What's new

Edge Comparisons

My question may be a bit subjective, but is the edge that Arkansas stones put on a razor more similar to a coticule or a jnat? Or is it something completely different?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Subjective answer: it's sharper than a coti and smoother than a jnat. I know several jnat guys that finish with arks to smooth the edge out a bit. But, IMO, a well done coti edge can be plenty sharp enough, and a well done jnat edge can be plenty smooth enough.

OK thanks guys. I am wanting to start honing and don't have the funds at this point to get a decent coticule so I was planning on finding a couple of arkansas stones to work with

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
What's your budget? Arakansas stones (especially translucent and black) arent cheap. Do you have any stones at the moment?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
What's your budget? Arakansas stones (especially translucent and black) arent cheap. Do you have any stones at the moment?
Dan's generally has sales on; that's where I picked mine up from. The Ultra-Fine are coded as BAB but listed under the Extra-Fine section on the special page. "Arks - so simple, rockviper can use them"

What I have right now is a 1.5 by 4 inch soft a 1 by 3 inch hard and a broken piece of hard black that is about 2 by 2 inches . Not really something I can do much on .

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My only experience with an Arkie is as a finisher, but I am thinking you would want something at least 5x2, preferably longer.

http://www.naturalwhetstone.com/productssharpening2.htm

About half way down the page there is a three stone set 6x2x.5. It says soft medium and hard. But the description says the hard is the black that does surgical edges. What are thoughts on this one?

Not sure that the black stone there will deliver the goods, relative to the "black translucent" stone they also like to sell.

This med/soft-black hard Arkansas combination should get you there, used with oil, patience, and perseverence: http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/SoftHard-Black-Arkansas-Combination-Stone-P284.aspx. To undercut this, a medium India is shockingly aggressive at first, but then mellows with continued use, patience, and perseverance, again with oil.

My question may be a bit subjective, but is the edge that Arkansas stones put on a razor more similar to a coticule or a jnat? Or is it something completely different?

With oil-stones, you're dealing with another ball of wax. For example, I recently shaved off a Dan's med/soft Ark > Dan's "true hard" Ark (old school hard Ark or translucent), followed by a Sharpening Supplies black hard Arkansas (possibly rebranded Dan's). Some folks would say, "Why move from a translucent to the black stone when they are equivalent?" But there is a difference. Following this, it's probably best just to move from the soft/medium to the black hard, as the currently labelled "hard" stone is a soft stone all the same. The saw blade tells the tale: is it cut with water, or is it cut with oil? According to the folks at Dan's, their med/soft Arks and currently labelled "hard" Arks are sawn with water as a lubricant, whereas their "true hard," "hard translucent," and "hard black" Arks are sawn with oil. And that is what I go by as a standard or dividing line at present.

In any case, off the progression as stated above, the HHT sucked, but the shave was great. Almost as smooth as a coticule; but sharper, without being harsh. The soft/medium-black hard Ark combo that I linked above is what I would start out with in doing it all over again...

Last edited:
http://www.naturalwhetstone.com/productssharpening2.htm

About half way down the page there is a three stone set 6x2x.5. It says soft medium and hard. But the description says the hard is the black that does surgical edges. What are thoughts on this one?
I have this set,I bought mine from Natural Whetstones back when they where 6x2x1 , the black in this set comes in at the same range of Specific Gravity as a translucent by the way.translucents and True Hards all start at 2.5 SG . The only difference between a True Hard and a Translucent is the color scheme and or the translucency/beauty .

Arkansas stones are generally graded as follows.
Washita 2.1 SG or less.
Softs 2.3 or less.
Hards 2.5 or less.
True Hards 2.5 +
Surgical Blacks 2.5+
Translucents 2.5 ++
Obviously this varies a bit by
each unique Mine and companies grading tolerances .

Hards versus True Hards has been a point of confusion for many honers over the years. $uploadfromtaptalk1425169577716.jpg

starting at 3:00 is a soft,at 12:00 is a washita ,at 3:00 is a standard hard,at 6:00 is a Surgical Black.in the middle is a caramel translucent .cheers CAM

Top Bottom