What's new

Dovo or Parker Shavette?

Looking to buy my first shavette, if things go well I will move to an actual straight. Which of the two models would you gents recommend?

Thanks,
Adam

+1 for the Parker. I've been using mine for a few weeks now and really like it. You may also want to check out the Sanguine CoolCut series. Similar to the Parker and available with stainless steel scales.

Go for the Parker. I've had both, and I thought the Dovo was just no good. The Parker, besides being cheaper, is much better and well made.

If you find you like using the shavette, be sure to look at both the Feather and the Kai straights. Both are disposable blade straights, and are top of the line.

I haven't used it, but I've also heard good things about the Sanguine CoolCut4. I believe it's heavier than the Parker.

i use a shavette every now and then so the parker has my vote. i rescaled mine and like using injector blades the best.

Parker. Holds the blade tighter. Look for the Sanguines on ebay too. They're half the price of the parker and function in the same way. I had one and it lasted me a while. Trying out a Parker now, seem reasonable

Looking to buy my first shavette, if things go well I will move to an actual straight. Which of the two models would you gents recommend?

Thanks,
Dovo or Parker...
Adam

Parker unless you opt for the green blade holder for the Dovo. It will hold the longer stiffer blade.
IMO. for a shavette that uses a 1/2 DE blade load like the Parker, the 'Magic' shavette loaded with 1/2 of a feather blade has about the same blade exposure as the Feather SS Artist Club and for a cheapo price of $10.00 USD OR Less and gives me a very fine and close shave. Of course, YMMV

Hi guys - Can I interject and as a question, which I think is pertinent to anyone following this.

Which Parker are we talking about? I know the Dovo takes its own long blades, which really are excellent and give a superb shave, but I cannot for the life in me find a Parker which is not a half DE type shavette? Is there one which is not, or are we talking about shaving with half DEs in the Parker that I have found?

I ask because I've tried a number of half DE type shavettes and have found the experience to be somewhere worse than hateful!

Please don't read me wrong - I am NOT trolling.

Having used Dovo blades in a Miraki and similar blades in an Orca, I cannot believe that folks are recommending a shavette which takes half DEs when such a great shave can be had from a Dovo blade ... presumably, in a Dovo shavette. Unless, there's a Parker which I've missed.

Again, please ... I am NOT trolling. Wide eyed curious :blink: :lol:

Thoughts appreciated.

Check out what TheVez2 has written on the subject of shavettes.
The one I own (and he recommends it highly) is the Weck SextoBlade -- not in production now, but available on eBay and Etsy.

Thanks, pal. I have a tonne of Wecks and Weck clones ... and other shavettes. I'm keen to know specifically which Parker is being highly recommended here.

Thanks, pal. I have a tonne of Wecks and Weck clones ... and other shavettes. I'm keen to know specifically which Parker is being highly recommended here.
I've never seen a Parker that doesn't take half de blades. So my assumption is that's what's being recommended.

I've used as Parker and gotten really nice shaves from it. It feels as little small in the hand, but is more than capable. I've also used a cool cut, which performs decently.

I've had a parker shavetre that uses the half-de blades for a while. It doesn't see much use but when I pull it out, like I did 2 days ago, I get great shaves from it. I've used shark, Astra so, and feather blades and they all work great, can't tell the difference between them.

I've had a few Parker shavettes , all of which used half DE blades, and all of which gave wonderful shaves once I'd got the hang of the light touch required.

Top Bottom