What's new

dubl duck goldwash

I picked up this dubl duck for a song and a dance. Honestly I can’t see where it was ever honed. I believe it was still sporting the factory edge.
Anyways, it has some slight blemishes nothing major. However there is some corrosion around the pin. Is there a way to remove the corrosion without losing anymore of the gold wash?
IMG_5188.jpeg
IMG_5189.jpeg
IMG_5190.jpeg

You can safely clean the gold wash with WD-40 and a soft cotton cloth. The WD-40 may help to convert any red oxide (red rust) to black oxide (magnetite) but, based on my experience, will not remove the black oxide. There is nothing wrong with black oxide if you like the look.

My recommendation is to do this and use the razor. Then if you really don't like the look of the black oxide, sand the blade clean. It won't look like a new duble duck, but it will have it's own charm.

Here is a Filarmonica 13 Medallon Taurino that I eventually decided to sand clean. In my case, I later bought a (pristine) NOS version of the same razor, so I now I have the best of both worlds.

Before. Looks like a mess to my eyes.

1688774295709.png

During. Looks sad to my eyes.

1688774338291.png

After. Looks good to my eyes. Like it had a thorough cleaning after being neglected.

1688774390153.png

You can safely clean the gold wash with WD-40 and a soft cotton cloth. The WD-40 may help to convert any red oxide (red rust) to black oxide (magnetite) but, based on my experience, will not remove the black oxide. There is nothing wrong with black oxide if you like the look.

My recommendation is to do this and use the razor. Then if you really don't like the look of the black oxide, sand the blade clean. It won't look like a new duble duck, but it will have it's own charm.

Here is a Filarmonica 13 Medallon Taurino that I eventually decided to sand clean. In my case, I later bought a (pristine) NOS version of the same razor, so I now I have the best of both worlds.

Before. Looks like a mess to my eyes.

View attachment 1682756

During. Looks sad to my eyes.

View attachment 1682757

After. Looks good to my eyes. Like it had a thorough cleaning after being neglected.

View attachment 1682758
I can try the wd40. Sounds like I might lose it anyway.

There is zero reason not to try the WD-40. Metal polish, sandpaper and steel wool will remove the gold wash (plating).

You can also cover gold wash with nail polish while using metal polish (like Mothers) to polish a razor and then remove the polish using acetone. You can buy a small bottle of acetone / nail polish remover in your local drugstore for a couple of bucks. Just check the label to make sure the bottle contains 100% acetone. See this video:

Try a little toothpaste on a qtip. If its surface rust, it will come off with minimal damage.

That's a great idea. I recently used toothpaste on stainless flatware and it worked well. I have also used toothpaste to remove a micro chip in a car windshield. Not sure I ever tried toothpaste on a razor.

Plain, old fashioned white toothpaste is what I use on a slipjoint pocket knife that is not as smooth opening and closing as it should be. I've even put it on pistol rails and run the slide back and forth a hundred times to smooth it up. Toothpaste washes off with just water. It is a very mild abrasive and will certainly clean up that razor.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The WD40 on a Qtip worked perfectly. It was all surface rust. I know eventually the gold wash will all rub off. When that comes to pass I’ll probably unpin and either polish it up or go have it replated.

The WD40 on a Qtip worked perfectly. It was all surface rust. I know eventually the gold wash will all rub off. When that comes to pass I’ll probably unpin and either polish it up or go have it replated.

That is awesome - congrats!

Keep your eyes open. You may find one in good shape with the gold wash intact for less cost and effort than taking one apart and having it replated. These razors are fairly common - just not in mint condition, but they are out there.

I like DD’s.
They look OK in plain scales and missing the gold wash. But they come into their own when properly restored. That’s the DD look.

Being quite familiar with gold wash I would hesitate to use an abrasive , even a “mild” one like toothpaste to clean it. It is just a WASH.
The examples given were on plain blades to remove rust/ oxidation. It’ll remove gold wash too. Use it if you don’t mind removing the gold too.
I wouldn’t do it. Advice I’d never give. Not knowing your skills, the abrasives or how hard you’d rub.

Out of the 5 here 2 have original gold . The others were re-plated.
It’s just a cool look along with the bling on the scales in my opinion.
IMG_3416.jpeg

Top Bottom