What's new

Does a preshave help?

Yes and no for me, I use a PAA Cube before every shave but really as a “stubble” wash as I feel like it helps moisturize my stubble and keep it hydrated for easier cutting. I will use Proraso every now and then as I feel like it sort of locks in the moisture before I shave. That said I have shaved a lot without either and get good shaves but the prep helps take it from like 95% to 100%.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I agree 100% with @frogman1821 :)

My most favorite pre-shave, is soap based, its slicker then snot, it lather's so nicely on the spot. It prepares my whiskers for the shave ahead, softens them up, lubes them up, to help prepare, for my soap lather to go right on top of it. 2-solid layers of soap lather on my face by this point, and ready for my razor to glide, as it removes the whisker insurgence off my face, and to go promptly down the drain. Yessir!

Presenting, my most favorite pre-shave in the world, the.........................

PAA Menthol Ice 2.0 Pre-Shave Cube!

proxy.php

The overlord Of My Shave Den!

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I’ve always eyed the cube but I’ve never pulled the trigger. I’ll get one on my next PAA order. I have Proraso and Cella. Don’t know if I can tell a difference. I used to have the flood gel and I liked that.

I am glad to hear that you spotted the cube with your keen eye. In other words, you already understood the decision you had to make, you just needed us, to help you understand it. Sounds like a plan to me sir, just hmm, make sure you get a cube dock to go with it, you can get them in black or clear. Better living when your pre-shave cube doesn't make your counter grose with soap residue. When your done with the pre-shave, place it down on the dock, and it air dries, and keeps your counter looking clean. I know you are going to love the PAA Pre-Shave cube's! Infact, next month, I want to get at least 1 more cube and dock. Its nice to have a little variety in ones shave.

Depends on your skin, type, age, razor, soap, what you are using for a pre shave. It like anything, try it ..but this again have so many variables.
Works for me, my dad would say...It like painting...prep matters..I have been using a pre shave process for 50 years, many small step changes...but important for me. It is totally a personal shave process thing. Benefits: I would not do it, if it had none...For Me..
At 66, it not just the shave ..it face management....again for me...
YMMV..
BFX..

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have a pre shave routine just with whatever soap I happen to use on any given day. I’ve skipped the routine and the results are the same, I just like doing it. My shaves ar great, and my skin isn’t sensitive or problematic.

Do you find that a preshave improves your shave and reduces irritation? If so what is your favorite?

What exactly are you talking about?

a) Pre-shave like in wetting your face with a warm sponge or towel (and possibly some soap), let the face absorb some moisture (maybe up to three minutes) and soften the whiskers?

b) Pre-shave like applying some pre-shave oil or cream across the area to be shaved and hoping for some miracle?

I consider a) essential, while I consider b) only good for the manufacturer of the concoction.

People may disagree with me and that is fine, but in my experience most experienced shavers outgrow the era of pre-shave creams as they become more skilled and the lubrication that the lather from a good shaving soap or cream provides becomes more than enough.

I experimented with pre-shave creams when I was fairly new to shaving with safety razors and straights, but over time it made less and less difference to me until I eventually found it superfluous.

B.

I'm a head shaver and currently shave my face only to keep my beard manicured, so it's mostly below my jawline and my neck. Due to recent time constraints, that's only been about once per week.
The best preshave routine that I have found, to date, is as follows:

First, I take as hot a shower as I can. I'm using Bath and Body Works Beard and face wash on pretty much everything above my shoulders while I do this. I let it set for a few minutes, then rinse it good. All told, my head/face gets a good three minutes under the water, plus some.

I towel dry my face, and get some clothes on, then I apply 5-10 drops of the BBW beard oil to my entire beard, including the stubble that's going to come off.

I then whip up a good lather with Proraso Green soap, and apply it to the area that I'm going to shave (including head) and wrap it up in a good hot towel (water heated in a teapot, the towel soaking in the sink for my entire shower). I usually get 3-5 minutes before the towel starts to cool noticably.

I use the towel to wipe that first lather off, and lather up the shave areas while my face is still wet. I then do two passes and touch up.

The main thing is washing the face and hydrating the whiskers. Hydrating the whiskers reduces the cutting force needed to shave them.

You don't necessarily need a special product for pre-shave. A mild glycerin face soap will work (e.g. Neutrogena). Some preshaves are basically stearic acid, water, glycerine and a little oil. You could just as well use a mild face cleansing cream (e.g. Noxzema).

I do like the PAA Cube and Ice Cube, but they are pretty much glycerin soap with some added menthol, conditioning ingredients and some silly marketing. You do get a huge chunk of soap that lasts a long time. I turned mine into soap sticks which are quick and easy to use.

I'm in the same camp here. I just find that when I use the cube, things go better. I realize there are other products out there similar in composition but I like that there are several available with different scents, or no scent...depending on what shave soap I'm using.
There are times, however, if I'm using a top tier soap I just use the leftover soap off the tub as my P/S and I find it works about as well.
I seldom use oils anymore, and even though places like Stirling does a wonderful job of matching oils to their soap scents, I don't use them like I used to and in fact have tossed many of them that I purchased in the sample sizes.

Yes and no for me, I use a PAA Cube before every shave but really as a “stubble” wash as I feel like it helps moisturize my stubble and keep it hydrated for easier cutting. I will use Proraso every now and then as I feel like it sort of locks in the moisture before I shave. That said I have shaved a lot without either and get good shaves but the prep helps take it from like 95% to 100%.

I agree 100% with @frogman1821 :)

My most favorite pre-shave, is soap based, its slicker then snot, it lather's so nicely on the spot. It prepares my whiskers for the shave ahead, softens them up, lubes them up, to help prepare, for my soap lather to go right on top of it. 2-solid layers of soap lather on my face by this point, and ready for my razor to glide, as it removes the whisker insurgence off my face, and to go promptly down the drain. Yessir!

Presenting, my most favorite pre-shave in the world, the.........................

PAA Menthol Ice 2.0 Pre-Shave Cube!

proxy.php

The overlord Of My Shave Den!

proxy.php

Do you find that a preshave improves your shave and reduces irritation? If so what is your favorite?

Yes, the best preshave oil is olive oil or vegetable oil. It beats any other product available and it adds that extra slickness plus your skin will feel super smooth after the shave.

Never used any preshave produce in last 25+ years.

My preshave is lather face, brush teeth, shave.

When I tried electric razor 50 plus years ago, used liquid preshave that felt like putting WD-40.🤮. Whole electric razor was bust.🤬

Top Bottom