What's new

Doing my first restoration - 20mm Finest TGN knot

Since I currently own a M&F Blonde Badger I decided to try Finest in TGN. I've never used or owned a TGN knot before so this is all new to me. I had a 20mm handle that I really liked so I decided this was a great time to give it a shot.

Any suggestions while I wait on my knot to come in?

Check out the Brush Restoration sub section at the top of this forum......it helped me a lot. I have done 3 now. Just go slow and enjoy the fun of making something "new" out of something "old."

I have 2 M&F Blondes and have restored 10 others, all with various TGN knots, mostly finests. There is really no similarity other than the 2-band look. I love 'em all.

From TGN, the finest seems to have the most backbone and a little scritchiness, both qualities I desire. Their Silvertip, while very nice is softer than I like. Their Super badger is really likeable in that it's denser and has very soft tips. A nice knot.

Consider whether you want bulb or fan. As previously stated, loft is a huge factor in what you end up with. There's no right of wrong, just different. I have 24 mm finest at 50 and 53 mm and you wouldn't believe they came from the same planet. I set a 22 mm at 48, same radical difference. Don't set a soft knot too tall or you'll end up with a mop. Also, if you've enough material in the handle, consider enlarging the opening to accommodate a larger knot. For some, bigger is better.

If you wish details or some photos of mine to get some ideas, send me a PM. Good luck. The process is as enjoyable as the results.

I have some experience with the Finest knots. First, TGN makes a great quality knot. Of the half dozen I've had of different types, they've all been very dense and don't shed much if any. The Finest IMO is a great looking knot, but not as effective, and bulb/fan makes a difference. The fan is scritchier than the bulb, backbone about the same. Both seem to take forever to get a good lather compared to every other brush I own. I honestly don't know why. I've even had near lathering failures with them, while my Super Badger, or my Silvertip, or my Black Badger whip it up with minimal effort.

Maybe it's just me, I dunno! But thats my two cents.

This is all wonderful information, thank you! I think I will be going with their 20mm finest. My M&F is 26mm and my boar is 20mm and both get no complaints from me. Since this handle is already at 20mm I figure for simplicity I will stay with that for my first restoration. I've always had a bulb and I also enjoy them and see no reason to change. TGN currently has a 20mm finest knot with extra hair that I think I will grab and try out. Hard to go wrong for $24.

I have 2 M&F Blondes and have restored 10 others, all with various TGN knots, mostly finests. There is really no similarity other than the 2-band look. I love 'em all.

From TGN, the finest seems to have the most backbone and a little scritchiness, both qualities I desire. Their Silvertip, while very nice is softer than I like. Their Super badger is really likeable in that it's denser and has very soft tips. A nice knot.

Consider whether you want bulb or fan. As previously stated, loft is a huge factor in what you end up with. There's no right of wrong, just different. I have 24 mm finest at 50 and 53 mm and you wouldn't believe they came from the same planet. I set a 22 mm at 48, same radical difference. Don't set a soft knot too tall or you'll end up with a mop. Also, if you've enough material in the handle, consider enlarging the opening to accommodate a larger knot. For some, bigger is better.

If you wish details or some photos of mine to get some ideas, send me a PM. Good luck. The process is as enjoyable as the results.

So I would say that TGN's finest has the most backbone, but their black badger is the most skritchy of all their knots.

Also their super badger is basically the same as their silver tip knots but treated differently. It is nice a soft but not as soft as their silver tips. It is a good option if you find their silver tip brushes too soft.

Red the stickies in the brush restoration forum, and remember to not use a lot of epoxy. Remember, if you use too little and the knot falls out, you can always glue it back in...If you ruin the knot by having a lot of epoxy push it of the hole you can't really fix that :) . Good luck, post pictures!

I fell in love with this handle (see below) when I was PIF'd the brush by Angry_Panda ( http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...what-the-stork-brought-me!-(and-hey-a-PIF-too ). I used the brush a a few times and the head came unglued. No big deal, I have nothing by admiration and praise for Angry_Panda. I felt it was an ideal time to do a restore (or replace in this case). The knot is Finest Badger TGN 20mm with a loft of 50mm and the handle is 45mm. The handle was on the light side and hollow the 20mm cylinder so I loaded it with symmetrical weights giving it a nice heft. I wish I could weigh it but just comparing it weighs around two (maybe slightly more) vintage Gillettes or 100-120 grams. Overall I am VERY pleased.

Attachments

• $restoration.jpg
    $restoration.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
$restorationhead.jpg

Here is the top of the knot. I went with extra hair on this one and glad I did. Sorry the pictures are sideways, sometimes B&B does that and sometimes they are correct.

Top Bottom