What's new

Does the Game changer and Lupo share the same basic "geometry"?

I’d like to expand on this discussion. How does a BBS-A compare with the Lupo and GC razors? According to the manufacturer the BBS puts more bend on the blade then other razors, how does that affect the feel? We have all seen their razor scale, but I feel there are fundamental differences in geometry that make the razors feel completely different. It’s not like they share the same design and only the exposure changes

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I’d like to expand on this discussion. How does a BBS-A compare with the Lupo and GC razors?
I have a BBS-A and a BBS-AS plate. Well one would think it looks like the Wunderbar, it bends the blade, doesn't twist it, maybe it is a bit like the Wunderbar?

That's what I thought, but it isn't too efficient. The BBS-A is still mild, only moderately efficient. The AS is not more efficient, but dangerous in comparison. I nicked myself with it and had to be careful. I didn't get a better result out of the BBS line.

I haven't tried the BBS OC, maybe that one rocks, but the A is supposedly said to be more efficient.

The BBS cannot compare with the Lupo or GC plates. It is more suited for mild razor enthusiasts, some people live the AS plate, which I cannot follow or understand.

My first BBS-AS also has the dubious honor to be my first total loas in shipping. It got declared "destroyed" by customs and played bull**** bingo with responsibility with me. RazoRock basically sent me to Rasoigoodfellas in Italy and from there I got the A plate I believed to be the AS plate initially, later I got the AS plate from RazoRock as well. But if I would shave with a BBS, it would be the A plate. For the AS plate I saw no gain in efficiency, but the BBS got quite nasty with it.

Maybe I will try the OC plate one day but I think the Razorock multiple plates slant is next and I doubt any BBS plate can give me a better shave than various GC and Lupo plates.

The BBS OC is enjoyable and still has a place since it is still different than the GC or Lupo. The BBS OC is smoother than both and seems to shave as close as the .68 GC but not as close as the .84 versions. Not my favorite razor (might be because I am not fond on how the razor looks?)

I have a BBS-A and a BBS-AS plate. Well one would think it looks like the Wunderbar, it bends the blade, doesn't twist it, maybe it is a bit like the Wunderbar?

That's what I thought, but it isn't too efficient. The BBS-A is still mild, only moderately efficient. The AS is not more efficient, but dangerous in comparison. I nicked myself with it and had to be careful. I didn't get a better result out of the BBS line.

I haven't tried the BBS OC, maybe that one rocks, but the A is supposedly said to be more efficient.

The BBS cannot compare with the Lupo or GC plates. It is more suited for mild razor enthusiasts, some people live the AS plate, which I cannot follow or understand.

My first BBS-AS also has the dubious honor to be my first total loas in shipping. It got declared "destroyed" by customs and played bull**** bingo with responsibility with me. RazoRock basically sent me to Rasoigoodfellas in Italy and from there I got the A plate I believed to be the AS plate initially, later I got the AS plate from RazoRock as well. But if I would shave with a BBS, it would be the A plate. For the AS plate I saw no gain in efficiency, but the BBS got quite nasty with it.

Maybe I will try the OC plate one day but I think the Razorock multiple plates slant is next and I doubt any BBS plate can give me a better shave than various GC and Lupo plates.
I don't have the A plate, just the standard, OC and AS plates, but my experience with the AS was pretty different.
It felt quite safe, didn't get a nick with it, and it seemed comparably efficient to the Lupo 95 for me while feeling a touch smoother.

I haven't used either of them in a while, so perhaps I should do a direct comparison, as comparing gear from memory instead of during the shave just isn't very accurate.

I've just used both with the same blade and handle, and efficiency was about on par with each.
The BBS AS plate was definitely a little smoother, and there was hardly any blade feel, while the Lupo 95 side of the DC head I have was saying a polite greeting.

I also tried the quarter turn technique with the AS plate on one trouble spot out of curiosity and it did boost the efficiency more than I remember doing so in the past, and actually yielded a slightly better result than the Lupo on the other side of my face (without the quarter turn).

I think I'll end up selling the Lupo DC head, as I find using the Colibri base plates with an Above the Tie Windsor Pro top cap are a nice step up from the Lupo, but I need to perform a proper comparison shave there, too.

I'm surprised by how many are bothered by the texture of OC and scalloped SB plates... at the pressures they meet my face, there's no discomfort whatsoever.
Then again, I love scrubby brushes and face lather exclusively, so I'm obviously OK with plenty of sensation in my shave.

It's the *blade* I object to feeling too strongly ;)

As far as the BBS goes, I don't get as close a shave from it as I do from any of the other RR stainless razors (haven't tried the Wunderbar or Hawk though) and it's tied with the .72 Lupo for most likely to cause minor abrasion if I shave while only half awake, or in too much of a hurry.

lol, when I'm running late, I always *plan* to do a single pass and call it good enough, but 95% of the time I change my mind after the first pass and do a second, then rush it and wind up with a closer, but rather less comfortable shave than if I'd stuck to a single careful pass.

Top Bottom