DMT 8k edge

Attachments

• $20160908_113749.jpg
    $20160908_113749.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 201
  • $100microns.jpg
    $100microns.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 204
Not enough time to do many more right now, but I'll throw this one up before the stone goes out on loan. Black Tam O Shanter.

Attachments

• $20160914_004651.jpg
    $20160914_004651.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 176
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 173
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 171
And while I'm at it. White Tam O Shanter. Seems to cut quite a bit more aggressively than the black. Maybe my Black tam O shanter is just a white tam O shanter that needs a good bath. :tongue_sm

Attachments

• $20160914_005652.jpg
    $20160914_005652.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 174
  • $IMG_20160914_245459945.jpg
    $IMG_20160914_245459945.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it. How do you rate the stones in performance? Which one is the smoothest? Which one do you prefer?

Really a question for its own thread... but short answer, it depends a lot on the razor. This particular one is pretty hard, fairly thin, good low angle... it performs well with stones that a 18 or 19 degree half hollow with soft steel would feel dull off of. Like the Ayrstone and yellow lake. Favorite though? I've got a few really exceptional coticule that I expect would be hard to beat with this razor.

Hi slice, I have a fine dmt (red and perforated) that chips the heck out of edges. Is the continueous diamond plate better for razors?

I use both the continuous and interrupted and have never had a problem with chipping. I've actually owned two different Interrupted F plates, and neither caused chipping. In fact I've never owned any sort of hone of any type that chipped a razor beyond what should be expected, (A 90 grit edge will look "chipped" compared to most of the edges we work with). Hones don't chip (excepting maybe random rocks that are unsuited to be hones which may be sold as hones). Razors with bad steel or honers without proper technique chip. In all likelyhood if you're chipping a razor on a 600 DMT, you're using far, far, far too much pressure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo using the DMT 600 interrupted and keeping my ego in check. It is all to easy to blame the tool and not the user.I will work on pressure more. Thanks again!!

Really a question for its own thread... but short answer, it depends a lot on the razor. This particular one is pretty hard, fairly thin, good low angle... it performs well with stones that a 18 or 19 degree half hollow with soft steel would feel dull off of. Like the Ayrstone and yellow lake. Favorite though? I've got a few really exceptional coticule that I expect would be hard to beat with this razor.

I also have a Yellow Lake (black), a Charnley and the Spyderco UF, but always come back to my coticule hones. I've put a lot of time in learning to hone on coticules. In the beginning it was very difficult to get a good edge, but now I'm rewarded with a nice smooth and sharp (for a coti) edge every time.

I really like smaller stones that I can hold in my hand while honing. This is one of the reasons I prefer the smaller vintage coticules that have a BBW backing.

Synthetic edges are always the most beautiful edges under the microscope, but a natural edge in my opinion is the best edge on the face.

I also have a Yellow Lake (black), a Charnley and the Spyderco UF, but always come back to my coticule hones. I've put a lot of time in learning to hone on coticules. In the beginning it was very difficult to get a good edge, but now I'm rewarded with a nice smooth and sharp (for a coti) edge every time.

I really like smaller stones that I can hold in my hand while honing. This is one of the reasons I prefer the smaller vintage coticules that have a BBW backing.

Synthetic edges are always the most beautiful edges under the microscope, but a natural edge in my opinion is the best edge on the face.

True. There's a lot of variables in play when it comes to how something cuts, not even considering how it will feel on the face. The best profile is not always the best edge.

Here's 80microns of DMT 8000 edge. It's ~2500x magnification on my screen. As well as a La Veinette at about the same magnification (~2350x or so). You can guess which shaves better.

Attachments

• $8k.jpg
    $8k.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 98
  • $Coti.jpg
    $Coti.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 98

Very interested to read this as I am very new to all this and have been struggling hence my posts on the Honing forum. I have just acquired this little double-sided Coticule. Early signs are promising and I too noticed that it does not give a "pretty" edge.
$Coti Arrived.jpgView attachment 690527View attachment 690528
C.

True. There's a lot of variables in play when it comes to how something cuts, not even considering how it will feel on the face. The best profile is not always the best edge.

Here's 80microns of DMT 8000 edge. It's ~2500x magnification on my screen. As well as a La Veinette at about the same magnification (~2350x or so). You can guess which shaves better.

My theory about this is that the coticule with the toothy edge perforates the hair and after that it is easy to cut the whole hair. A synthetic edge without the teeth is just pushing against the hair and with force it goes through. This is in my opinion the difference between a smooth and not so smooth edge.

You can compare it with a box that is closed with tape (hair). If you try to open it with your finger (synthetic edge) pushing through the tape, you will have a hard time. But if you punch a hole in the tape with the tip of a key (toothy coti/natural edge) it will be a piece of cake to open the rest with just your finger.

Top Bottom