What's new

Eleven Years On

1/1/24

IMG_1137.jpg

Nice close and comfortable shave with the FaTip Grande to start 2024. Fresh Nacet blade, lathered Mudder Focker with the Whipped Dog boar.

Was glad I got off the roads at a reasonable time last night, it was a ****show out there. Celebrated with oysters and former coworkers. Took down the Christmas decorations this afternoon, and I'm about to hit the gym. I need to do my year-end journaling exercise--a handful of years ago I started doing the Year Compass exercise, a helpful and introspective tool.

Be well--

Awesome habit! I do a similar thing with a German method I picked up a couple of years ago. And I need to do my weekly reflections again. Been on the back burner most of this year.

I keep my reflections in a separate binder I bring out once a year. The yearly goalsetting gets transferred to my daily binder (yes I still carry a Filofax).

This is a super booklet! I am going to use this too! Thanks.

And great shave there with fantastic gear!

Enjoy!

Guido

1/9

Snow is spitting outside. Shaves earlier this week were alternating between the MMOC loaded with a nicely worn-in blade, and the Prewar Tech with a GSB.

Second shave on the GSB/tech was a little rougher, I think I tended toward steeper and I recall the shave was rushed. The blade should have been far from worn. Also shaved after I had hit the sauna/gym and confirms that separating shaving from showering helps protect my skin from undue damage. The whiskers might be softer post-shower, but the skin is softer still and needs a gentleness I wasn’t able to apply during that shave.

Great shaves with the MMOC, feeling like the blade is approaching the end of its lifetime but I left it loaded after today’s shave. Trying to pay closer attention to prep—a longer towel soaking to prepare the whiskers.

Today I brushed MWF with the Zenith copper handled boar. Always seems appropriate when colder weather approaches.

IMG_1150.jpeg

Earlier this week I used the Simpson’s cream with my Colonel. A really nice lather, made with just a scant amount of product—clearly high quality.

Debating where to make my next purchase, I need a new block of alum and it would be wise to invest in a stock of GEM blades, as the format is clearly remaining in my rotation for the forseeable future. Might use the opportunity to expand my aftershaves/fragrances, as I really only have about 4 scents.

In personal notes, I have been consistently attending the gym over the last 10 weeks, and I think I’ve finally gained enough fitness to move into barbell excercises. This is a challeniging area for me, I’ve never considered myself capable of actual weightlifting. But I must say, when I did a squat with the bare barbell today, I couldn’t help but think—this is too easy, better load some weights. Then with a couple plates applied, I discovered how much further I need to attend to my technique! Progress will happen naturally with practice, I’m sure.

Unlike shaving, I can’t pick up heavy stuff every single day. But the routine, habit, and self-investment have a lot of paralells. And after leg pressing 240lbs, it makes my 140g Timeless seem practically featherweight by comparison. Maybe it’ll make other things in my life seem lighter, too.

Also, replaced the watch that was a gift from my ex. Now I won’t carry those memories quite so closely on my sleeve (literally). Chose the in-house brand from Island Watch, with a Flieger type A watchface. I was debating the type B style, but ultimately felt it was too busy and not quite elegant enough. I appreciate that the watch is unbranded. The movement is a Seiko automatic, which seems to be keeping time nicely.

IMG_1191.jpeg

Onward, and if the snow is flying in your neck of the woods—I hope you’re keeping warm.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Excellent progress and a stunning watch! Keep it up! The progress. Watch looks like it’ll hold up just fine.

Regarding the PTFE-coated stainless Personna GEM blades, I started making inquiries to AccuTec Blades yesterday about the costs for directly buying their AccuTec PRO Coated or old stock of the coated Personnas (old SKU 62-0165) and am deluded enough to think they’ll reply. And if that doesn’t work, I’m also trying Foshio stainless GEM-shaped blades before too long and will report back.

