What's new

Early impressions of Abbate Y La Mantia 'Don Jose'

I recently sold a razor that hadn't been getting much love. Naturally, I had to invest part of the proceeds into more shave soap.

You know that soap you've had your eye on for some time? Me too. I had been real curious about Abbate Y La Mantia 'Don Jose'. Free money was burning up my wallet, so I pulled the trigger.

After all of two shaves, I'm here to report early impressions and observations.

full

The Don Jose (DJ) came very nicely packaged. It shipped in a box wrapped with twine affixed with wax seal. Very handsome actually. The soap comes in a screw-top metal can. The metal is soft, and would ding easily.

The soap is a very soft croap, even a bit softer than Declaration's bison tallow base soaps. It is almost a cream, and could easily be treated as one.

The lather is pure pleasure. For the sake of context, here's my recent soap rotation:
  • Nuavia Verde
  • C&Z #88
  • B&M Fougere Gothique
  • Declaration TSM Fougere
  • Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale
These are very solid soaps, I enjoy them all. They set the baseline on my expectations for Don Jose. Per my early shaves, DJ is rediculously easy to lather. The lather is slick as snail snot, and provides a great post shave feel. Zero complaints.

The scent you say? Just what it says on the tin: banana and coconut, with methol. For me this combination does not evoke edible fruit, but rather, suntan lotion. I say this with the greatest possible affection. I grew up in Florida, and spent my childhood on the beaches. Suntan lotion is wondrous scent, laden with fragments of remembered pleasures from many fine days. DJ takes that scent, refines it, and gives it depth. The scent does not linger for hours, though I wish it did. The menthol cools but does not freeze. It refreshes. The menthol is felt, but it does not assault the nose, nor irritate the eyes. Spot on.

My bottom line criterion for shaving soaps: if I ran out tomorrow, would I re-order? I have about 25 soaps in house, not counting samples. As of last week, only Fougere Gothique passed the immediate reorder test (it is, sadly, not in production).

I think with my next order of Don Jose I'll pick up the aftershave too.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Abbate Y La Mantia is a great Italian brand indeed. I'd say some of the finest soaps manufactured by TFS.

Just had my first shave with AYLM Isacco (Black Fig and Green Apples). I’m not a big scent guy, but this one was very, very nice. Reminded me of Ariana & Evans Summer Fig. Performance was top notch. Ultra slippery and protective. Though not a high priority for me, post shave face feel was nice- soft and moisturized. Hard to say for sure after one use, but this sure seems like an elite soap.

Top Bottom