What's new

Do you prefer covered blade tabs?

Shaving with an enclosed tabs razor.

$Schick Nascar.jpg

Shaving with open tabs.

$Gillette F1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

For me, it is more like comparing a Can-Am II car (covered tabs) with a Formula 5000 car (open tabs)..... ;)

Stan (who actually raced)

I don't much care either way. I like the look of covered tabs, but the razors I use most are my ATT and Weber both of which expose them.

It depends. If the razor has perfect blade alignment, like on my iKon Deluxe OC, then I don't mind the covered tabs. If the blade needs to be fussed with, like on my ShaveCraft 101, then it's annoying, because the tabs are what I would generally use to align the blade; so in this case, I end up having to touch the sharp edge of the blade to align (which is not a good design).

I much prefer them to be exposed on a slant, but it is a nice thing on straight bar razors if the tolerances are tight.

I think both work fine. I'm not really sure how a covered tab would get in the way of a shave. If need be, change up the technique a bit. No big deal.

I trim the tabs off with pruning shears.

+1

This is part of my everyday routine. It's what I do while I let the lather sit on my face. Now that there's snow on the ground, I'll probably need to bring the shears in from the shed so my socks don't get wet.

Regular scissors will work too.

+1

This is part of my everyday routine. It's what I do while I let the lather sit on my face. Now that there's snow on the ground, I'll probably need to bring the shears in from the shed so my socks don't get wet.

Absolutely I prefer the ends of the blade covered by the end of the razor's head. One doesn't see that design feature often, but I view it as a sign of superior engineering. The Barbasol Floating Head razor and the Krect Shave razor from the 1930's have that feature. The Apollo Mikron also has it. The Segal has that feature (almost) but in a slightly modified way.

I'm a little surprised that so few on the forum thus far value that design. It is a very nice touch and shows the razor company had some bright engineers.

Last edited:
Absolutely I prefer the ends of the blade covered by the end of the razor's head. One doesn't see that design feature often, but I view it as a sign of superior engineering. The Barbasol Floating Head razor and the Krect Shave razor from the 1930's have that feature. The Apollo Mikron also has it. The Segal has that feature (almost) but in a slightly modified way.

I'm a little surprised that so few on the forum thus far value that design. It is a very nice touch and shows the razor company had some bright engineers.

Bright designers, perhaps, that value aesthetics, but I don't know if there's any real engineering advantage to cover the tabs. Many razors don't cover the tabs and they're just as capable if not better than those you mentioned which do cover the tabs.

No preference.

Also sounds to me like you're confusing design and engineering.

It really shouldn't be surprising. Preferences vary on any topic.

Bright designers, perhaps, that value aesthetics, but I don't know if there's any real engineering advantage to cover the tabs. Many razors don't cover the tabs and they're just as capable if not better than those you mentioned which do cover the tabs.

Makes me wonder why leaving a little exposed is the standard. There must be some reason.

Well, giving me something to hold onto when I sometimes have to unstick the blade from the razor is reason enough for me but I think the real reason for the extra width in the center of the blade is to maintain its status as one piece instead of two. If you were to make the whole blade only as wide as the cutting edge there would be barely enough (if any) metal left between the cut-out and the outer edge.

No preference.

Also sounds to me like you're confusing design and engineering.

It really shouldn't be surprising. Preferences vary on any topic.

Good engineering creates a good design, but good design is not necessarily the product of good engineering.

Or something like that. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom