What's new

English Bridle Lipshaw Component.

My first attempt making a strop component for the Lipshaw turned out pretty well. I went with English Bridle this time but hope to make others using different leathers.

View attachment 1752845
80724285-B452-49B2-B798-0C1BAD8FA1FE.jpeg

The clip end with the release button creates the tension. The thing is that your measurements have to be perfect if you’re building stropping components because the placement of the grommets and button release button need to be exact, when I say perfect I mean perfect.

That's what I mean, some way to use the grommet system but to have a way to tension it when things aren't perfect or when the hide stretches out or something. Like some sort of rail/crank thing... an advanced loom strop system integration.

Passing on one of those literally NOS in every way years ago for like $90 is something I still think I was an idiot for doing even if I still have nowhere to put that apparatus, really.

Can you post a side shot? I'm having trouble imagining how it's set up. I have a Lipshaw that's basically a rectangular block of poplar with thick felt glued to it and leather, I'm guessing some kind of old-time barber's shell, glued onto that.

Thanks. That helps me out with regard to the remarks about tensioning. I'm presuming that beneath the leather is a heavy dose of felt. The way to go with paddles as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom