What's new

Dry flake like skin texture

Simplify your routine would be my basic advice. You don't really need alum plus witch hazel, for instance, so choose one. Many aftershaves already contain witch hazel, also.

If you have sensitive skin, you may be getting a reaction to one of these products. So, if you can, keep it simple. You can gradually add things back in after a trial period.

A basic routine for example might be warm water prep, mild soap (lightly scented or unscented), warm water rinse, bit of witch hazel, then an unscented moisturizer such as a tiny amount of Cerave lotion applied while face is damp.

Thanks for all the advise, really appreciate it. Just to update everyone and for those newbie’s like me who might encounter the same thing.

Alum is the culprit for me. It went all better after dropping it. It will never gonna see the light of day unless I got a nasty nick which I hope will not happen.

I have a similar issue where the skin is drying out and flaking around lips and goatee. It's a known issue for 10+ years which is caused by soap or a mix of products, all which dry the skin bit by bit. Aftershaves containing alcohol make things a lot worse, in a matter of just a few days. Alcohol free aftershaves are a bit better, but still don't seem to help. Balms can improve things, especially if I apply more product 2-3 times a day.

Don't know if yours is exactly the same as mine. If it is, my solution was to use only glycerin after I am done with the shave and rinse my face. I buy mine in 99.99% purity for just a few EUR and dilute it with water until it leaves a tiny film and not feeling too 'greasy/oily'. 50 ml of glycerin will last me a whole year if I shave 340 days a year. Another benefit of glycerin is you can add a drop or two in the lather and create that uber lather, which is also more moisturizing.

Oh, and just as it was already mentioned above, drop the pre-shave and alum block. I'd start with the alum block first. If you want to use a pre-shave, you can use the diluted glycerin.

I hope this helps!
If applying directly to the face, glycerin should be diluted 1:1 with water. If not, it can actually pull moisture out of your skin.

In the proper ratio, I agree that glycerin is a good moisturizer.

If applying directly to the face, glycerin should be diluted 1:1 with water. If not, it can actually pull moisture out of your skin.

In the proper ratio, I agree that glycerin is a good moisturizer.
Undiluted glycerin will not spread out well and will leave a shiny, greasy feeling skin. I dilute mine to a ratio of 4:1 (water to glycerin), but I see that everyone using it has a different ration (sort of YMMV thing). However, as far as I know and based on my experience, you could apply it undiluted and not dry the skin. Glycerin moves the moisture (from air to skin or the other way around), so if you apply it on the skin (diluted or not) and live in a very dry environment, then glycerin can pull the moisture out from the skin. For this reason, commercial creams can mix some oils which trap the moisture in the skin. However, where I live, that is not necessary as the moisture never drops below 50% RH.

Alum is the culprit for me. It went all better after dropping it. It will never gonna see the light of day unless I got a nasty nick which I hope will not happen.
Besides that, ditch those balms and get a real face moisturizer as after shave. Unscented, quality ingredients aimed at skin barrier repair. You don’t even need witch hazel.

Cerave lotion or cream. Try it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Excellent. I have dry skin and do the same - only use alum when necessary, and only on that small spot. I give it a good rinse after it's done the job.

I follow each shave with Thayer's scentless WH w/aloe, and then Clinique Moisturizer. Any good moisturizer should work, but I would avoid heavily scented products. Since you're not a daily shaver - and I'm going to let that slide because I am a very magnanimous gentleman - you probably want to use some moisturizer as part of your daily routine.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for all the advise, really appreciate it. Just to update everyone and for those newbie’s like me who might encounter the same thing.

I have the same thing. I cannot use the Alum block 2 days in a row. I use it once a week but only because I have it. It’s not mandatory to the shave.

I bought some alum matches and a styptic pencil in case I need them.

Can someone explain briefly, in a few sentences, why you use alum in the first place, given that when a sensitive skin question comes up, the first advice the questioner gets is to stop the alum? What more will alum give you compared to modern aftershaves and balms?
I only use alum when I'm trying out a new razor to feel if it scratches my skin.
The systematic use of alum, at least for me, brings only negatives, nothing positive.

Can someone explain briefly, in a few sentences, why you use alum in the first place, given that when a sensitive skin question comes up, the first advice the questioner gets is to stop the alum? What more will alum give you compared to modern aftershaves and balms?
I only use alum when I'm trying out a new razor to feel if it scratches my skin.
The systematic use of alum, at least for me, brings only negatives, nothing positive.
Its absolutely pointless

Top Bottom