My apologies
Nothing to be sorry for, Thom. I hope your inquiries are well received by the (presumably) fellow sharp-edged nerds. If you branch out, I'll be interested to hear your experiences with other blades, since there's so few available. I am tempted to place an order from Connaught simply because I could also resupply alum and other goodies... I don't know of any other general shaving retailers that carry the Personna GEM blades, do you? I know www.razorbladeco.com stocks the GEMs, but of course they only offer blades.

1/10

I'm up lateposting again. Tried to reach for something different for today's shave:

IMG_1196.jpg

Haven't grabbed the '55 Red Tip in ages. Loaded with a new GSB, brushed PAA Kiritimati (frankincense and bay rum flavor) with the @Tanuki horsehair.

Good shave. Razor is effective, almost deceptively so. Early passes especially felt very mild, but later in the shave I could feel the gap more obviously. The shave is plenty close, but not as thorough as I prefer--felt like chasing was only begging for trouble. Accomplished the task pretty quickly, at least. One or two pinhead weepers, no razor burn, little alum response.

I must've overextended myself at the gym yesterday. I think doing abductors following barbell squats was overkill. I'm not in any discomfort when resting, but any movements at the knees and hips triggered a degree of soreness I've scarcely felt before. We'll see if another day of rest is called for. Rolled around on my floor for awhile trying to stretch my hip flexors and quads--then groaned as I tried to stand up. Growth is hard, growth is uncomfortable. But it's certainly survivable.

Stocked up on supplies for the house and fueled up the car, anticipating snow this weekend. Out here that implies a citywide shutdown. Hopeful that it starts precipitating early enough on Friday to justify avoiding my commute entirely, and skipping work. Otherwise it'll be a dicy choice between ditching my car downtown if the weather turns sour, or relying on public transit (which can be unreliable in inclement weather). We'll see--in the meantime, stay frosty.

I don't know of any other general shaving retailers that carry the Personna GEM blades, do you?
There are others on the Zone website, but you are right. I have looked around in Europe and all I could find was Connaught so that’s where I ended up buying them from together with injector blades which they seem the sole seller for as well. Or at least at economical rates. Although I had to pay additional taxes and import fees! Grrr.

Guido

The challenges of living in your otherwise highly advanced/civilized country @Guido75 ...I saw you lamenting similar frustrations regarding trying the Blackbird, for the increased costs and being unable to enjoy Blackland's generous return policy. But on the positive, you all have universal healthcare!

The challenges of living in your otherwise highly advanced/civilized country @Guido75 ...I saw you lamenting similar frustrations regarding trying the Blackbird, for the increased costs and being unable to enjoy Blackland's generous return policy. But on the positive, you all have universal healthcare!
It’s all relative indeed! First world problems! And then again perhaps for the better. If I were living in the States there wouldn’t be an end to my buying spree!

1/13

IMG_1205.jpeg

Winter storm arrived today, heavy sustained winds and bitter cold. The snow and ice are the least of our problems—unlike prior storms I’ve seen here in the Northwest, the cold snap arrived first and separately from the precipitation, meaning there’s no melting or refreezing to create slick roads. However, the wind has knocked out power to 200k customers; myself included at around noon. Twelve hours later, and I’m still in the dark.

Shaved with the help of a camping lantern, used the FOCS and a fresh Nacet. Picked my favorite badger brush and used original MWF for a treat. Still having a little hot water was a blessing.

As night fell I discovered the basement is losing heat less quickly than the main level—dirt is a great insulator I guess, and there’s no big windows to lose heat to the wind. Got a fire going and set up my tent downstairs, hoping it can retain more of my body heat instead of losing it to the surrounding room.

And lo, right before I hit the “post” button—the power comes back on. Thank goodness! I hope you and yours are safe and warm—especially my fellow nearby members @flask28 and @Tanuki who have also been weathering this storm.

Hey! That's B&B working for you, the brotherhood even got your power fixed!

