What's new

Does Alcohol=Barbicide?

Yeah, but that bottle of Barbi- or Marvicide makes gallons of cleaner. Probably enough for the rest of your life! BTW, Marvicide is the same but a bit cheaper.

So wait, I can use Denatured on razors and blades without a problem? I've always assumed it was more suited as marine fuel or as shellac thinner. I always kept a bottle of 90% around for razors. I have a big bottle of denatured around that I probably won't ever use up. Can I use it to clean razors once the 90% runs out?

My understanding is that denatured alcohol is denatured with a variety of different things depending on its intended use. So denatured alcohol CAN be made in such a way that it can be worn on the skin (as in aftershaves) or CAN be made with something that would irritate the skin. I suppose that after the alcohol air dries (to sterilize) you can rinse the razor with water to make sure that there isn't an adulterant left on the razor that'll give you a case of hives or something.

Other than, both should kill microbes.

If you are worried about sterilization do this after you have cleaned the rust/gunk off of your razor.

-15 minutes soak in Clorox Bleach solution (1 parts bleach to 4 parts water)
-15 minute soak in Alcohol solution (again 1 to 4)
-rinse with warm water.

Alcohol and Clorox will kill absolutely everything except for Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. And if you're worried about this then soak for an additional one hour in a 40g to 1L/water Sodium Hydroxide solution (but this is largely unnecessary unless you are shaving brains).

The only thing more effective than this is using an autoclave, or instead, have your wife stick the razor on a rack above the water in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes...

Having read a couple of papers on the CDC site regarding recommended practices for beauty and nail salons, and disinfection for healthcare equipment, it seems that 70-90% alcohol and/or a 1:10 bleach solution will kill just about everything, except CJ, as the previous poster said. I too got a bit nervous when I got my first vintage razor, so I thought I should look some things up. CDC is an almost overwhelming resource.

I think a lot of barber and beauty shops use Barbicide, etc for a couple reasons. I think the main ones are that it's sold in a concentrated form and it's not flammable (when diluted). I don't think it has a strong smell like bleach either (could be wrong on that one though, haven't stuck my nose in the jar). Other than that, it's not necessarily much more effective than other options. Plus I think at this point, it's a recognized, trusted brand, and if you see a pair of scissors soaking in a blue solution, you know what's going on. If they're just in some clear liquid, you don't really "know" what it could be or if they're disinfected.

Anyway, just my two cents.

I think a lot of barber and beauty shops use Barbicide, etc for a couple reasons. I think the main ones are that it's sold in a concentrated form and it's not flammable (when diluted). I don't think it has a strong smell like bleach either (could be wrong on that one though, haven't stuck my nose in the jar). Other than that, it's not necessarily much more effective than other options. Plus I think at this point, it's a recognized, trusted brand, and if you see a pair of scissors soaking in a blue solution, you know what's going on.

You're absolutely right about this. At my salon every stylist has a big ol' jar of the stuff with a bunch of combs sitting in them. What grosses me out is that some of these stylists think that dunking in BB is a substitute for washing off. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a stylist drop a comb onto a floor of hair shavings, dunk it into the blue jar, and start using it again. Yuck!

Jeff in Boston

Having read a couple of papers on the CDC site regarding recommended practices for beauty and nail salons, and disinfection for healthcare equipment, it seems that 70-90% alcohol and/or a 1:10 bleach solution.

Thank you, I couldn't remember the ratio for the bleach solution off the top of my head so I shot from the hip.

The only thing about using bleach is that I have seen some here say that as a strong oxidizer it may damage the finish or components of some razors. In my opinion a 1:10 dilution is pretty safe for most materials though, especially metals. Besides, that's the point of nickel & chrome & rhodium plating - they all resist oxidation really well. If anyone has direct experience with a problem though, say something. I've restored a grand total of two razors.

A 70-90% isopropyl alcohol soak (and slow air dry) shouldn't have those problems and should kill Hep B, Hep C, and HIV. You apparently need a bleach solution to take care of TB if that's a concern. If I remember right though, boiling or an autoclave is all that's going to kill Hep A. Some people here advise against boiling razors (I think there is concern about some of the springs in TTO's). I've boiled one razor but I used an insert in the pan to keep it out of direct contact with the hot metal at the bottom, and then I let the water heat and cool slowly. It's usually quick temperature changes that metals have a problem with, so this seemed like a good idea. I also boiled it with the TTO in an "open" position to reduce stress on the parts.

Who was it that said "Sure I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?" :001_smile

---------T_M

ps...I'm a little afraid people seem to want to treat Barbicide as the be-all, end-all, go-to disinfectant for their razors. CDC's info on Barbicide says that it's a low level disinfectant - it's ok for combs or brushes - things that almost never come in contact with bodily fluids (but maybe dirt, fungus, lice, etc). In one paper I saw there, for scissors, nail files, nail clippers, etc that *might* draw some blood, a barber or stylist is supposed to use alcohol (at least) to disinfect it. Anyway, thinking of Barbicide as the best possible treatment for disinfecting your used/vintage razor might be a bad idea. If it wasn't, hospitals would be throwing out their autoclaves and ethylene gas disinfectant machines in favor of big Barbicide vats.

Last edited:
I continue to stand by an alcohol bath. I use 90% Iso. Alcohol. I've been happy with it so far-- (knock on wood) no infections or illnesses to report. I ALWAYS give it a good Alc bath when I get it.

