What's new

Dry red wines

I just want to put in a general plug for light red wines, since my American friends tend to disdain them in principle, or simply not know about them. And yet these are wonderful food wines and, in their own way, achieve great subtlety and character. But, like DE shaving, they have to be studied and learned. I am speaking of the wines of the Loire Valley (Touraine, Chinon, Bourgueil, Sancerre, Saumur Champigny, and others) plus the red wines of Alsace, and some Burgundies (for example, Irancy). And while Beaujolais in general is undrinkable, some of the Northern wines can be quite good (Morgon, Julienas, Saint Amour, and others). So please - give them a try!

This is a growing trend among the wine fanatics in the US to prefer the lighter red wines. It seems tastes in the US swing like a pendulum back and forth through the years. I kind of don't like the trend switching back to lighter or "classic" styles because there will be more competition for my red Burgundies....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm a big wino and picked up a jewel (for me). A 2005 Chateau Larmande magnum. Pretty lesser known chateau but GREAT stuff.

Other than that I've been drinking a lot of Cali Pinot and cab blends.

I only had that once, the '89, and I recall it being excellent. I believe it's a St. Emilion, so it's mostly a merlot/cabernet franc blend. Nice find. :thumbup1:

I just want to put in a general plug for light red wines, since my American friends tend to disdain them in principle, or simply not know about them. And yet these are wonderful food wines and, in their own way, achieve great subtlety and character. But, like DE shaving, they have to be studied and learned. I am speaking of the wines of the Loire Valley (Touraine, Chinon, Bourgueil, Sancerre, Saumur Champigny, and others) plus the red wines of Alsace, and some Burgundies (for example, Irancy). And while Beaujolais in general is undrinkable, some of the Northern wines can be quite good (Morgon, Julienas, Saint Amour, and others). So please - give them a try!

Light is my favourite too

I like both light and heavy reds. It all depends on what I am eating. That said I tend to drink heavy reds more often.

For Heavy I like Zins and Syrahs. My Favorites wineries for those are Ridge and Seghesio.

Tassinaia

I was introduced to this Tuscan red about 4 months ago by the owner of my favorite Italian restsurant in Houston. A blend of Cab Sav, Merlot and Sangiovese.

I didn't know this until now as I'm trying to find a link for the distributor, but "Tassinaia" means ”place of the stones,” or may alternately indicate a badger habitat from the Italian ”tasso,” or badger.

Need I say more?

Linky

I've had a few Chinon wines recently and really liked them. I particularly enjoyed the Chinon from Domaine de Pallus.

I've had a few Chinon wines recently and really liked them. I particularly enjoyed the Chinon from Domaine de Pallus.

Chinon is one of those appellations that comes in many styles, and some of the bigger ones would never be described as "light". Also, some Chinons age very well - twenty years and more. But this is quite rare. Chinon, by the way, is a lovely town, well worth a visit, with two or three good restaurants.

A lot depends on the year. I recently bought some 2003 Irancy. Normally, this is a very light Pinot Noir, excellent with chicken, veal or fish. But that hot summer produced a wine of huge depth and complexity (and, alas, price).

Last edited:
Feb 27th this year http://openthatbottlenight.com/index.shtml

It's all about opening a special bottle you've been saving... but can't remember what you were saving it for! I'll probably host an event at my house Friday the 26th since I'll be gone the 27th.

I did it last year and it was a blast! I also found the first american merlot I really liked!

I would be free that night if you are open to inviting relative strangers. My wine will be my entry fee :tongue_sm

Here in Virginia, we have a lot of wineries and vineyards. One of my favorite to go to is Pearmund Cellars in Broad Run, VA. They make a Petit Verdot that is one of the dryest I've tried; puckery mouthfeel at the end and heavily tannic...and so very, very good. Among my favorite dry reds.

I have to toss into the mix the various Malbec from the Mendoza area of Argentinia. I have been picking up a bottle here and there to give them a try, I have yet to find one that was not very nice to drink. One of the pluses for the Malbec is that you can find them at various price points which is always good.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have to toss into the mix the various Malbec from the Mendoza area of Argentinia. I have been picking up a bottle here and there to give them a try, I have yet to find one that was not very nice to drink. One of the pluses for the Malbec is that you can find them at various price points which is always good.

Good wine, and great values. Bodegas Weinert is one of my favorites.

I would be free that night if you are open to inviting relative strangers. My wine will be my entry fee :tongue_sm

PM me with an email addy. I'll be putting together an evite in the next week or so. probably be fairly small (8-12 people in their 20s-30s) but you're welcome to come. :thumbup:

You, sir, are one fortunate man. The most storied Burgundy besides Romanee-Conti...twenty years old. If I could afford a current bottle, and it was a good year, I'd have to wait more than fifteen years—I'd be pushing 70, and goodness knows if I could even drink anything at that age.

I hope you can enjoy it with your friend, and soon. :smile:

I'm penciled in to share this bottle with my friend next week, but I'm pretty sure I won't be feeling up to it by then. We'll have to reshcedule, as has too often been the case recently. :cursing:
proxy.php

My favorite dry red wine is what I have cooling right now (I prefer my red wine cool, I can't help it). It is a Williamsburg Winery Two Shilling Red. Not what many would consider a fine wine by any means, but I enjoy the taste and it is from my home region. For me, the history of a region is much more important than any of the more subtle nuances of the wine.

I also brought back some Malbec from a Mendoza mission trip. It is probably one of my favorite reds.

-CCM

I drink very little wine these days, preferring a decent real ale but when I did drink a lot, it was always reds.

My favourite back then was always well aged and very oaky Spanish Riojas. They were wonderful and really cheap here in Britain as nobody had discovered them.

These days, they are quite common and they are mostly young and unoaked and not worth drinking! They say that's what the customers want. Yeah, cheaper to make too.

If you find one of the old ones they are well worth it.

Gareth

Red wine is another of my $$$illy habits :blushing: Even though I have been living in Switzerland for 15 years, my favourites still tend to be Australian reds and the better wines are surprisingly good value here. A quick snap of one that I enjoyed recently......

proxy.php

Thank you everyone for this outstanding thread. It is unfortunate that our friend (ours and yours had you but known him) the late Ralph Junge could not have contributed to this thread and been a member of this organization. He enjoyed and knew as much about wine as anyone I have known. Wine? Yes! Favorite? Table: Red Category: Next He said that while he definitely enjoyed wine he did not have any actual favorite(s) because that might cause you to miss the best ever which might be labelled "Next" "I do look at the bottle or label but prefer to look into the glass containing it." It was his opinion that the days of "Wine & Roses" are today and tomorrow with so many more areas producing and so many more being produced. The only drawback to this he thought was that there are so many wines in proportion to the time available for trying and enjoying them.

"Wherever a friendly sun does shine you'll find happiness and good (red) wine; at least I've always found that so, Benedicamus Domino."

Thank you Badger and Blade members and thank you Ralph Junge; life would have been the pourer without you.

Top Bottom