What's new

Discussion Thread for Robert Williams 10/8 Giraffe Review.....

Robert does great work as you can see, but more importantly he is a true gentlemen and delivers great service

Nothing ventured; nothing gained, Joel. :) The one below was pretty challenging. :)

proxy.php

But pretty is as pretty does, my first priority is always is to make a blade that is the finest shaver in the world. Cosmetics and aesthetics can be whatever someone wants to commission.

WOW!! Inlays on a razor blade. That is fantastic.

Very nice.

What a super review, Joel...fantastic. My only disagreement with it is your opinion that his finishing is crude. Having said that, chances are that like all of us, the longer he practices his chosen craft, the better he gets. I recently got a custom 7/8 from Robert. The entire process was wonderful. Robert's a really nice guy and passionate about all things made of sharp-edged steels. He made mine of a high-carbon forging, mirror-polished, and wearing wonderful Cocobolo wood scales. Since reading the reviews here, I've held mine and tried to see if I could share in any of the complaints. I cannot. There's simply nothing "crude" about the Williams that I just got. I felt that it was pretty much shave-ready when it arrived, and just a careful stropping had it shaving as amazingly as others have mentioned. His presentation box is of glossy wood, and beautiful. He includes an Allen wrench to adjust the pin. His inlaid brass "R" is very elegant. Mine featured a French Point, and the balance of it is exquisite. It shaves like a dream. I own razors from Dovo, TI, Henckels, Dubl Duck, and a number of other fine makers. This Robert Williams is just a cut above. For a custom razor of this quality, from a maker who offers a dizzying array of scale options and three blade steels, and does every single step of production himself, these are heirloom-quality bargains!

I have to say this razor is gorgeous... probably one of the best I've ever seen. I happen to like the "plain blade" look without all of the etchings and other stuff that you see on a lot of blades. Someday I might have to contact RW and splurge on one of his creations (although probably not 10/8 since that's one huge honkin' blade).

I did have a question on the review though - what type of steel is this made out of? Is this RW's super-hard stainless or standard high-carbon steel?

Thread back from the dead ... it looks like RW is no longer an active member on B&B (posts: n/a) - is he still making razors and accessible??

Top Bottom