What's new

Does "splaying" the brush help with lathering?

So I've been at this for about 9 months now, and I just realized that I have been "painting" on the lather. However, when I watch youtube videos, I see guys splaying the brush (pushing it into their face so that it splays out 360 degrees) and applying lather that way. So the last two shaves I have done that, and I swear that I am getting a better, closer shave. Am I just imagining this or is there something to splaying that applies the lather better or prepares the stubble better such that I'm finding it to result in more closeness with the shave?

Lather is generated at the tips of the bristles. Splaying can speed things up, but it's not really necessary to push the brush that hard, like you are trying to smash the brush into your face. Just a little pressure is enough. Working the lather a bit on your face does improve it and helps make sure your stubble is well prepared for the shave.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As a face latherer, I think it does help with lathering and what is most important, for me anyway, it feels great. Excessive force could damage the knot and is not recommended by most manufacturers so use your judgement and do not mash the knot flat against your face. I splay the knot and use rotational strokes but I am careful not to press too hard so as to not bend the bristles further than about half way. For me painting strokes simply are not enjoyable so I do not use them; a brush is simply a tool to give me pleasure and if I damage my brushes through sheer exuberant enjoyment then so be it. That said, I have not damaged a brush yet. But.... does it give me a closer shave? No. Just do whatever you enjoy is my advice 👍

My thought on splaying is that it improves the face feel of the brush but doesn't offer much benefit otherwise. One thing i notice are guys using these big honking brushes and really jamming the knot into their face so that the handle is nearly touching the skin- this will cause a donut hole to form in your brush. So if you're applying pressure, do it lightly. The tips of the badger feel the best, anyway.

Smashing the brush against your face can break the hairs of your knot. This is why it's recommended to use just the tips. But as it was said above, enjoy your shave. Buy another brush if you wear one out. I don't push against my face to the point that the bristles are pointing sideways, but possibly 45 degrees. this lets the tips scrub the skin as you're working it round and round. Working up a lather on your face helps soften the whiskers a bit too. lathering in a cup, bowl, or on the puck and painting on lather isn't scrubbing the face so no whisker prep unless you're doing something else as a prep besides just washing your face.

And remember, What you see on youtube is not always right!

I splay like a psycho unapologetically. It feels so good! And my lathers are remarkably better than if I just paint.

I have since cut back though and really only splay when lathering for the first pass.
I agree painting lather isn't enough for me. I tend to use a back and forth scrubbing motion with little pressure and try to avoid circular motions as this usually causes hair loss. Scrubbing builds up the structure a little bit and is important if you tend to use the heavily fatted artisan soaps that are almost similar to using a viscous oil. After the first pass, i use mostly painting strokes.

I use only painting strokes. Splaying the brush does not seem like something a gentleman would do. Likewise spattering lather everywhere by brushing too vigorously. Did Archibald Leach ever do these things? I like shaving to be a civilised and calming venture, even if that means it takes a little longer to build my lather.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I bowl lather so the lather is already ready without excessive brush action on my face... but I do splay the brush a bit... as was mentioned, perhaps 45 degrees though I've never measured it. I don't really think about it. I like a slight scrub so that's how I approach brushing on the lather. I use a pre-shave that I rub in with my hands, so my whiskers are already softened and I always shave after a shower. The lather adds to that, I'm guessing, but really, it's there to protect the skin. I'm hardly an expert but I am getting great shaves.

I love the shaving gear I have but in the end, the tools are there to accomplish the goal, i.e., a great shave.

Over splaying will ruin a brush eventually. Use the brush as you would a feather duster; lightly splay the tips using a back and forth motion, never circular.

I build lather in a scuttle, then work the lather into my beard with light, scrubby-like movements splaying the knot about one third the hair length. This keeps the tips in the game. I spend more time mooshing lather into my face than I need to because it's my face and I'll do what I want. :biggrin1:

If you want a stiffer massage effect, use a denser, thicker haired brush and more pressure. For a softer feel, use a thinner haired or a less dense brush and less pressure. Just always use the same relatively gentle splay. Don't try to make a brush something it wasn't designed to be.

Regardless, never skimp on the soap. Underloading will make ANY brush a disappointment.

So I've been at this for about 9 months now, and I just realized that I have been "painting" on the lather. However, when I watch youtube videos, I see guys splaying the brush (pushing it into their face so that it splays out 360 degrees) and applying lather that way. So the last two shaves I have done that, and I swear that I am getting a better, closer shave. Am I just imagining this or is there something to splaying that applies the lather better or prepares the stubble better such that I'm finding it to result in more closeness with the shave?
Splaying is NOT 360 degrees. 360 degrees is impossible. Don't you mean 180 degrees?

And remember, What you see on youtube is not always right!
But I thought if it was on the internet it is true?! At least that is what I read!
if-its-on-the-internet.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Splaying, in my opinion, is not really necessary. I think it may do some damage to the bristles; no empirical evidence, just my opinion. You want to work the lather fairly well into the whiskers, but I don't think you NEED to splay. But, if you see an improvement in the shave, by all means, just ignore me.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like to splay off the top, get that soap distributed. Then build the lather with some painting strokes as I hydrate appropriately. Building the lather on my face with a boar brush is a very satisfying part of the shave process for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
And here I am without a protractor handy.... I have several angle tools, some graduated, some not... among my woodworking tools. <eg>

Top Bottom