go to the Toggle, although the Stahly, with it's spring-loaded sa ety bars, is pretty cool, too. The milder side of the Stahly is too mild for certain parts of a first pass, which is kind of annoying. On the other hand, the only weeper came from the vaunted Toggle. I guess it's a tie.

Two pics today. The contenders and the soap container, and a pic of the lather. I swear that I didnt try to make the lather look cool. I just made it, applied it to my face, and then when I put the brush down to start the shave the lather looked like it does in this picture. It's just the magic of the Blue Devil soap formula!

Attachments

• 20230828_183111.jpg
    20230828_183111.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230828_192117.jpg
    20230828_192117.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
The second shave of the Toggle versus the Stahly took place last night. Thankfully, for this shave their was a clear winner.

I will say that I don't think I have ever shaved with a smoother DE head than the Stahly. Something about the combination of the rounded safety bar and the fact that it essentially has shock absorbers for the safety bars makes it incredibly smooth.

That said, it is very mild, and my example, as mentioned earlier is not symmetric in terms of aggression. If I were a daily shaver, using the more aggressive side for the first pass and the milder side for the second pass might make this an ideal daily shaver.

I set the Toggle on five for this shave and left it there for both passes. This was both smooth and efficient, and the shave on the Toggle side was closer and more comfortable.

So the Toggle wins this battle, and the Stahly is eliminated.

This morning was the next two competitors in the vintage safety bar category, pitting the two seed Fatboy against the four seed post-war Tech. Sorry no pics today.

I lathered up some Stone Cottage soap works shaving cream (great lather) and started with the Fatboy on the left side. I set it at 7 because I liked the Toggle at five and the Toggle is more aggressive.

After the first couple of strokes I remembered why I promised myself I would never sell another Fatboy. I haven't been using it much lately, but I always loved it and I remembered why right away.

For the Tech, I paired it with a UFO Titan Fine handle, a fat titanium handle that made the overall weight of the razor similar to that of the Fatboy.

All the people that say the post-war Tech is too mild are living in a world I don't understand. It doesn't have blade feel like a Blackbird, but it shaves with medium aggression while feeling smooth. The head is thin and nimble. It reminded me a lot of a low-gap Wolfman WR-1, to be honest. It probably would feel less like that with its original handle, but with a nice titanium handle upgrade, this baby feels like a luxury item. Yep, a ten dollar Wolfman.

Reduction was similar; maybe slightly better on the Fatboy side.

I left it on five for the second lass and clean-up, too, and it did its job very well. Smooth, comfy, nice audible feedback. The Tech side went well, too.

In the end, it was a DFS shave. There was one tiny area that stung a little bit with the aftershave; surprisingly, it was on the Tech side.

Overall, a little too close to call. I guess a slight nod to the Fatboy, but very slight, and I was reminded how great a razor the Tech really is. It got me almost wondering why I got into buying modern razors at all, given the quality and shaving characteristics of these fine, readily available beauties from long ago. Gillette really did get a lot of this right way back in the day!

Shave two of the Fatboy versus the post-war Tech was this morning, with my usual Sunday morning lather (Ethos Bergamotto).

This time the Tech was on the left side and the Fatboy on the right. I set it to six for this shave.

Both razors did their job, but this time the Tech was just a little bit better. Maybe even more than a bit. Just smooth, comfortable, efficient, and nimble.

I love both of these razors, but I think I'm going to have to declare the upset win for the lowly Tech.

The final battle of the vintage safety bar razors (if I decide to do it) would be the Toggle versus the Tech. My most expensive razor versus my cheapest razor, lol.

I tried for years to find a toggle in the wild but never found one. Eventually, like saw my current toggle on the BST. It was adjusted and plated in rhodium. Truly a thing of beauty and I just could not resist buying it. It was not cheap.

I remember specifically buying this Tech. My wife and I had taken a day to go to the Outer Banks of North Carolina just for fun. We stopped at this little antique store. After looking around, I had seen zero shaving gear. I told my wife we should go. Instead, she went up and asked the owner of the store if the had any antique shaving gear. To my surprise, the woman said, 'oh, yeah, I just got some in but haven't had a chance to put it out or price it yet.'

She went into the back lf the store and came out with a little box with some stuff in it. The only thing that interested me was this gold-plated post-war Tech. There were no prices on anything, so I asked her 'how much for this razor?' I wasn't even sure I wanted it because I already had quite a few Techs. But the when she said 'I dunno... ten bucks?' I decided to get it.

All these years later it is the only one of my Techs that remains in my collection. I sold a Canadian Tech, an American pre-war Tech, another American post-war Tech, a British flat-bottom Tech, and even the vaunted and elusive Hybrid Tech.

There is just something about this svelte little gold-plated razor.

After a brief hiatus, the battles begin again. This time, the open comb razors. Realized that like on you have three of them now, so today like pitted the one I thought I liked best against the one bring ing up the rear. As it turned out, they were a British LC New and a Karve CB OC D plate. I matched them to similar handles and got started, LC New on the left. They were both loaded with fresh Gillette 7 o'clock black blades.

First pass went well. The Karve had considerably more blade feel, but it was still pretty smooth. The Karve comb edges are rounded so lt is very comfortable on the face. The LC New is, to me, like a Tech with a comb. Very easy to usa and never threatening. Reduction on the first pass was slightly better on the Karve side, but that isn't too surprising. The Karve also went through denser areas pretty easily.

XTG pass was great with both razors. I was easily CCS+ after two passes. I did a bit of touch up and applied the aftershave. Very little sting on either side, but maybe a tiny bit more on the Karve side.

Overall, no completely clear winner, but I give the slight edge to the New. If I only shaved once a week or if I wanted to just do a single pass every other day, the Karve might be better, but that's not what I like to do. So bout one goes to the LC New.

Rematch with switched blades and switched sides on Sunday morning.

Second shave of the Karve D OC versus the English LC New was this morning. Switched blades and sides of the face. Used Ethos Bergamotto, as always on a Sunday.

First pass WTG there was a fair bit of blade feel on the Karve side, but reduction was good bilaterally and the first pass was drama-free.

The second pass went smoothly on both sides, and only a bit of touch up was required. After two passes, though, the Karve side was closer to DFS. It felt smoother on the second pass, as well.

No irritation, no cuts, no weepers, no sting with the aftershave.

Surprisingly, I actually preferred the Karve overall on this shave. So the Karve takes the win today.

Sentimentally, the LC New wins, hands down. My wife went up to Pittsburgh to attend her niece's wedding. I couldn't go because of work. When she got back, she showed me this English flat-bottom New that she bought for me in an antique store on the way home. She said she wanted to surprise me with something I would like. I have had it in the rotation ever since, and it is a good shaver.

The Karve, on the other hand, I bought as a set on the BST. The D OC is a razor that I would expect to not like given its parameters, and I would never have tried it if it hadn't come in the set I bought. I actually tried hard to sell the Karve set on the BST but didnt get any takers. Now I see, through these shave-offs, that I really like the Karve razors. I'm glad nobody bought them.

When she got back, she showed me this English flat-bottom New that she bought for me in an antique store on the way home. She said she wanted to surprise me with something I would like. I have had it in the rotation ever since, and it is a good shaver.
Now that is a love story on its own! Wow! Super cool. You treat this lady with respect as long as you live. She is a winner in my book.

Top Bottom