This whole thing kind of sounds like the old "tiger whistle" joke. You know:

"I got a new whistle to drive the tigers away."

"This is Jersey. There ain't no tigers around here!"

"See? It works great?"

I mean, is there anyone you know who has EVER contracted AIDS/TB/Hepatitis from an improperly sterilized razor? You can't possibly know if any of these methods work unless you know that the razor is infected in the first place.

:glare:

Jeff in Boston

And another:lol:

When I buy a used razor, I go through the following process;

24 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles
2 hour boil in CLR
Soak in Barbicide for 2 days
Scrub with toothbrush, toothpaste, alcohol and MAAS for at least 60 minutes
48 hours in the Autoclave
Another 1 hour boil in CLR and Vinegar
Just to be safe, I hit it with a Propane Torch with a full Rosette Tip.
I've done this with the 376 Razors I bought.
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

like suggested alcohol works fine. important ist that it is neither too diluted <50% Vol or pure 100% used (some bug-spores will only be conserved and not killed if you use 100% alc). Optimum is between 70-90% ethanol or isopropanol.

I mean, is there anyone you know who has EVER contracted AIDS/TB/Hepatitis from an improperly sterilized razor? You can't possibly know if any of these methods work unless you know that the razor is infected in the first place.

:glare:

Jeff in Boston

For me it's more of a neurotic kind of feeling that I use alcohol (the rubbing kind:thumbup:) to alleviate. And as to whether anyone has ever contracted anything, I don't know. But wouldn't it suck to be the first one? lol

Just to add, I was looking for some barbicide and locally nobody knew what I was talking about, but I did find this.

http://nationalsalonsupplies.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=8942

Appears to be the same thing from the TGA info I could find as it contains quaternary ammonium derivatives and the above mentioned Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride aka http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride

After reading this I'll probably just stick with the Isopropyl I already have around for cleaning electronic parts. Weirdly I asked one local chemist if I could use this for disinfection and she said it wasn't any good, ***? Don't think I'll go there any more.

barbacide is is soo cheap....when not use the 'big gun"?? I barbacide every "new" razor just be be on the safe side.

Where is it "so cheap"? No store in my area sells it, so I'd have to get it mail order. The lowest price I've seen is around $10 on Amazon, plus several dollars in shipping. Big jugs go for around $20.

Instead, I can pay $1 for a bottle of alcohol, 89 cents for a bottle of bleach, and $2 for some Scrubbing Bubbles locally and get absolutely the same results. And I can use the rest to clean my bathroom of whiten my clothes or sanitize cuts.

:001_rolle

Jeff in Boston

Alcohol will kill most live bacteria but won't reliably kill viruses or bacterial spores. Better to clean with detergents then immerse for a while in a bleach solution. Best to look up the appropriate concentration - I can't recall.

EDIT: Enveloped viruses, including cold, flu, HIV, are susceptible to alcohol. It's the non-enveloped ones which aren't.

Last edited:
I've yet to 'disinfect' any of the razors I've bought. They all get a good scrubbing with a kitchen soap-scum/cleaner spray, antiseptic washing-up liquid and are then cleaned up with Autosol metal polish.

Is there really a big issue about catching anything from a razor that's 40 - 80yrs old?

I've not died yet or contracted any nasty diseases that I know about... :biggrin1:

Where is it "so cheap"? No store in my area sells it, so I'd have to get it mail order.
That seems odd. Surely the salons and barber shops in your area have local suppliers?

Is there really a big issue about catching anything from a razor that's 40 - 80yrs old?
Depends on the specific razor and what it has been exposed to. Generalizations don't really mean much in this context. A 40-80 year old razor could be new in the box, just used, used decades ago, etc. The age by itself doesn't tell you anything about how clean/sterile it actually is.

I've not died yet or contracted any nasty diseases that I know about... :biggrin1:
Ever heard of the term anecdotal evidence? :biggrin1:

Last edited:
After cleaning the razors with Scrubbing Bubbles (or its equivalent), wiping the surfaces down with rubbing alcohol will suffice.

Note that alcohol kills germs when it DRIES. Wiping it off, therefore, sort of defeats the purpose.

I put some on one of those cotton rounds my wife uses for her make-up removal, wipe the surfaces of the razor, and allow it to air dry. Good to go.

and yes, I am a doctor. Not only that, but I'm an infectious diseases subspeciallist. :thumbup:

I think we finally have the answer about the sanitizing process from the proper authority. :thumbup: Thanks!

Where is it "so cheap"? No store in my area sells it, so I'd have to get it mail order. The lowest price I've seen is around $10 on Amazon, plus several dollars in shipping. Big jugs go for around $20.

Instead, I can pay $1 for a bottle of alcohol, 89 cents for a bottle of bleach, and $2 for some Scrubbing Bubbles locally and get absolutely the same results. And I can use the rest to clean my bathroom of whiten my clothes or sanitize cuts.

:001_rolle

Jeff in Boston

Not disputing your conclusions, but there has to be a Sally's Beauty Supply somewhere near you and they carry Barbicide.

Would hand-sanitizing gel work? The main ingredient is denatured alcohol, and it claims to kill 99.9% of all known germs/bacteria....

I guess if the doc says alcohol works, I could use this stuff as it's very cheap and freely available everywhere in the UK!

Top Bottom