What's new

Easy Portable Stamp Holder

For those of you who write letters, or are thinking about it:

I am building a kit or two that I can throw into a bag when I will be out and about and have some time to write a letter. My normal letter-writing place is a nearby coffee shop, but I also write letters at work when I need to take a break from the computer.

One problem I kept running into was storing stamps. Having the postage available wasn't so much of an issue as how to carry it. While you can buy stamps in a roll, USPS loves sheets. The post office typically doesn't sell them in the books like they used to; they sell them in sheets of 8, 10, 12, 16, or 20. This isn't terrible, but I was carrying several different sheets when I also needed them at home. I didn't want or need to carry a ton of extra postage with me that may not even fit my kits, or get lost within them when I have multiple kits ("where did I put the international stamps...").

That solution arrived on Saturday night when I was searching for "postage stamp holder" on eBay and realized I own something that could work.

$image.jpg

A dear friend of mine gave me a business card holder a few years ago from the Frank Lloyd Wright collection. It's about 93x60mm (3-5/8 x 2-1/4") and about 6mm (1/4") thick. I wasn't using it, and the back of the USPS stamps are perforated so I can tear a couple off and store them in the case. It solves the problem of storing the stamps I need without storing a bunch of sheets of stamps.

I'll give this a try and see if it does the job.

That is nice.

I have a leather writing case from my Grandfather which holds a pad, envelopes, pen and a few other small items. I generally keep stamps in a small ziplock bag in one of the pockets.

I have a similar business card holder that I was using to carry scraps of paper, cut up to business card size from scrap paper, for jotting notes on.

Another solution might be a small Altoids tin.

Regular-sized Altoids tin would definitely work; they're easy to find but not quite as thin. Smaller tins could work as well, but in the US the global "forever" stamps are effectively a large square. I could measure them and see what size container you would need.

U.S. Global "forever" stamps at the moment are a circle enclosed by a square that is 40x40mm. The other stamps I have are not larger than 40mm in length or width.

A 2x2" container will work for US stamps. You might be able to use a container that is slightly smaller but that doesn't give you a lot of margin unless you are using shorter stamps.

Regular-sized Altoids tin would definitely work...

That was my first thought when I noticed this thread today. :thumbup1:I've got quite a few empty Altoids tins, every now and then I find something else that's convenient to store that way. A million uses.

Top Bottom