What's new

EDC Flashlight

I'm asking this question here because I know that a lot of guys who CCW also carry a flashlight. A few years ago I bought my first "real" flashlight. It is a 300 lumen, aluminum body with a tail switch. I discovered that I like having a real flashlight but found some things that I don't like. This light uses 2 CR123 batteries (which go dead at the worse times). I'm looking to purchase another light but the field is crowded. I have looked at both Olight and Nitecore. I keep seeing lights with a LOT of lumens (and my ego keeps telling me that the more lumens the better), but the truth is that I rarely use the light I have at full power (it's just too bright sometimes). I'm thinking that I would like something rechargeable that can be kept at the ready (one in my car). I'm seeing some lights that max out at 1000 lumen, but the next step down is 200 (nothing in between). I've also grown fond of tail switches. Now for the kicker: I would like something under $70!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Look at Fenix “AA” flashlights or Olight Batons. I have several EDC flashlights and they do have several different settings.
693FFB41-9B7D-40D1-B284-DFCA95866752.png

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have a couple that I carry all the time. The smaller is a Hatori 150 Lumen that's always in my pocket. It uses a single AAA battery. I also have a fatter one that is supposed to be 300 lumens.

I have carried a zerbalight sc64w hi for about a year and it's insanely useful, bright and dependable. Olight and Fenix are good as well.

My EDC light is an Olight M1T Raider and I love it. I use the Olight 16340 cr123 replacement, have 3 in rotation.
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

If you want brighter than bright the FW3A from Neil's Gadgets is also a great choice, nearly as small as the Raider but uses an 18650 rechargeable. I have 2 of those but they're almost too nice to carry. GREAT battery life.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I played the lithium battery game for years, starting in the '80 with a small Surefire that I could carry on my belt. Picked up a few others in the last few years, but I got sick of it working fine and then the next time I tried to use it, it was dead...with no warning. Not to mention trying to find lithium batteries in a small town.

Before I sold my other house in N.E. Okla. I picked up an alkaline battery Mag-Lite at the local Wallyworld for 20 bucks there. It is way brighter than I thought it would be, and brighter than the Surefire from the '80s. You can find batteries for it anywhere.

Granted, it's larger than the lithium ones but I'll trade that for dependability and the availability to feed it. It does have the twist the head to turn it on, but that's not a problem to do even one handed.

Thank you guys for the recommendation. Now for another question: can someone explain lumens to me? How big a deal is lumens?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Depends on several factors. How far do you want to see, how wide an area do you want to cover, how long will you plan on using the light. Today there are lots of choices out there and all the choices are relatively inexpensive and far better than any of the lights from a decade ago.

I don't need one very often, but I do use one when working on things to put light into tight spaces. I don't need to see up the street, but (being me) like to have the capability to do so. USB rechargeable is a real plus for me.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't need one very often, but I do use one when working on things to put light into tight spaces. I don't need to see up the street, but (being me) like to have the capability to do so. USB rechargeable is a real plus for me.

Not something for tight places, but it does have some folding "feet" on the top so you can turn it upside down and it will stand on its own. That bright little sucker will light up the trees across the road over 150 yards away, and also light up the other side of the pond about the same distance. Don't know on the durability as I don't carry it in a boat or a car, it just lives inside, but it's one of the best things I got for about $40 a few years ago. It also charges with USB.

Just a thought for a work light or a rural light. I haven't had a bit of problem with it.

I've also got an Olight S1R-II. It's smaller and brighter than the Raider but I didn't like the side switch as much as I thought I would. It comes standard with a magnetic USB charger that sticks to the bottom.

Both these little Olights have a double direction clip that lets you clip on your pocket if you prefer for carry instead of just rolling around loose in pocket like mine or to the brim of a ball cap for use as a headlight.

Both will also potentially set your pocket on fire if you screw up and leave it on.

I've had a Fenix LD-01 1xAAA light on my person FAITHFULLY since about 2009 or so. It's about the size of lip balm (burts bees for me), so it takes up almost no space!

I have only changed the battery every 8-14 months is all. 3 modes, usually only use med and high... low is too dim.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
On duty in uniform I carry a Streamlight LED HL. It is capable of 800 lumens.

On duty in a suit or plain clothes, I carry a Surefire Tactician which is capable of 800 lumens also.

The last couple of years I have been carrying the small Fenix E12 when off duty in my left front pocket. It’s LED only gives me about 100 lumens, but I haven’t needed more then 100 with it so far and it lasts forever on a single A battery and is very tough.

It has been thru the wash at least a couple of times now when I have forgotten it in my pocket and thrown my pants in the hamper.

So far, so good. :)

I needed a light for tight spaces and after trying many different lights the Streamlight Stylus Pro is what I went with.
They also offer one that is USB rechargeable.
This is it after three years or so in a machine/welding fab shop.
The second pic shows where it took a piece of weld spatter to the lens.

streamlight1.JPGstreamlight2.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+3 on the Fenix lights.

Models are always changing, but an AA light uses the most common battery ... Yes, an 18650 is best in use, but you can't buy a new one in the field very easily.

Yes, I have a AAA Fenix on my keychain - and its been helpful many times - but I hate AAA batteries in general. It's all about chemistry and bigger is better - AAA just has so little capacity. Why 18650 rules. AA is the tradeoff, IMHO.

AA

martym

Even more importantly I believe is whether you need a spotlight type focus or a flood light type.
That is very important for what you will be needing the light.
I prefer flood for work and spot for the ranch while tracking but flood for skinning.
The Olight S2 Baton is rechargeable now and has close to 1000 lumen. I know that it comes with a moonlight mode and a strobe. It is my duty carry light and my ranch light.
I don’t have the specs with me but I believe that it has a turbo mode which permits it to go near 1000 lumen and it steps down to near 500 lumen to run. It lights up completely a car interior and everyone in it and also if checking engine compartment it’s like daytime. The moonlight mode is somewhere near 1/2 lumen and is good for not losing night vision. Great for a night light on night stand.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Been carrying a Thrunite T-1 as of late. Uses a stubby 18350 rechargeable for a compact form factor of approximately 2-3/4" long x 3/4" in diameter. By no means a service light, it is a handy pocket piece that throws a lot more light for a lot longer than keychain lights.

Dimming is continuously variable, and the flashlight itself recharges from any USB cable without having to remove the battery. I used to pack a SureFire L4 (c. 2004), and while it still works fine, the T-1 is far more convenient for my purposes and less apt to be left behind.

martym

After further thought
Fenix LD12
Take a look at the specs for it
It may tick off all of your boxes
Maybe just make it a habit to replace the battery every month.
It’s a “AA”

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Fenix E 12 daily in my pocket, no matter how I'm dressed. Goes almost forever on a single AA. Since I don't wear a "Bat Belt" these days, my other hi-tech flashlights see little use, at least for carry on my person. They are either carried in a bag or in my truck.
I believe that Lumens is a measure of "intensity" but not "volume" of light. In other words, a small light with a rating of 100 lumens, like the E 12, will not seem as bright as another 100 lumen light with a larger reflector size. But the E12 is enough light to go check on my chickens at night. On low it will illuminate my path, on high it will light up my surroundings for 75 to 100 feet ahead of me. Good enough for shooting rats or other vermin at relatively close range, but a blinding tactical light it isn't. But it does what I need it to do 90% of the time and is always with me.

Top Bottom