What's new

Duke 2 vs Chubby 1 - Face lathering title bout

For the Face Lathering Championship of the Shave den

In the far corner is the challenger: Chubby 1. Weighing in with a knot size of 23mm, loft of 47mm, and overall height of 88mm. Chubby 1 is a compact heavy weight contender for the title and the favorite in this title bout of face lathering champion

In the near corner is the defending champion: Duke 2. Weighing in with a knot size of 21mm, loft of 46mm and overall height of 87mm. The defending champion Duke 2 has so far been undefeated, has the home town advantage, and has the the local fans on its side.

This title bout will be held in the small lathering bowl so that neither contender has an unfair advantage over the other one. Both contenders will be lathering La Toja cream. Both will will go 4 rounds each (back to back) with the Gillette New Short Comb using a Feather blade as the clean up machine. They will go one after the other in a blind test once each has built up a good lather.

Ding ding ding... To the lathering bowl. Both contenders easily whip up mountains of yoghurt consistency lather with little effort. Both hold copious amounts of lather in their knots. It is a dead heat for the preliminaries. Neither can show a distinct advantage over the other in ease of lathering. This is going to be a fight to the finish and it looks like it will go the full 4 rounds as both contenders are in excellent fighting condition.

Ding Ding Ding Round 1:

The first brush (contender 1) is picked up and placed on the face. It is firm, stiff, and fully in control over the application of lather. Application is thick and even across the face. The second brush (contender 2) picked up is firm, a little softer but able to lay down the lather equally as thick and evenly. I have never seen such an even match before. This is going to be one heck of a knock down drag out fight. Out comes the New short comb for the WTG pass and makes short work of the lather and whiskers. A quick rinse and on to...

Ding Ding Ding Round 2:

The second brush (contender 2) now goes to the face first. It is still firm, softer, and releases its lather effortlessly. Full even application of lather across the entire face, almost identical to the first round. The first brush (contender 1) steps up and again feels stiffer then the other. Lather release on the second round is as good as on the first round. This is going to be a hard fight to call. Both contenders are evenly matched. There is no obvious winner and both show strengths in all aspects of lathering. The New short comb comes out for the first XTG pass and cleans up the lather and whiskers so we are off to.....

Ding Ding Ding Round 3:

Brushes are again reversed and the first brush (contender 1) steps up to the face and is still stiff and full of lather. It makes easy work of applying a thick coating of creamy lather all around with lots of lather left in it for the final round. The second brush (contender 2) moves to the face and the differences are starting to become apparent as this brush is softer with less stitch then the other brush. Lather galore and still more left in the knot. Neither competitor is showing any signs of tiring. Both are able to lay down thick even layers of lather effortlessly. Once again the New short comb makes quick work on the second XTG pass removing the lather and more whiskers. On to.....

Ding Ding Ding Round 4 The final round of this championship bout:

Back to the second brush (contender 2) again for the final round and the softness is starting to show. Copious amounts of lather are still being released but the comfort of this brush is beginning to win the judges favor. Up steps the first brush (contender 1) again for its final round with an effortless release of thick lather which coats the face. The stitch of this brush is starting to shine and once again the judges are swaying back to its favor. Out comes the New short comb for the final ATG clean up and...... its over....

Its over..... Both contenders have gone the distance.. There is no KO. There is no TKO... It is all going to boil down to the judges scoring

Judges scoring:

Contender 1: Firmer, more stitch, excellent lather retention and release: Score 30 points

Contender 2: Softer, more comfortable, excellent lather retention and release: Score 30 points

Unbelievable.... IT IS A DRAW. No clear victor. Both contenders fought a perfect match. Both contenders are WINNERS!!!!!!!

Looking at the brush handles after the contest:

Contender 1 (Chubby 1)

Contender 2 (Duke 2)

A rematch is scheduled for tomorrow: Same shave den. Same lathering bowl. But with the even match up of these two heavy weight contenders it is going to be tough to get a definitive victor to give the heavy weight face lathering championship belt to.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
What a lovely thread, mate! And yes, I totally agree. Both the Chubby 1 and Duke 2 are OUTSTANDING brushes!

Hmmm.. this wasn't a clean fight.. that CH1 is a dead ringer for a 2 Band!.. I mean, it doesn't even come close to resembling a 3 band Best, IN THE LEAST.. great title bout non the less.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Turtle, great match up, but why does one of them have to leave your shave den? They both have something to offer.
proxy.php

Great write up Mike. I have and love both brushes. Both are amazing and I wouldn't part with either. Gun to my head. Duke 2 edges out my CH1 by a nose.

Great post Mike- thanks for your efforts. I would be hard-pressed to separate my Chubby1 from my Duke2 for face-lathering but my Chubby1 is 3-Band Super. In your situation with a 2-Band Chubby, my choice would be pretty clear.

Used the Chubby 1 late last night as I got home late and tired from a long trip. Was too tired to do another head to head match up but I DID enjoy face lathering Arko with the Chubby. It's a mighty fine brush in my opinion.

Not sure if I will match them up head to head again. I think I will just enjoy using both of them as they are so similar yet so different. Put that analogy in your pipe and smoke it...

proxy.php

Great write-up! Somewhat enabling, I might add.

I am curious about that CH1 "Best." Where did you get it? Sure looks like Simpsons 2-band Super, almost Manchurian-ish.

Went back to using my Vision 2000 today after letting it sit for TOO LONG. Fantastic razor... ANYWAY... Today was the Duke 2 turn again. This time face lathering Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap.

Both of these brushes are fantastic face lathering machines. Anyone looking for the ultimate face lathering brush could close there eyes and grab either of these and come up with the best brush possible face lathering brush.

proxy.php

Is the Cubby's firmness attributed more the a density/knot diameter factor or it's bulb shape vs. the Duke's fan?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Used the Chubby 1 late last night as I got home late and tired from a long trip. Was too tired to do another head to head match up but I DID enjoy face lathering Arko with the Chubby. It's a mighty fine brush in my opinion.

Not sure if I will match them up head to head again. I think I will just enjoy using both of them as they are so similar yet so different. Put that analogy in your pipe and smoke it...

proxy.php

Dude, you are using your Arko upside down!!

:out:

Top Bottom