I'm doing fine here in NE Portland but my sister's family and mother have lost power in Beaverton. They are together now having fun, huddled around the gas fireplace having smores and abusing the emergency kit I had stashed over there. :)

Stay safe, hope you don't have to go anywhere tomorrow. I heard from @Tanuki and he was out skiing around in the snow I think. lol.

1/14

IMG_1211.jpeg

Starting a fresh blade in the 1912, a couple weepers and a little sensitive at the base of the neck afterword. RR XXX lathered with the Yaqi silvertip. I’ve had closer AND more comfortable, but it’s acceptable. I hadn’t used the 1912 for awhile, maybe we lost touch. Certainly not quite as forgivable as the Featherweight.

Today was a much more proper snow day. After a quick trip to the home center to replenish firewood, spent the day on a leisurely stroll with neighbors, which rolled into a casual evening of dinner, a couple drinks, and conversation. Grateful to return to a warm and lighted home afterword.

Supposed to have some wind overnight, and a bout of freezing rain is expected Tuesday night—but the high temperature Wednesday is forecasted to be 50 (incredibly far away from the mid-teens we’ve been having) so the thaw is not far away. But another couple of days spent at home won’t bother me, especially with the joy of heat and electricity.

Supposed to have some wind overnight, and a bout of freezing rain is expected Tuesday night—but the high temperature Wednesday is forecasted to be 50 (incredibly far away from the mid-teens we’ve been having) so the thaw is not far away. But another couple of days spent at home won’t bother me, especially with the joy of heat and electricity.

Isn't that so strange?! Tomorrow (wednesday) is going to be a weird day, weather-wise.

Isn't that so strange?! Tomorrow (wednesday) is going to be a weird day, weather-wise.

Hope you are hanging in there Peter! I just made it to Safeway without too much trouble in a 4x4 truck. I had to get my mother some incontinence pads - and I had to get out of my house full of way too many people and pets for a bit. I don't think I've spent this much time with my family since I was a child. :)

I'd never been in that section of Safeway before and found these:

1705545196286.png

And now I'm sort of obsessed with them. This guy is SO HAPPY about his Fresh Protection!

Hope you are hanging in there
Thanks for checking in Adam. All is well here at home, the thaw is happening much more slowly than anyone would prefer. My neighbors have been keeping me company over the last couple days, we've been cooking for each other. As the temperature has risen, today they discovered they have a burst pipe--so I'll be hosting them for showers and keeping their water containers filled until they can get a plumber, so far the earliest they can get a plumber is Monday. Very grateful that my plumbing runs through my basement ceiling rather than under subfloor/crawlspace, much easier to monitor and apparently better protected from the cold.
Glad you were safe on the roads. I'm glad your family is able to ride out the storm in the comfort of your home, but I can imagine the relief you enjoyed running an errand today. My little FWD car has stayed parked since Monday--I think I'd have a difficult time getting down my totally ice-covered street, though the major roads don't look too frozen on the traffic cameras.

I took a walk around my block, it took me nearly 20 minutes. Was neat (and a little ominous) to see the ice buildup on the trees, thank goodness we're not having much wind.

IMG_1228.jpg

In the meantime...

1/17

IMG_1220.jpg

Fresh Nacet in the '66 Tech, lathered Arko with a vintage (original knot) brush. Lather was a little overhydrated, dissipated and thin looking especially later in the shave. As such I should've used a slightly more delicate hand. I recalled the '66 responding well to a touch of pressure, but in the final pass I sort of overdid it--a handful of pinhead weepers appeared. Shave was very close and otherwise comfortable.

Gem blade is continuing to wear-in on the milder razors--had a comfortable shave with the Featherweight yesterday. Still haven't made a purchase... Now I'm leaning toward just buying blades and alum separately, I don't need to be tempted by other Connaught goodies--I have a Simpson boar from a group buy with @Tanuki that I still need to collect, and my reknots... also still a work in progress. Someday the time will come to try the Omega Jade.

In the meantime, stay cozy!

Top Bottom