What's new

Does anyone else get allergic reactions to certain deodorants?

You guys sure its an allergic reaction, i.e. becomes red, itchy, get some paraesthesia (tingly feeling)

Often an antipersperant can overdry and clog everything up if you spray for too long or buy a cheapo with tons on aluminium chloride in it. The dry effect and rubbing of your armpit and armpit hairs can cause irritation.

Give then a very good wash, sometimes shaving your armpit hairs can help if its a dry issue.

If you think you have a delayed reaction, i.e. an allergic reaction with takes place usually after 48 hours:
1) apply anti persperant
2) leave it for a while say 5 hours
3) wash throughly in the shower/bath, you can tell because it will still have a talc feeling if not done propperly
4) dont appy anything for 3-4 days.

Hope that helps!

I have used Old Spice most of my adult life. I'm now 53 (but I look 52). It has occasionally caused some irritation. Recently the irritation got much worse. I tried Tom's with some scent, and the problem persisted. Then I tried Tom's unscented (teal container) and the problem went away.

Seems like there is a lot of problems with Old Spice, from reading this thread.

Tabac deo makes my pits itch something fierce.:eek:

+1

I used Tabac for years and I loved it. You can burst into sweat (sporting, working, gardening, ...) and by the evening you still could smell good without any sweat odor.
But then I got serious irritations where the skin of my armpits turned completely red. Very painfull actually where you can't stand any touch for a while till it's gone.
I tried again a few weeks ago on my hand and nothing happened so I dared to spray it again under my arms and I wished I didn't.
Again I had to sleep with my hands above my head to avoid any touch.
My wife threw the can away last week so I can't check on which of the ingredients might give the trouble.

I believe it was a B&B thread I saw some weeks ago that put me onto using one of the "natural" crystal type deodorants that are available these days. I got this: http://tinyurl.com/cbjqvs

This stuff takes me marginally longer to apply - say, 6-8 secs under each arm to ensure adequate coverage - but my results have been great. No odor of any kind at all. And it looks like the product will FAR outlast the SpeedStick I formerly used. All of these similar crystal products apparently act as a natural bacteria killer. I have seen nothing to suggest that this product is any worse for your overall health - in fact, it may be better for you. Worth a look, though as always YMMV. Check out the great number of positive reviews for these products, too.

I believe it was a B&B thread I saw some weeks ago that put me onto using one of the "natural" crystal type deodorants that are available these days. I got this: http://tinyurl.com/cbjqvs

I got a deo crystal not long after posting my previous in this thread - experience is overwhelmingly positive - although using an Ammonium Alum stick I did get very light irritation after a punishing cycle ride (during which I got a fleeting waft of ammonia a couple of times - so I surmised it's ammonia rash - aka nappy/diaper rash) - since switching to Potassium Alum (ie. shaving alum) no ammonia smell at all and no rashes. YMMV

Old Spice makes me break out in HUGE red itchy hives. it takes almost a week of applying nothing for it to go away. Try Burt's Bee's all natural deo spray, it works the best on me.
Another few items I try are Gold Bond Ultimate comfort powder, or try Anti-Monkey Butt Pwder. Another good item for the "Old School" is Bismoline Powder. All of theseprevent odor and help one stay somewhat dry.

I have huge problems with deodorants and anti-persperants. Lots off them really make my arm pits itch or worse. Many of the "organic" ones, including Tom's of Maine, are the worst. And I find one that does not for a while, usually it eventually does. Had excellent luck with the Thai crystal ammonium alum products for a really long time and then started getting reactions to them. Have been using Axe for quite awhile now--not my usual style--with no reaction. Now I am afraid I am starting to have a reaction to Axe, too.

I still use the Thai crystal on my face after shaving as an alum block. No apparent ill effects there. I think it has been great for my face. A nice feeling. Not talking about cuts, just a regular overall application. and then essentially rinse it off. But I used a lot of after shave stuff, often seriatum in the same session--bay rum(s), witch hazel, Luck Tiger moisterizer, various shave balms and splashes, Nivea moisterizer, Corn Huskers, skin food, cologne, bump stopper. My skin has never been better, but no telling what to credit, and there is such a mix, that the alum may not have enough contact to cause a reaction. I think if I put a lot of this stuff on my arm pits, I would have quite the adverse reaction.

Top Bottom