What's new

DO they shave badgers for the hair if not why not?

Been crawling into a few wolverine dens as well, try to avoid them being at home though:wink:

I do teach as well.

Sverre

That'd be way up my list! Unlike shaving badgers...saying you drew the short straw isn't even a beginning. Your job sounds quite interesting.

By the way, the most voracious carnivore on earth is said to be the shrew. They're tiny but they eat almost ceaselessly.

If you put three of them into a container they can't escape and don't give them any food, here is what happens:

1) The two stronger animals eat the weakest one.

2) The stronger of the remaining two animals eats the other one.

3) The last remaining shrew EATS HIMSELF until his death prevents him from finishing the meal.

True stuff.

The finest badger hair is collected by the jolly Badger Hair Fairy, as it naturally falls from the badgers as they age. The jolly Badger Hair Fairy sings lustily as he picks up the precious strands that fall to the forest floor. In exchange for the gift of badger hair, the jolly Badger Hair Fairy treats the balding badgers with minoxidil, restoring the older badgers to a proud, hirsute state.

When the dignified old badger finally goes to his reward, the remaining hair is harvested by a bevy of lovely young women, who tearfully sing the praises of the old departed badger as they tenderly pluck the body of the dearly departed. This becomes best badger, except for the hairs that are touched by the tears of the mourning nymphs, these special hairs become silver badger.

Boars, on the other hand, are waterboarded with Lilac Vegetal, clubbed and shorn with hedge clippers.

I'm going with this one. LOL! :001_smile

We put tracking collars on domestic sheep in the mountain areas where there are wolverines (or other large predators). We can then find out when they die, who killed them (eagles, lynx and foxes kill them as well).

Farmers here get compensated for sheep killed by wolverines, bear, wolves, lynx and eagles, but not those killed by foxes or other animals they can hunt at will. So the state needs accurate assessments of the causes of death among the sheep in the area.

Involves a lot of hiking in the mountains and loads of autopsies of the sheep.

Been crawling into a few wolverine dens as well, try to avoid them being at home though:wink:

I do teach as well.

Sverre

Sound interesting... working with nature is a good calling.

That'd be way up my list! Unlike shaving badgers...saying you drew the short straw isn't even a beginning. Your job sounds quite interesting.

The Wolverine didn't have a fully loaded automatic:biggrin: Glad to say I never had to shoot any predators, they are magnificent animals.

PS! Shrews taste horrible according to most predators so our cat just kills them and never eats them..

I once heard on Animal Planet that badgers actually smell worse than skunks. This explains the complaints about the brushes stinking. :D

I'd believe that if they were talking about everyday walking around scent. I've been pretty close to a few skunks (2-3 feet), and never smelled a thing, while ferrets and the like are rather smelly.

However, i'm pretty sure it's no contest if the skunk brings its weapon to bear. You can smell a skunk spray from a good half a klick away, although it's not unpleasant at that distance. Close range is brutal. Gag reflex inducing, flee the scene, clamor for fresh air type brutal.

No doubt. But pound for pound the American badger has it all over the Eurasian badger. This is an animal that is not afraid to get in tussles with bears. And the bear is the one that ends up running away.

Right! "Our" badgers can kick "their" badgers butts! :biggrin:

Now onto the Shrews.... I've heard vague reference of efforts to tame one... (okay, I'll keep my day job. Anyone hiring? :cool:).

I am surprised Plisson does not have a $25,000 brush made from wolverine hairs hand plucked one at a time from live wolverines...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am surprised Plisson does not have a $25,000 brush made from wolverine hairs hand plucked one at a time from live wolverines...

For only $25,000, would YOU hand-pluck hair from a live wolverine? :blink:

For only $25,000, would YOU hand-pluck hair from a live wolverine? :blink:
All I know is, when I do it, I do it with this,
proxy.php
and this. :lol:
proxy.php

Top Bottom