What's new

Do synthetics lather better than badger brushes?

I have a mixture of silvertip/super/best badgers from Kent, Simpsons, and Rooney in addition to “post-plisson” synthetic brushes. I will say that while nothing on this earth will separate me from my chubby 2, the new synthetics are damn fine brushes. I have had pretty good luck with the Fine stout, and the Razorock big Bruce. Just enough backbone, excellent splay, and really effective at both face and bowl lathering. Water retention takes some getting used to if you are coming from badger. The synthetics definitely have a place in my rotation.

one of my synths was pif'd, the other is my keyboard cleaner.

Like that you use your synthetic brush in the same way i do to clean my keyboard, I don't like synthetic brushes as they don't have enough backbone for me. Plus they don't exfoliate my skin enough so I will stay with my badger, Boar, and my nag. If I could whip up a lather on a scrubbing brush i would use that as my main brush.

I think the synthetics lather up easier than natural hair brushes. They are different shaving sensations to me as some of the synthetics don’t splay as easy as a Badger. I enjoy them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like that you use your synthetic brush in the same way i do to clean my keyboard, I don't like synthetic brushes as they don't have enough backbone for me. Plus they don't exfoliate my skin enough so I will stay with my badger, Boar, and my nag. If I could whip up a lather on a scrubbing brush i would use that as my main brush.

You should try to locate and purchase a version 1 muhle or Edwin Jagger silvertip fibre brush. They are synthetic and have a good amount of scrub.

On another note, I always used to think I needed to scrub my beard and always preferred boar brushes.

I get a better shave using my synthetics just because the lather is better and more fine tuned to the way it suits me better, and they gave zero scrub or exfoliation.

Just an interesting outcome I thought I'd share.

I was a bowl latherer and the badger was champ. Synth didn't work well.

Now I face lather and the synth outperforms my badgers.

So for me the lathering method tells me what brush to use.

Also, I have noticed that synths with soft soaps like L&L, Reserve and even WKDM is the way to go with my water.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

Jaxtraww,

What type of water do you have?

I've had mixed results with synthetics. The first time I tried it with Grooming Department, it was ok, Second time, it was a total unmitigated disaster. Today, when I used my badger with mountain spring water it was just like the first time around when I used the synth with distilled water.

I would have to presume I'm more accustomed to using my badger brush, since the synth is a newly acquired brush, thus have little experience with it.

Given the results, and the different waters and brushes used, I think it has to do more with my technique.

(but that's another story...)

Duggo

I'm using the Maggard Granite synth which has a pretty big knot. I wasn't a fan at 1st but with me using those softer soaps and face lathering it has come into its own.

Saying that I shaved with my WW Badger with Mike's barbershop this morning and had a fantastic shave.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

Jaxtraww,

What type of water do you have?

I've had mixed results with synthetics. The first time I tried it with Grooming Department, it was ok, Second time, it was a total unmitigated disaster. Today, when I used my badger with mountain spring water it was just like the first time around when I used the synth with distilled water.

I would have to presume I'm more accustomed to using my badger brush, since the synth is a newly acquired brush, thus have little experience with it.

Given the results, and the different waters and brushes used, I think it has to do more with my technique.

(but that's another story...)

Duggo

I am a big proponent of test lathers with any new soap, bowl lathering. I tend to utilize my synthetics for this, but will also use my badgers on occasion. I do not use these lathers to shave so I can take my time and analyze where the lather breaks, with how much water, etc. Then when I shave with the new soap, I have a much better idea about where the water amount should be at and fine tune it more. This has prevented a lot of frustration during my first few shaves with new soaps. Just my two cents.

I'd say no. I've never had alot problems making lather. I do use synthetics fairly regular but would say I prefer natural fiber boar and badger, no fan of horse hair knots however. Here's a cashmere homemade brush used this morning. I do like the feel of this brush but a boar or badger would have done as well.

I swear I'm trying to like them, I use them from time to time, but they get mostly ignored around here. Loving the keyboard cleaner!! Too old to change now.

Jaxtraww,

What type of water do you have? ("hard" or "soft")

[snip]

Duggo

It might be beneficial to all including those with limited experience in generating a lather. I've been here for over 11 years, but it seems I've lost my touch, I'm embarrassed to say. Plus in my little corner of the world, our water here is "hard," which isn't the best for making a lather.

Thanks in advance,

Duggo

For me, it's just understanding how each is going to react to the lather building process, and being patient. I don't have a single natural hair brush that lathers exactly like another one of my natural hair brush. Synthetics seem to be more consistent in this sense, across the board regardless of type of synth knot. (tuxedo, cashmere, BOSS, plissoft, etc...)

I find that it's easier to control the amount of water with synthetics, especially when you're rotating through multiple brushes. Different types of badgers react differently and hold differing amounts of water (3-band, 2-band, manchurian, etc...), but synthetics are generally all the same. The fibers do not absorb water like natural hair brushes. With that in mind, when I have a new soap to try, I will reach for a synthetic first. But for most shaving days, I'm reaching for a badger. (not due to preference, I just have more badgers) I enjoy all of my brushes for what they are, not what they aren't; from my pricey Paladin's and customs to my inexpensive Stirling badgers and Razorock Bruce synth.

Bottom line, find what you enjoy using...if that is one inexpensive synthetic or multiple high priced badgers or customs. That's one of the biggest joys of this hobby, that you get to make it as enjoyable as possible for you!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't believe there is a universally better brush material for building lather.

There is quite a variation between brushes, but I don't find that's a boar/badger/synthetic issue.

For bowl lathering I find that the smaller the brush the more work the build takes. I also don't find that a lot of backbone is an advantage (although none is always a pain).

My best lather builder is an SOC boar - much better than the SOC badger: which is smaller with considerably more backbone. But my Kent BK8 is also excellent: a huge, silvertipped badger.

I travel with synthetics, but I don't have one of the bigger brushes. Mine currently is a WD, which is fine, but no where near the SOC or Kent.

Can you find a particular synthetic that lathers better than a particular badger? Of course.

I use a scuttle and never considered it a burden to go back and dip into that warm lather.

It sounds to me like you just need to load more soap. Double you loading time, work the lather adding water to proper consistency and see what you have. I find I have to increase the amount of soap when I use my badger, as it tends to hold more lather in the knot. If I load the same amount as I do with a synthetic, I get a nice amount for my first pass, but second and third are a bit on the light side. If I increase my initial load, I end up with plenty for all 3 passes.
BTW - I generally prefer synthetics, but do enjoy my gel tipped badger now and then. :)
Good luck!

I have mixed feelings towards synthetics. I own 3 of them now. A Stirling B&W, Epsilon, and Maggards granite handle. The Stirling lathers like a champ and also releases the lather well. The other two brushes hog the lather. I still get a great shave but I have to work harder to get the lather on my face.

I would rate them a half-step below my Vie-Long Lord Randal Silvertip. That's not to say they are bad brushes by any means; I use them often and enjoy them.

Today was my second day using a Sterling 2 tone synthetic brush. It takes me alot longer to lather with this than it does with my cheap VDH "luxury" badger brush. I got this bush because it has very positive reviews from others. But I tried a synthietic brush some weeks ago named Body Shoppe and I did not like that one either.

It took almost 5 to 6 minutes to face lather this morning and I had to keep going back to add more water multiple times. With a badger using Stirling soap I can be done with face lathering in maybe 3 minutes (including the brush loading time).

I see many people here post that a Synthetic is faster to lather than a badger but that has not been my experience at all. But I have 3 years experience with badger and less than a week with Synthetic.

I really want to like the synthetic, It did give a good shave today but the lather was not as thick as what I get with the badger also. It takes more effort to splay the synthetic than to splay a badger. I think I am too much accustomed to the badger and its hard for me to convert the technicques for use with synthetic

Top Bottom