What's new

Embarrassed to ask.

I agree with Austin's assessment. IMO after-shaves are not very useful for skin conditioning, unless your idea of conditioning involves a lot of alcohol. It stings! There are much better products available today for skin conditioning, and some lines offer scented balms and creams just for this reason. In many cases, AS and cologne smell quite similar. A notable exception is Bowling Green -- the AS has a much smoother, more sophisticated smell that the cologne, and is as long-lasting. I actually prefer the AS.

I agree with Austin's assessment. IMO after-shaves are not very useful for skin conditioning, unless your idea of conditioning involves a lot of alcohol. It stings! ...

It depends on what kind of aftershave you're talking about. I like the SCS aftershaves. There's a lot of variety there. Want the sting? Use the Lime splash. Want skin conditioning but don't want a balm? Try Hydro or Mediterranean Citrus. Want some moisturizing/conditioning but don't want a thick balm? Try one of the aftershave milks.

So many choices in aftershaves these days. It's not all just scented SD alcohol anymore.:thumbup1:

there's no such thing as a dumb question

and i'm glad you posted this, because i've been wondering about the difference myself, but didn't think it worthy of a thread :blushing:

there's no such thing as a dumb question

and i'm glad you posted this, because i've been wondering about the difference myself, but didn't think it worthy of a thread :blushing:

Glad I could help. I got some great information on this thread.

Using witch hazel as an AS (which has almost no scent), then a cologne is also an option I employ regularly.

Though with the recent cold snap in my area a hefty dose of Bay Rum has been the choice.

+1 I use an alum block and witch hazel as AS (sometimes I use Nivea ASB) and then apply a cologne for scent.

Pete

I use an AS splash along with Nivea shave balm mainly because I enjoy the smell on my own face. The cologne is for everyone else.

It is important that you use both the aftershave and the Cologne, as they serve two distinct purposes. Also, they must be the same scent. And also of your deodorant as well. If not, then you will have a a horrible cacophony of smells that do not go together!

It is important that you use both the aftershave and the Cologne, as they serve two distinct purposes. Also, they must be the same scent. And also of your deodorant as well. If not, then you will have a a horrible cacophony of smells that do not go together!

It is also important that you use only gasoline from the same brand of filling station. Otherwise the different additives will ruin your engine!:tongue_sm

Maybe it will help to understand that the two liquids are used somewhat differently.

Aftershave -- mostly alcohol and glycerin with some scent. You use it on your face sometimes with a little cold water after you have finished shaving. Smells good and help close the pores on your face. Some are strong and last, but most evaporate quickly leaving only a little scent after an hour.

Cologne or EDT -- still mostly alcohol but with more fragrance components. Not used on your face. It's normally sprayed or rubbed on your chest, belly, and neck. Gives you an nice smell to others who are physically close to you. Sometimes used to help define your personality. Can last for hours and hours.

Top Bottom