What's new

Do old fashioned Gentlemen's Clubs stills exist?

I was watching a Sherlock Holmes episode and Sherlock went to visit his brother Mycroft (great name eh?) at the Diogenes Club...an elite gentlemen's club. Do these kinds of clubs still exist or have they gone into extinction? If one were available in your area would you join? Do you think there would be a market for this kind of club these days?

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Pretty sure myself and a buddy drunkenly walked in to one while in Chicago. We went to a White Sox game and had time to kill so were wondering around downtown Chicago. I couldn't tell you what prompted us to walk in or where in the world it was at but I remember a billiards room and one room with very nice furniture and portals on the wall of men from what seemed like the 1800's all the way to modern day. None were US Presidents. Remember the club in the movie Trading Places? It reminded us of that. We roamed around for about a half hour and saw like one or two dudes in suits but they paid us no attention.

Then we got thirsty and left.

Me think they are rare as hens teeth anymore. Fraternal orders are dying off too. Moose, Elks, Odd Fellows, etc. When I was a kid lives revolved around lodge activities, then TV and Great Society combined to reduce the need for community support & involvement.

I will mention that over here gentleman's club can also mean a strip club. Just a warning if you are doing a Google search.
Thats the exact thing I thought when I clicked on this thread. In the midwestern part of the U.S., we have places called, "Elk Lodges" or "Moose Lodges" that are kind of like what the OP is talking about: a place where men can come and hang out with each other and its a place just for me that are a private club. They used to be really popular but have kind of fallen out of favor nowdays. Theyre pretty cool though.

I am surprised something like the Pendennis club is still exists and I am more than happy about it. It is obviously in the same vein as the great clubs you see depicted in movies about London society in the late nineteenth century.

There used to be lessor versions of these for more pedestrian members of society but as noted about the fraternal orders, they seem to be going extinct. My dad was a Mason for years and none of those men I knew from Dad's time there would have ever called a greasy strip joint a 'gentleman's club'.

Another variation on these types of clubs was the scene in The Mummy(1999?) With Brendan Fraser. When they made it back to Cairo they encounter 'Winston'. A retired RAF pilot ( portrayed by the great Bernard Fox) who is of course reminiscing in a slightly tipsy state at a very posh gents club. I am not sure if that club is real or a set but I would love to visit something similar!

There are several in Chicago that I know of. The University Club and The Union League Club are both still kicking while The Chicago Athletic Association is no more.

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Boom boom room.

Attachments

• $image.png
    $image.png
    199.7 KB · Views: 152

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm a Freemason. Have been for nigh on 33 years. I was truly a boy of 21 when I joined. Don't go much any more, busy, etc. But the B&B is a lot like my Lodge; when I leave for home at the end of a meeting I feel better for having been there.

Down here in Louisiana we have krews centered around Mardi gras but I don't know that they have cool club houses or anything and they are not men only.

And the. We have stuff like that Masons and such. I think it would be cool if there were speak easies like back in 30s. Not because they have to be due to prohibition but just because they seemed kinda cool.

I would not call them true "gentleman's clubs" but.... In Palm Beach you have a number of social clubs catering to the rich and famous

https://www.bathandtennisclub.com/club/scripts/login/login.asp?NS=PUBLIC

Even their web site is private/exclusive :001_smile

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...bs-in-america/palm-beach-bath-and-tennis-club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everglades_Club

And yes, I've been in both the Everglades and the B&T as a "guest" on a number of occasions.

They are another world. Reminiscent of a long gone era that refuses to die in Palm Beach

Top Bottom