What's new

Drummers.......

Being a drummer, I was all about to thow a fit because there was a "best bass player" thread before dummer! Oh well, I can't win.:001_tt2: I love many of the drummer's mentioned, but the one guy that I think is changing everything and simply blows me away everytime I see him play is Gavin Harrison. He redefines technique, groove, and chops. See for yourself:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN43Q9a82mY[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for posting this, Matt.

Eau Claire, huh? Been a long time since I've been down there. My sister graduated from college there. I spent most of my life on a farm ouside of Hammond, WI. Familiar to you?

Anyway, I was the drummer in our high school, and everyone commented on how great I played... I was a good enough player to know that I had a LONG way to go in terms of technique. Guys like Gavin play with the style I always wanted to achieve, but I simply didn't have the discipline to work on it and get there. I always felt my playing was quite stiff and uninspired. I always felt a great drummer could achieve a certain "synchopated integration" with the band; good enough to stand out as an individual, and yet not forgetting he/she was part of the band. The video you posted sort of says it all!

Don

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'd have to say that the three most entertaining drummers I saw in person (and yes, I did see Neil Peart) were:

Keith Moon
Billy Cobham
Vinny Colaiuta

All different. All amazing.

Peart was already said but is amazing. I'll have to add Mike Portnoy, Vinny Dinati, and Mike Mangini to the list. Also (though many of you probably aren't into metal) Vinnie Paul from Pantera and Gene Hoglan (various metal bands) are amazing. Also Omar Hakim is really great in the jazz dept.

+1 on Gene. Also, Dave Lombardo is fantastic.

Wow you guys have this pretty much covered.
I recognize some of the big guns and i'll have a look at some of those I haven't heard of.

Those Jazz guys are amazing. The best drummer I ever saw live was a jazz guy who played with Daniel Lanois.
A close second is when we saw Pearl Jam play with Matt Cameron (of Soundgarden fame). He is an excellent drummer.
Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) is also one of my favourites. Very tight. Saw them a few times many years ago and they just blew me away.

But come on, do we have to look any further than this guy?
$muppet_animal.jpg

Last edited:
I'll agree that Vinny Colaiuta is world class.

I used to recommend to friends that they see Frank Zappa in concert. Even if they didn't like or even hated the music, they were sure to see the best drummer they had ever seen. The fans and the critics may not have properly appreciated FZ, but the musicians certainly did.

I couldn't agree more. Zappa's bands always had superb musicians, I lament not being able to see them live. In my mind, the stand outs are from the Roxy and Elsewhere / Live in Helsinki band, Ruth Underwood (percussion) and Chester Thompson (drums). Terry Bozzio had a brief but remarkable run with Zappa too. He's the real star of live Live In New York recording.

What about the guy from Throwing Muses-Dave Narcizo I think? Saw them live in London many years ago.I thought he was awesome.

Drummers (percussionists) I particularly enjoy:

Chris Cutler - Henry Cow, various ensembles
Charles Hayward - This Heat, various ensembles
Dave Kerman - 5uu's, various ensembles
Charles Gocher - Sun City Girls (R I P)
Pip Pyle - Gong, various ensembles (R I P)

I can't argue with any of the drummers listed. I believe all my favorites have been mentioned. Just thought I would throw Fred Young on here for those not familiar with him. I have known Fred since the 70's when he played for Itchy Brothers in warehouses and armories in rural Kentucky. Also his nephew John Fred Young who plays for Black Stone Cherry is a strong drummer as well.

Not only does Fred have world class muttonchops, his drum chops are up there as well.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UlJUPKIeY4[/video]

Jeff

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. Zappa's bands always had superb musicians, I lament not being able to see them live. In my mind, the stand outs are from the Roxy and Elsewhere / Live in Helsinki band, Ruth Underwood (percussion) and Chester Thompson (drums). Terry Bozzio had a brief but remarkable run with Zappa too. He's the real star of live Live In New York recording.

FZ did work with some the best drummers around. Also on his all star list are Ansley Dunbar, Ralph Humphrey and Chad Wackerman. Zappa was a drummer himself and appreciated what they can bring to the band rather than a necessity to keep time and add to the payroll.

Last edited:
Here is something of an obscure one for you.

My wife and I saw Lez Zepplin Saturday night. This is an "all-girl" Led Zepplin tribute banc, although they are way more that that. I have seen other tribute bands that mimic the original group, and do a great job of that. These folks really do recreate Zepplin well, but they also come across as really really good rock and roll band. For instance the stage banter is not an attempt to imitate Led Zep. The mood is preserved throughout, though, and it come across as quite charismatic.

They are all good musicians and the singer, besides looking and acting very much like Robert Plant has great pipes and sings much like Plant. The guitar player has it down. The bass player seems good, but I have trouble remembering the Zep bass lines of John Paul Jones, to make much of a judgement on how true to Zep and good she is.

However, the drummer, Leesa Harrington-Squyres, is out of this world. She absolutely channels John Bonham in all of his glory, but she is clearly a fantastic drummer beyond that. She really makes this group, which like I say is a very good group, but the quality of her playing just jumps off the stage. Most of it not showy or anything. It just creeps into one's brain that she is exactly on time, and always interesting and tasteful.

I have seen some excellent drummers over the years including some famous ones. But this woman stands up to most of them, I am convinced! Mad props!

Lots of great choices. I have to add Bobby Colomby of Blood, Sweat & Tears-saw them live, and he was just amazing. Lenny White of Return to Forever, also bears mention.

Joe Morello, who died this year. Brubeck has said his work in odd time signatures would not have been possible without Morello's drumming. This is one of their best versions of Take 5. His solo starts around 4:40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom